Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Hi,

    I bought a Tokina 67mm CPL Optical Filter few days back and discovered that one side of the glass is very smooth and clear while the other side is spotty, like with uncleanable oil/water stains.

    I'm bringing it to exchange, but I'm wondering if I should exchange (perhaps pay a little more?) for the Hoya version?

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member scandisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    4,617

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    tokina or hoya ??....check this out (shots taken with tokina cpl)...

    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=236342

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    looks good, thanks!

    Too bad don't have Hoya ones to compare. I'll search the web.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    Hi,

    I bought a Tokina 67mm CPL Optical Filter few days back and discovered that one side of the glass is very smooth and clear while the other side is spotty, like with uncleanable oil/water stains.

    I'm bringing it to exchange, but I'm wondering if I should exchange (perhaps pay a little more?) for the Hoya version?

    What do you think?
    If I don't remember wrongly, I think they are the same thing. Can't remember if it's Hoya who made for Tokina or the other way round.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 5th December 2006 at 12:23 PM.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    If I don't remember wrongly, I think they are the same thing. Can't remember if it's Hoya who made for Tokina or the other way round.
    Went to John 3:16 yesterday and the guy kindly opened up the Hoya for me to see. I compared to my Tokina one and the Hoya seems ligher in colour to my dark Tokina...

    But I did read the Hoya supplies lenses to Tokina.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    Went to John 3:16 yesterday and the guy kindly opened up the Hoya for me to see. I compared to my Tokina one and the Hoya seems ligher in colour to my dark Tokina...

    But I did read the Hoya supplies lenses to Tokina.
    Hmm. Interesting. Then they should be different. Maybe it's only the HMC Super skylight filter that's supposedly the same.

  7. #7
    Senior Member scandisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    4,617

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    IIRC....Tokina printed at the bottom of the Hoya filter case...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    So since one supplies to another... I assume they should be about the same bah, no need to spend extra money on the Hoya?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Just went to change. Wanted to change back to Tokina CPL but they were out, so I paid a bit more for the Hoya, which, at the back, said, "Manufactured by Tokina".

    So I guess it's Tokina making for Hoya...

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    Just went to change. Wanted to change back to Tokina CPL but they were out, so I paid a bit more for the Hoya, which, at the back, said, "Manufactured by Tokina".

    So I guess it's Tokina making for Hoya...
    yup.. most if not all hoya filters were made by tokina, but somehow i feel that hoya is better... could be due to me favouring hoya more =x. but i think most tokina filters come uncoated, while there are coated ones from hoya

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Hoya OEMed for Tokina.

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    If I don't remember wrongly, I think they are the same thing. Can't remember if it's Hoya who made for Tokina or the other way round.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    I read that the polarizing filter can be adjusted (rotated).

    My Hoya one cannot be spun, so how to adjust? Unscrew it somewhat?

  13. #13
    Senior Member scandisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    4,617

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    I read that the polarizing filter can be adjusted (rotated).

    My Hoya one cannot be spun, so how to adjust? Unscrew it somewhat?
    there're 2 types - linear and circular polarizers. circular polarizer is the one that can be rotated.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Quote Originally Posted by scandisk View Post
    there're 2 types - linear and circular polarizers. circular polarizer is the one that can be rotated.
    Both Linear Pol and Circular Pol can be rotated. Those that cannot rotate are ND (neutral density) filters, not polarizing filters.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    hmmmm the casing says CPL.

    The Tokina one I had could be rotated when I screwed it onto the lens, but not the new Hoya one I exchanged it for yesterday.

    It seems the only way to rotate it is to unscrew it a little?

  16. #16
    Senior Member scandisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    4,617

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Both Linear Pol and Circular Pol can be rotated. Those that cannot rotate are ND (neutral density) filters, not polarizing filters.
    then what are the different effects the linear and cpl have on pictures taken ?? different contrast in the colours ??

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Polariser doesn't work if cannot rotate the two pieces relatively....the lightwave cancellation will always be the same angle......not good. So must be able to rotate.

    Quote Originally Posted by scandisk View Post
    there're 2 types - linear and circular polarizers. circular polarizer is the one that can be rotated.

  18. #18
    Senior Member scandisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tampines, Singapore
    Posts
    4,617

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Both Linear Pol and Circular Pol can be rotated. Those that cannot rotate are ND (neutral density) filters, not polarizing filters.
    Quote Originally Posted by lastboltnut View Post
    Polariser doesn't work if cannot rotate the two pieces relatively....the lightwave cancellation will always be the same angle......not good. So must be able to rotate.
    ok ok learn something here....i thot one cannot be rotated

  19. #19

    Default Re: Tokina 67mm CPL or Hoya CPL?

    Quote Originally Posted by scandisk View Post
    then what are the different effects the linear and cpl have on pictures taken ?? different contrast in the colours ??
    IMO, linear pol works more effectively but unfortunately, they will affect the AF of modern SLRs where the sensor is under the main mirror, so in the central portion, it's actually a half mirror for some of the light to pass to the AF sensor. Unfortunately, a half mirror is by nature a linear polarizer also, so if you used a linear polarizer, at certain polarization angle, the light will not penetrate the half mirror to get to the AF sensor.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •