Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NO PHOTOGRAPHY - Wheelock Place

Default Re: NO PHOTOGRAPHY - Wheelock Place

Walk pass Wheelock place.. don't bother to even walk in to get Magazine.. walk straight to Kinokoniya at Taka... KNS.. one less customer + families... I think border should move out of this shitty place..

Unforunately, when I read all this, I really want to go out and 'test' the guards, but that would mean I am causing a lot of trouble for the sake of it. but it's just that feeling I get, to go out there and take photos and get told to move on, then at least I can come here on clubsnap and complain about how many times I've been told by the guard to moveon.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Shouldn't they put up a "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" sign indoors if its the "policy"?

Quote Originally Posted by wahZe View Post
    Shouldn't they put up a "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" sign indoors if its the "policy"?
    u mean ppl is going to read signs b4 they shoot?

its same like the terms & condition before u enter a carpark... u got time to read? no rite... later when u read then u know that orrr... got such thing ar... so des neh...

its written on their terms and condition, but need not be explicit, and they can enforce it if they really want to... same like sg have a law against long hair, all hairstyle in sg should be of a guideline, now we dun care liao... if they enforce... i think all will cry foul.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Was at Wheelock Place over the weekend, the guard was watching me taking photo, when I smiled at him and he smiled at me too!

Quote Originally Posted by andrOo View Post
    agreed with what you guys say on the double standard in singapore, went to a shop and wanted to buy something, but once an ang moh comes in then he just ignore me and went to entertain him. Even thou we're buying the same thing, $30, but his S$30 dollars seem to look like $30 pounds to them.
    Maybe it is not so much of a double standard. It could just simply be a case of stereotyping a caucasian as a tourist. Tourist could also be stereotyped as more willing to spend more or easier to dope.
    We do have caucasian that are sg PRs. But many people in sg just do not seem to register this in their minds and treat all caucasians as tourist.

Btw, stereotyping means : One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.

vince123123
    Guests

I don't mind joining you if you're intending to form a team to test guards

Quote Originally Posted by adamadam View Post
    Unforunately, when I read all this, I really want to go out and 'test' the guards, but that would mean I am causing a lot of trouble for the sake of it. but it's just that feeling I get, to go out there and take photos and get told to move on, then at least I can come here on clubsnap and complain about how many times I've been told by the guard to moveon.

Quote Originally Posted by bartman View Post
    Maybe it is not so much of a double standard. It could just simply be a case of stereotyping a caucasian as a tourist. Tourist could also be stereotyped as more willing to spend more or easier to dope.
    We do have caucasian that are sg PRs. But many people in sg just do not seem to register this in their minds and treat all caucasians as tourist.

Btw, stereotyping means : One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.
    It is double standard ... It happened to me when I'm night shooting the statues outside Millenia Walk. Yes I'm using a tripod. I ask him why is it tourists can shoot and I cannot, he said cos they're tourists. So I told him, he wanna call the police, or I call the police for him ... Then he walk away, and I continue shooting ....
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

In places where there is a big, explicit "no photography" sign put up, I definitely will comply (example: People's Park Centre. It's on all the entrances that lead into the centre.). If you don't make it explicitly clear, how do you expect peopel to comply, furthermore after being approached by an anal, unfriendly guard bent on preventing usage of any and all pro (read pro-looking) photographic equipment?

vince123123
    Guests

Actually, I think the existence or absence of a sign is immaterial. If they don't put a sign, all you have to do is to leave the premises when they stop you.

Even if they put a sign, their rights are probably almost the same, which is to ask you to leave. There's nothing much else they can do.

All these are based on the assumptions that you are on their premises.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Actually, I think the existence or absence of a sign is immaterial. If they don't put a sign, all you have to do is to leave the premises when they stop you.

Even if they put a sign, their rights are probably almost the same, which is to ask you to leave. There's nothing much else they can do.

All these are based on the assumptions that you are on their premises.
    The problem is, we as photographers, what are we doing about it? Nothing! We complained about the treatment here on CS, and maybe on other forums. Do we really bring it to the management? Do we complained to the businesses, telling them the bad treatment we received from the mall security/management? That we will no long shop/eat/buy at their store because of these bad treatments?

Unless we do that, we are just letting steam off. That is ok, that is healthy, and please do so here, and not at your friends and family.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

I thot this topic was beaten to death already?

I think they have the right not to put up signs saying "No Photography" allowed. Think that's the norm these days to the point that having no sign does not mean you can take pictures. It's the same overseas too. I'm ok with this ruling though of cos as one who is interested in photography, I'm disappointed. Blame it on terrorism perhaps.

Sometimes people tend to blame the poor security guards who I feel are just doing their jobs. They have to listen to their supervisor who in turn has to listen to some other higher management. But as enthusiastic hobbyists, we tend to let photography rule our heads. To me, if they don't allow me to take, then so be it. Some architectural structures in Singapore may be interesting at best but seriously, none that I would go ga-ga over.

But what I cannot stand is the preferential treatment that tourists get, if it does happen. I guess that's our culture here. It sux. It's the need to suck up to foreigners. It's about $ and cents. Sigh. After so many years, since sec school, I've been grappling with what it means to be Singaporean! Lack a strong sense of identity.

As for complaining but not taking action.. ha... that's our culture too! Yeah Forum pages and elsewhere will be filled with nicely written protests about certain issues. (For once, you might wonder wow, Singaporeans can actually write good English amidst all that Singlish!) But we all know in the end, like it or not, we all somehow accept whatever has been thrown to us, isn't it?

Welcome to Singapore.
    Last edited by Priscilia; 7th December 2006 at 03:02 PM.

Thumbs down Re: NO PHOTOGRAPHY - Wheelock Place

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post
    But what I cannot stand is the preferential treatment that tourists get, if it does happen. I guess that's our culture here. It sux. It's the need to suck up to foreigners. It's about $ and cents. Sigh. After so many years, since sec school, I've been grappling with what it means to be Singaporean! Lack a strong sense of identity.

Welcome to Singapore.
    Yup, this is a great disappointment to me ... I'd prefer the previlages given to foreigners / tourists reduced. All these previlages has even changed their attitude towards us. Made them think they're big, made them arrogant and so on (some of them, not all which I encountered). Just take a look at their behavior in public places.
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post

I think they have the right not to put up signs saying "No Photography" allowed. Think that's the norm these days to the point that having no sign does not mean you can take pictures. It's the same overseas too. I'm ok with this ruling though of cos as one who is interested in photography, I'm disappointed. Blame it on terrorism perhaps.

But what I cannot stand is the preferential treatment that tourists get, if it does happen. I guess that's our culture here. It sux.

As for complaining but not taking action.. ha... that's our culture too! ... But we all know in the end, like it or not, we all somehow accept whatever has been thrown to us, isn't it?

Welcome to Singapore.
    We still should not take BS thrown our way without protest. This no photography thing, aimed at DSLR, is absolutely stupid. Unfortunately, people in singapore just take whatever is thrown at them without uttering a single word of protest.

Preferential treatment, well, again, it sucks, but are we doing anything about it? Guess not, except maybe for a few loud mouth like me. We need more loud mouths.

Cannot blame it on anything but ourselves.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Maybe we should have these sticky posts here:

A) Photographer-Friendly Buildings
    1. Raffles City
    2. Takashimaya
    3. Suntec City
    4. Marina Square
    5. Vivo-city
    6. Scotts

B) Photographer-Hostile Buildings
    1. Paragon
    2. Wheelock Place
    3. Raffles Hotel
    always the Light, .... always.

Raffles Hotel is not that bad. As long as you don't use a tripod, they are quite ok.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

As stated earlier, I did write in to the management to enquire about this "No Photography" rule that the guard mentioned...

Wheelock Place at night is quite nice, but i guess by the time we compose our shots and set the ideal settings, we'll be stopped by the guard, but for day time i think its ok, just go in like any other people, casually take out P&S and shoot.

So how about the colourful balls and fountain at Capital Tower? Once I went there with my tripod at night, and while i was setting up, all the beautiful lights under the fountain went off! it was only 8.30pm and they off the lights?! Anyone knows whether it is legal to shoot there or need to ask the management for permission?

Whenever the security guards see a photog with a DSLR, they give u very suspicious looks, like u work for the terrorists association.

Quote Originally Posted by adelynn88 View Post
    Wheelock Place at night is quite nice, but i guess by the time we compose our shots and set the ideal settings, we'll be stopped by the guard, but for day time i think its ok, just go in like any other people, casually take out P&S and shoot.

So how about the colourful balls and fountain at Capital Tower? Once I went there with my tripod at night, and while i was setting up, all the beautiful lights under the fountain went off! it was only 8.30pm and they off the lights?! Anyone knows whether it is legal to shoot there or need to ask the management for permission?

Whenever the security guards see a photog with a DSLR, they give u very suspicious looks, like u work for the terrorists association.
    Which terrorist in his right mind will use a big DSLR, big lens, big tripod shooting in whole view of public when a PnS or pinhole camera will most certainlly conceal his evil motive?

confiscate my foot!

Nobody has the right to take our personal belongings, except the police and only when there is evidence of criminal intentions.

If any non-police threaten you, ask for his name and position, and his manager and tell them that you are going to call the police on the spot for being threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs99 View Post
    i find usually double standards usually happens....find a big sized plump caucasion, ask him dress up like a tourist and bring a mean looking camera in there to shoot. Usually they won't stop him. For locals, we will be approach and threatened to have our cameras/film/memory card confiscated. Maybe locals are more likely candidates of looking like terrorists. :P

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast