Thread: Tripods

Default Tripods

Hi,

Are there any specific guidelines from Canon regarding the max lens weight that
    the camera body will safely hold when attached to a tripod ? Or, does one simply attach
    the lens to the tripod whenever one sees a strap on the lens ?

I have a grip on the 350 D, which makes the body heavier than otherwise....

many thanks

Default Re: Tripods

Quote Originally Posted by ganand01 View Post
    Hi,

Are there any specific guidelines from Canon regarding the max lens weight that
    the camera body will safely hold when attached to a tripod ? Or, does one simply attach
    the lens to the tripod whenever one sees a strap on the lens ?

I have a grip on the 350 D, which makes the body heavier than otherwise....

many thanks
    Please advise as I also want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipha View Post
    Please advise as I also want to know.
    Usually lenses that can be safely put on a camera that can be then placed on the tripod are the ones without collars.

I think lens manufacturers have put thought into designing their products. I guess it would be safe to say that if you see a collar on the lens, use it.

You wouldn't put a 70-200mm L lens on a camera and then not use the collar to mount it on the tripod. You are asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper View Post
    Usually lenses that can be safely put on a camera that can be then placed on the tripod are the ones without collars.

I think lens manufacturers have put thought into designing their products. I guess it would be safe to say that if you see a collar on the lens, use it.

You wouldn't put a 70-200mm L lens on a camera and then not use the collar to mount it on the tripod. You are asking for trouble.
    Thanks but I am not into L lens yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hondasleeper View Post

Tks, one more question.

A few of these "heavy" lenses have a removable strap instead of a fixed collar, and do
    we apply the same rule to these ?

tks again

The collars are found on most long lenses 200mm and up they don't necessarily have to be L lenses. Don't get caught up in the whole prime lens rat race. Buy what you can afford. If you can't afford it no one is going to look down on you, thought there will be soem who will. The images that you produce will say more than having a L lens but can't take a decent image to save your life.

What strap are you talking about?? Can you show me an example?