Thread: Aperture

Default Aperture

Hello, I'm new to photography, so will someone explain what's a small aperture's used for? (F22)Thanks!

Default Re: Aperture

Quote Originally Posted by aq12345 View Post
    Hello, I'm new to photography, so will someone explain what's a small aperture's used for? (F22)Thanks!
    from my experience... i only use f22 for 2 stuff.

1) Macro, to get a full view of the small object, cos when u engage macro, the DOF become shallow, so u need smaller aperture to get more DOF

2) Bright sunlight or lightsource. for eg, shooting silouette with sun or flash on the back, or shooting a brightly lighted area without additional filters
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Small aperture used for deeper (or wider) depth of field. Also to maximum cut down the amount of light pass through the lens.

Small aperture doesn't mean the best aperture for the lens. Sweet spot (or the sweetest aperture) for the lens usually (but not always) 1 or 2 step down from maximum aperture.

Regards,
    Arto.
    Last edited by Artosoft; 5th December 2006 at 12:07 PM.

Pro
    1. Increase DOF, useful for macro photography
    2. Slow down the shutter speed, useful for silky effect on water flowing or long exposure for stars trail, etc
    3. Star bust effect on bright source like Sun

Con
    1. Causes dusts visible on photo easily
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Quote Originally Posted by megaweb View Post

Con
    1. Causes dusts visible on photo easily
    Sometimes you purposely want to do that to spot where the dust is so you can clean it off.

One more thing to add, f/22 when used on a digital sensor (>10mp) will not improve sharpness further because of diffraction limitations. Smallest aperture you should use is f/11 or f/16.