Thread: Using DSLR in backpacking

Default Using DSLR in backpacking

Hi guys,

do you have problem using DSLR in backpacking for a long time travel? to remote place?

I find DSLR is still not the best companion for a backpacking..what do you think?

Do you have issue in battery, storage care corrupt, keep reviewing image on the spot, exaggerated quantity of photo..then decide which to delete which to keep..

share me your view, like what u think is good or bad, and how you handle it..

Something i am a bit puzzled..like for a few days trip, 10 rolls of film could be quite enough for me, that's mean 360 photos.. but for the same trip, friend using Digital camera can take much more than 300++..

Default Re: Using DSLR in backpacking

Problem is weight. Much heavier than those PnS cams. Then also the weight of lens.

Remote place? How remote? If got electricity then not too bad already. Or else u can try to use solar panel to charge the batt (but damm ex). But with a grip and few batteries, should not be a major concern.

Pic storage can be transferred to hd. Or get more CF, more affordable these days.

As for if u use Digital cam u tend to be more trigger friendly. At least for me. No cost involve (unless u toking about more wear n tear)

I think the main consideration is Still WEIGHT.

Three main considerations for me :
    1. Weight
    2. Bulk
    3. Power

The issue of trigger-happy is really a personal thing. The digital photog shooting 10x more than the film shooter doesn't say much abt the photographic content . I find that after a no. of trips, even as a digital shooter, I tend to shoot less with more experience (ie. more selective in my shots). And guess what? It somewhat alleviates prob #3, ie. with a single battery, I shoot more, recharge less.
    Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by nuts View Post
    Three main considerations for me :
    1. Weight
    2. Bulk
    3. Power

The issue of trigger-happy is really a personal thing. The digital photog shooting 10x more than the film shooter doesn't say much abt the photographic content . I find that after a no. of trips, even as a digital shooter, I tend to shoot less with more experience (ie. more selective in my shots). And guess what? It somewhat alleviates prob #3, ie. with a single battery, I shoot more, recharge less.
    Think about it
    O well, so it could be we should use 'shooting film' attitude to shot in digital? so we will really make digital an real advantage =)

i usuall bring FM2, 50mm lense, a 35mm P&S.. so i can't imagine bring something 2kg more to travel around..=)

well...cards get corrupted...film also can get spoilt....

with digital at least u can decide what to keep...what if u took only that one shot and its not idea?

there are certain advantages to shooting in a digital format i presume...and whatever the format...there are its risks etc..

enjoy ya trip

cheers

you could actually shoot less with digital because you already know the output. with film, you're less sure and might need more shots and bracketing. most people simply shoot more with digital because it is "free".

weight wise, I usually travel with around 2kg of DSLR gear (20D without grip+Sigma 18-125) including a tripod (slik sprint pro gm)! Additional CF and batteries add a bit more weight.

I totally agree with the guys here, taking time to compose gives the desired output The weight of your equipment depends on what you are going to shoot during your trip. Most people take wider shots rather than zoom.

For me personally, I just bring along my D70s with 17-55 f2.8 & 50 f1.8 (backup for low light), and A80 P&S

backpacking with DSLR !? it's going to be very siong manz.... why not get a Fujifilm F30 ? the photos are as good as DSLR....

Quote Originally Posted by Witness View Post
    well...cards get corrupted...film also can get spoilt....

with digital at least u can decide what to keep...what if u took only that one shot and its not idea?

there are certain advantages to shooting in a digital format i presume...and whatever the format...there are its risks etc..

enjoy ya trip

cheers
    I agree there are risk in everything =)

but i seldom hear film spoilt ha, and cards get corrupted is quite normal right?
    all my days using film, i made 2 kind of mistake..one time is i didn't load the film and keep shooting on a family short trip..then i surprise..why after 37 still 38 frames? keep counting.. ha, but after i realise u can actually confirm it by checking the 'winder'..without film, it would not wind together.

Another kind is open the back cover without rewinding film..it all happened that my friend was talking to me and i tried to handle many things at one time ha, but actually if u close up quickly..and usually one few photo maybe get affected by light leakage =)

I thought of bringing mine to cambodia backpacking

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    backpacking with DSLR !? it's going to be very siong manz.... why not get a Fujifilm F30 ? the photos are as good as DSLR....
    Why am i hearing all the good thing about F30... so good is it. feel like getting one