Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: imac vs pc graphics

Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    PC users tend to install more things to "try out" and then uninstall.... these leave traces behind that can clog the PC. If you use a PC and run XP, it is recommanded to install this:
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

CCleaner cleans the XP OS so you'd regain some space and more importantly have a leaner registry....

ANyway, I am using both PC with XP and Apple with OSX....

PC is more value for money when it comes to raw power. Apple OSX is not bad too. Its really Apples and Oranges...

If I go out, I prefer to bring along my Apple - its white and looks presentable...
    At home, both has its advantages.... like I said raw power to the PC. Esp if you slap a good graphics card on it.
    so, that's why my PC boot up time is getting longer and longer

Long time not toying with PC config, but I remember see SATA2 and many of my friends try RAID setup like 2-3 500gb... 4gb ram, 20" wide screen and they are really happy... I think the only reason why I will jump ship would be the OOOshhhh......factor..

Just my minor point of view. For raid setup, it benefit the most for those who wish to protect their work in case something went corrupted. Raid works by mirroring data to two or more HDs. So if one not working, you still have others. There is another way that raid can benefit users, however I am not sure about this.

If a person want a lot future expansions, a tower PC or PowerPC (used to be powermac...I really miss this name) will be the choice.

I have used an imac that I haven't reboot for almost a year, and that's because the power tripped a year back. It has been stable since.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    so, that's why my PC boot up time is getting longer and longer

Quote Originally Posted by waiyean View Post
    I have used an imac that I haven't reboot for almost a year, and that's because the power tripped a year back. It has been stable since.
    now that's impressive, my laptop, 3 days no reboot... open photoshop cs will lag like nobody biz...

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    you can open it and pop in RAM lah. Dunno about harddisk. Display card definately cannot change.

One thing you must note is that currently Photoshop CS2 is not written natively for the intel imacs and thus the performance is OSX not as good if you run photoshop in Windows.
    Install Apple Boot Camp (free public Beta on Apple webbie)
    Run Windows
    Run CS2.

There. =D

And CS3 is out btw.

hi guys, what's the LARGEST LCD monitor in the market now?
    i tried searching hardwarezone and they only showed 20inch is the largest.
    i'm looking for the imac size of 24 inch.
    can recommend?

also, would it be possible to buy a LCD TV to be my desktop monitor?any pros and cons?

thanks.
    i'm still in love with the imac 24inch but i really dont think i wanna learn mac.

I think there is an Apple 30" LCD monitor. Will need a lot of graphic power to run that monster.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Dell is having a promotion for their 30" LCD @ $1799 only !

normal price is $3299,clearing stock for the new model i guess..

well, you can't make a PC to look as sexy as a iMac, but you can make them like masculine

Wah , you guys still at this ...
    PCs and Macs are best at what they were built to do.
    PCs -> Versatility. Custom build to your hearts content
    Macs -> User friendliness. It gives the user a certain level of quality that is good enough for professional work. Best for users who don't really care how it works just that it works for you

As for the screen, it depends on what you do.
    Monitors are made for text/still images while LCD TVs are for moving images. You can use a LCDTV but its still not sharp enough ; eyes getting strained easily trying to read the text.

A 32" monitor is likely the limit for desktop work (without getting neck/eye strain). For gaming, a 37" is the most I'll go - Great for RTS games :P Not for the nausea-vulnerable

If you can, wait for the 2nd revision of the upcoming Dell 30". That will be close enough to Apple's 30", according to Mac users's expectations. Price shouldn't be more than a 70-200VR

i'm looking for maybe 24 inch equivilant, non mac.

so lcd tv is out of the question lah.hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i'm looking for maybe 24 inch equivilant, non mac.

so lcd tv is out of the question lah.hmmm...
    If you are using for photo editing, colour accuracy and resolution are quite important. A LCD TV can't give you that. At the moment, a 24" LCD TV can only give you 1366x768 resolution.

Go for the Dell 24" LCD monitor, or if your budget allows, get the Eizo
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    hi guys, what's the LARGEST LCD monitor in the market now?
    i tried searching hardwarezone and they only showed 20inch is the largest.
    i'm looking for the imac size of 24 inch.
    can recommend?

thanks.
    i'm still in love with the imac 24inch but i really dont think i wanna learn mac.
    take a trip down Sim Lim Sq & u'll see 24" LCDs. hardwarezone website doesn't have a very comprehensive coverage of the products in the shops.

if u really like the mac display, buy it lah. it shud work on wintel machines as well since its using standard DVI-D interface, juz like any other. again for me, i'll go for other brands for the same budget or cheaper alternatives. happy shopping.

edited: juz make sure ur graphics card can support that kind of hi rez.
    Last edited by nightpiper; 28th December 2006 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
    PCs -> Versatility. Custom build to your hearts content
    Macs -> User friendliness. It gives the user a certain level of quality that is good enough for professional work. Best for users who don't really care how it works just that it works for you

PCs also can do a lot of pro work like CAD, 2D/3D animation, video production & the best part is... its easily configurable to be clustered. u can also test out for urself, run FreeBSD on PC & do the same on the mac (kernal running FreeBSD), which one more painful to configure. quality comes with a price, anyone can build a better machine with more budget. u want a mac pro equivalent? buy urself a server board & run dual duo core Xeon (quad core). super stable & reliable.

ok guys, thanks.seems like got to make another trip to SLS.sigh...
    dislike going that place...

parking is tight and limited for one.

There are no 24" panels that is of the same color consistency as the 23".

Personally, since most of us are just hobbyists, color accuracy isn't that important. If you can't see the color difference between 23" and 24" , then it doesn't really matter . In which case if you really can't wait, get the current Dell 30", its clearing stock @ $1799. Even lower than Sitex IIRC. About the same price as Mac's 23"

Quote Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
    If you can, wait for the 2nd revision of the upcoming Dell 30". That will be close enough to Apple's 30", according to Mac users's expectations. Price shouldn't be more than a 70-200VR
    from what I have read on the net, the apple 30" is more or less identical image production wise to the current dell 30" and probably also the new HP 30"...maybe you know something we don't?

Quote Originally Posted by wahgongzai View Post
    Just my minor point of view. For raid setup, it benefit the most for those who wish to protect their work in case something went corrupted. Raid works by mirroring data to two or more HDs. So if one not working, you still have others. There is another way that raid can benefit users, however I am not sure about this.
    there are different grades of RAID setup...the common ones are RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, RAID 5...

in short, RAID can make your disk excess faster or safer or both, depending on which grade you use, which would also mean different numbers of harddrives required...

help me out on this one guys.

http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

i checked out the specs, i think the response time not that great?
    30 inch a bit too big.if i do get it, i reckon i'll have to sit further back to do PS.

i use my com for photoshopping, spreadsheets, and occasionally games.

looking at the 24 inch.

help help!
    good or not?worth getting or not?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast