Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Thread: NO PHOTOGRAPHY - Wheelock Place

Default Re: NO PHOTOGRAPHY - Wheelock Place

Quote Originally Posted by photographique View Post
    ... ...

The DSLR shutter is so darn loud...
    of course u can shoot, u r a blondie mah
    shutter is so darn loud... isn't that a film SLR
    Last edited by netidolweb; 17th December 2006 at 10:06 PM.

dslr's and slr's use the same mechanical mechanism - thats why theyre still slr's whether digital or not [though the 'live view' dslr's have changed this to a degree by not having a prism, meaning that a 'mirror slap' isnt incurred].
    some dslr's have slightly different technology involved in how their mechanisms work, even though the function is mechanically the same. My pentax is very loud, but my D2H appears to be dampened and is pretty quiet by comparison, and i *think* uses the same mechanism used in older analogue nikon pro bodies [like F5 or so].
    Last edited by wobbly; 18th December 2006 at 12:19 AM.
    *D700,D2X,D2H,Mamiya*

Some people watch too much movies. Just becasue you have a big cam and long lens makes you like a terrorist, spy, private investigator, stalker etc... Which person having these types of jobs in their right mind would use a big bulky camera? Movies have cast a wrong portrayal on many aspects of life such as stereotyping, racism, violence, wrongful usage of technology etc... Photography is a technological art. I think if you were to set up a canvas on the sidewalk and start painting a scene you would have less problems unless they don't want you making money out of paintings of their sculptures.

As photographers we still need to co-operate with enforcers of the law. We should answer questions in a calm and coherent manner, co-operate with requests. However, we should know our rights and not allow others to step over you. On a public space, taking pictures is not against the law unless you took unlawful pictures of people with unlawful intentions. Of course certain areas will render no-taking zones such as military installations but all these are clearly part of the written laws of the country. I believe that if managements don't want their buildings taken or their "public" sculptures photographed, then they should hide it on their private properties. Taking pictures from across the street or the public sidewalk is not illegal and they have no right to stop you.
    Last edited by JoshSiao; 18th December 2006 at 02:35 PM.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    u mean ppl is going to read signs b4 they shoot?

its same like the terms & condition before u enter a carpark... u got time to read? no rite... later when u read then u know that orrr... got such thing ar... so des neh...

its written on their terms and condition, but need not be explicit, and they can enforce it if they really want to... same like sg have a law against long hair, all hairstyle in sg should be of a guideline, now we dun care liao... if they enforce... i think all will cry foul.
    U may not know, but we do have such a law, 20yrs ago. As a result, Kitaro was given 2 choices either to snip his lock off or not to perform. He chose not to.

He subsequently returned (I think in year 2000 or what) and commented on that issue.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by iria View Post
    lets says there is a form that states you can take photos within the building but not for profits.

would any of you sign that form?
    Extremely ambiguous. Especially where the 'profits' may even cover the point of entering the shot in competitions.

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    U may not know, but we do have such a law, 20yrs ago. As a result, Kitaro was given 2 choices either to snip his lock off or not to perform. He chose not to.

He subsequently returned (I think in year 2000 or what) and commented on that issue.
    Kitaro issue think got something more to it than his long hair..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Long hair, breakdancing were deemed as 'decadent'. And these ppl who congregate to breakdance were formerly known as 'street corner gangs', liable to getting checked and were stereotyped with people 'who chase the dragon' (sniff Heroin, in normal words).

I was very, very young when all these things happened (it was way back in 1986 and 1987 when these issues were abound. Older folks shld remember the negative associations) but heck, these stuff were as clear as day as these became my daily literature reading when I was like... 10 or 11yrs old. And the label 'smart-aleck' stuck throughout my entire primary school life. Unfortunate to say the least, as much knowledge is a dangerous thing in my class that time.

Den, enough of the OT and back to our regular scheduled discussion of NO PHOTOGRAPHY.

The other day, a colleague was quizzing me about my 'numerous visits' to Japan (heck, there are alot of u frequenting China then I had been to Japan) and I brought up the subject of photography (both landscape AND street photography).

Perhaps its me, but with all these complaints as well as several extremely negative double-standard encounters previously had slowly led me to think that if our country is being not photographer friendly at all?

How many times do u guys encountered (when street shooting), everyone starts generating that 'negative aura of arrows' towards u whenever they see u with a DSLR sporting a standard zoom or long zoom? Maybe I'm just being too sensitive of my surroundings but somehow, none of my photos of street shoots turned out proper and I felt extremely pressurised whenever I'm shooting in my own country.

On the contrary, having went around Japan, OZ, Bangkok. Somehow everything just feels so relaxed as I could just sit there and shoot, be it landscapes or human subjects. If people do not want to be shot, they'd simply look away in a shy manner and u just give an apologetic smile (and the smile is returned) and turn around or move on and the negative aura would somehow vanish unlike here where the aura persists till u had disappeared from the person's eyes completely.

These days, I'm getting by with my handphone camera (no pocket PnS yet) and hasn't been stopped like what I'm using SLRs for.

The general conception (or misconception) probably follows:
    (D)SLR People
    - Working Professionals in the Photography Industry
    - Press People (yes, I've been asked if I'm from the press!)
    - Artists (this generally happens overseas where there's a thriving industry for artistic photography. I frequently get misunderstood by the hotel receptionists in Japan that I'm some kind of Professional Artist of some sort)
    - ISD Spies / Police Officers
    - Al'Qaeda Terrorists
    - Enforcement personnels from the various Ministries
    - Private Eyes
    - Rival companies

PnS Crowd
    - Amauter photographers
    - Tourists
    - Fooling around people, not for serious shots

Handphone Crowd
    - Fooling around people, not for serious shots
    - U must be a Japanese (esp if u're using a phone that's rarely seen around with a handphone hanger that looks pretty cute regardless of ur gender)

The general populace have this general mindset and we all know it. Lets face it, even with cheap (D)SLR systems these days and touting of (D)SLR systems 'for the family', the mindset that SLR systems are used by working professionals (and all those that I'd listed) still hasn't changed much and people who use SLRs are still considered as a 'niche group'.

It doesn't help a lot when people DO OWN SLR systems but refused to bring those out even for casual outings with friends to make SLR system to be generally accepted probably due to the following reasons:
    - Scared paiseh (cos the SLR system is deemed to be 'professional' and if the pictures turn out badly, the camera owner would be faulted regardless).
    - Unwieldly size (lets admit it, even with the the lightest 50mm f/1.8 prime, its STILL unwieldly).
    - Scared spoil (since these systems cost at least $1000 to a poop, people seem to be obsessed in protecting their system than to going all out for a photo. To most, a thousand-dollar camera is more important than a priceless piece of photo).
    - Showoff mode (humans are materialistic. If u can afford a $1000 camera u must be rich. There seems to be a rise in showoffs of late, can't help but notice).

All these little things, with the contribution of stereotypes, eventually culminates in a 'assumed culture' where eventually street photography is frowned upon. To be honest, I'd rather spend that buck, go overseas for street photography than to do it here since there seems to be a generally unfriendly bunch of people all around.
    Last edited by jsbn; 18th December 2006 at 04:20 PM.

Singapore is is a camera shy place. Sad situation for photographers.

Singapore also has the most obnoxious collection of private building security guards. Very inconvienent for photographers.

So, what should we do about it to change the shyness and to combat bad behavior?
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post

Singapore also has the most obnoxious collection of private building security guards. Very inconvienent for photographers.

So, what should we do about it to change the shyness and to combat bad behavior?
    Do it like all the complain-king/queen singaporeans! Write in to Straits Times Forum!

Every year around this time, this type post sure come on clubsnap. read alot of it last year....contributed some too..... Its a never ending post.
    "Photography is an austere and blazing poetry of the real" -Ansel Adams

Just now I went out shooting at kopitiam behind my house, and around the shops. Everywhere I shoot almost sure will have people looking at me, as if there's a phobia of cameras.

Especially when I was taking a stack of chairs (nice repeating patterns), and when I turned around to shoot something, I notice a man walk out of the kopitiam and looking at me, as if I was a terrorist or some bad guy. I pretended to ignore, actually I was using the reflecting off my LCD screen to look at him when I was shooting. He came out another time to 'check' on me.

I always use my LCD screen as a kind of 'rearview mirror' to check if there's anyone looking at me.

Maybe he thinks you're mad or something to be shooting a stack of chairs.

The Threat of the Chair Bomber!

I've had people look at me funny too when I'm squatting by the side of the road shooting reflections in puddles.

Lolz! Better keep the LCD screen polished, good idea to use redstone.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Maybe he thinks you're mad or something to be shooting a stack of chairs.

The Threat of the Chair Bomber!

I've had people look at me funny too when I'm squatting by the side of the road shooting reflections in puddles.
    Bloody vouyer, admit it! U're shooting people up their skirts thru the reflection of a puddle!!!

Joking there. I was just reminded of an article where a Photographer was almost assaulted when he was shooting pictures of children and some chaps thought it was paedophilia photography of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post

Unfortunate to say the least my dear friend.

But typically its the general mindset that imbunes in most, that they do not want to be caught in an 'ugly situation' or 'they are not looking their best'.

Unfortunately, most do not realise that Photographers do not aspire to capture 'that ugly moment' and do not fully understand the true principles behind the idea of Street Photography or the Journalistic style of photography which serves to freeze the motion and serve to remind the subject of that fleeting decisive moment.

I'm not rich, experienced or influential enough to organise such a talk and those photo exhibition to the public though. Maybe someone more richer, experienced & influential would wanna give this a go?

Bad impression of photographers...

Quote Originally Posted by JoshSiao View Post
    Lolz! Better keep the LCD screen polished, good idea to use redstone.
    Haha! Thanks!

Right eye look through viewfinder. Aim and compose.

Left eye look out for people on left front side.

Right eye also look on LCD screen as rearview mirror to see if anyone's behind on my right side.

cubsnap need to come out with some champaign to enlighten the camera shy s'porean?

Quote Originally Posted by netidolweb View Post
    of course u can shoot, u r a blondie mah
    shutter is so darn loud... isn't that a film SLR
    ...what do you mean by blondie...I'm not...XD

I used D200, the sound was pretty loud... .

I think it all doesn't matter really, just go any photos you want...nobody will bother you.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789