Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 231

Thread: imac vs pc graphics

  1. #81
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    What accessories are overpriced?

  2. #82

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Which accessories are over priced?

    1) Printers?
    2) Scanners?
    3) Keyboard?
    4) Mouse?
    5) RAM?
    6) hard disk?
    7) Optical drive?

    Unless you are referring to
    1) Apple's Wireless cards
    2) Apple's built-in BT
    Yes they are more pricey than PC equivalents but you know they work for sure and the update patches are reliable mostly.

    Unless one wants to complete the Mac look and everything must have Apple logo or Made-for-Mac logo, otherwise most accessories are not overpriced. And if you buy from an Apple retailer you are asking to be over-charged, all the Mac die hards buy they stuff from Sim Lim Sq most of the time.

    I strongly suggest a visit to http://www.macusersg.org/forums/ to ask about overpriced accessories and where to get those cheaper Mac accessories

    Again to each his/her own

  3. #83

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    sigh...yesterday went back to see the 24 inch imac.
    piang eh...very very hard to resist the temptation man...

  4. #84

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    sigh...yesterday went back to see the 24 inch imac.
    piang eh...very very hard to resist the temptation man...
    Go ahead and buy..... it's nice..... it's cool..... it's sexy.... you MUST OWN IT!!!!!

  5. #85

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by jasongcp View Post
    Go ahead and buy..... it's nice..... it's cool..... it's sexy.... you MUST OWN IT!!!!!

  6. #86

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    actually I also very very tempted... but heng.. bonus is bad this year... no chance to have make this decision you are making now.... LOL.... alternative.. sign Singnet get the 17" version... hmm....

  7. #87

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by jasongcp View Post
    actually I also very very tempted... but heng.. bonus is bad this year... no chance to have make this decision you are making now.... LOL.... alternative.. sign Singnet get the 17" version... hmm....
    it's 24 inch or NOTHING.

  8. #88

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    it's 24 inch or NOTHING.
    haiz.. not everyone as fortunate as you. However I do wonder... 24" can look comfortably on desktop or not? last time I got a CRT 19" I already have to swing my head all around to search for icons.. LOL

  9. #89

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by jasongcp View Post
    haiz.. not everyone as fortunate as you. However I do wonder... 24" can look comfortably on desktop or not? last time I got a CRT 19" I already have to swing my head all around to search for icons.. LOL
    i stood there and played with the picture album for about 20 minutes.very 'viewable'.
    and when the picture opened up full screen, i was flabbergasted again and again.

    fortunate?please...i didnt buy it fyi.cos i was thinking if i buy, what's gonna happen to my 19incher pc at home?

    but i really love the sleek look of the mac.not to mention it has no tower.saves sooooooooo much space.

  10. #90

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    i stood there and played with the picture album for about 20 minutes.very 'viewable'.
    and when the picture opened up full screen, i was flabbergasted again and again.

    fortunate?please...i didnt buy it fyi.cos i was thinking if i buy, what's gonna happen to my 19incher pc at home?

    but i really love the sleek look of the mac.not to mention it has no tower.saves sooooooooo much space.
    Oh dearest jeanie, I will really love to adopt your 19" pc haha... i will volunteer my strength at your service to help you carry the 24" home.... You can't resist the superb image quality a APPLE can give you... crunching time.... GO FOR IT.....

  11. #91
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Let me sum it up for you. From what I learnt in my short time thus far in CS.

    BBB!! MTL!!

  12. #92
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Let me sum it up for you. From what I learnt in my short time thus far in CS.

    BBB!! MTL!!
    you are learning fast. well done

    jeanie, i can look after your 19" LCD
    you can depend on me

  13. #93

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    you are learning fast. well done

    jeanie, i can look after your 19" LCD
    you can depend on me

  14. #94

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by VR Man View Post
    Which accessories are over priced?

    1) Printers?
    2) Scanners?
    3) Keyboard?
    4) Mouse?
    5) RAM?
    6) hard disk?
    7) Optical drive?

    Unless you are referring to
    1) Apple's Wireless cards
    2) Apple's built-in BT
    Yes they are more pricey than PC equivalents but you know they work for sure and the update patches are reliable mostly.

    Unless one wants to complete the Mac look and everything must have Apple logo or Made-for-Mac logo, otherwise most accessories are not overpriced. And if you buy from an Apple retailer you are asking to be over-charged, all the Mac die hards buy they stuff from Sim Lim Sq most of the time.

    I strongly suggest a visit to http://www.macusersg.org/forums/ to ask about overpriced accessories and where to get those cheaper Mac accessories

    Again to each his/her own
    yes, to each his own & i do like choices. thx for the link, i'm sure it'll benefit many mac users here. my point is: if the display setup is done properly, no diff from mac or xp.

    for eg, jeanie case. for the same money, i can look for EIZO or NEC pro line of 24" LCDs, maybe even Dell 24" is not too bad. the main thing is, after paying so much for a screen, the setup has to be proper.

    i run 2 HDD, 1 for OS & 1 for data/scratch disk. i can't do that on the iMac & Xeon mac is overkill, ext storage is slower than internal SATA interface unless its eSATA, but iMac doesn't have that. i also have 1 burner, which i gladly chose a Plextor for its burn quality, & a DVD-Rom drive juz for those "difficult" discs. even with a mac pro, i can't choose my burner & have an additional optical disc drive (may it be ROM only or burner).

    i also like the convenience of ejecting a disc when the drive stop responding via the eject button. or worse case, need a little pin to poke inside the drive's hole to eject the disc tray. not sure if there's an easier way to do this on a mac, but last time i had this problem, i need to restart the whole thing juz to eject the disc out.

    sorry if i sound like bashing mac but i'm not. my perception is, anyone with a personal computer should be able to personalise it. this is to cater to unique individual usage. right now, if i want to run RAID, i can choose Adaptec or 3Ware RAID cards, SATA or SCSI, but for mac, so far i know only ATTO runs smoothly & not sure if they have SATA solutions. if i can help it, more choices is good for me.

  15. #95
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Does Jeanie need SATA?

    Most people doing photography are not using SATA just a normal external harddisk. I'm using a ext hdd and it suffices for what I do. When it doesn't I'm very sure I'd move on to the Mac Pro then. Meanwhile, I'm still on honeymoon with my MBP.

    iMac firstly saves space. Also not everyone fancies the idea of messing with the guts of a PC. You want a neat, good looking computer that works as it is advertised while still packing a huge punch for most applications. You got it.

    Most people who buy or are intending to buy Macs know that they are not getting a bargain price computer, and are often veteran computer users. Most are aware that it is slightly more ex. And they are looking for a different experience as well.

    I just want to sum this up very simply for most Mac users. We Don't Hate PC! We just hate the OS its running on.

    Meanwhile, I'm not surprise when Leopard and Vista are both released, we'd see another influx of people switching to Mac.

  16. #96

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    wat's sata?singapore anti tuberculosis association?

    btw, will the 24inch mac without tower be as good (for photoshop) as compared to those that has huge towers?(i've seen one...man...it's BIG!)
    sorry if my ques sounds silly...i'm a computer noob.

  17. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    708

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    wat's sata?singapore anti tuberculosis association?

    btw, will the 24inch mac without tower be as good (for photoshop) as compared to those that has huge towers?(i've seen one...man...it's BIG!)
    sorry if my ques sounds silly...i'm a computer noob.
    I'm not a very computer technical person either. But SATA (Serial Advanced Technological Attachment) is supposedly a faster process of transferring data from a hard disk. Its faster but not tremendously like 100% faster.

    Yup 24' iMac will be fast and as good as huge towers. Its faster than my Core Duo MBP. And even then I don't find my MBP slow at all. Just increase the RAM to 2 GB and you're good to go.

  18. #98

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I'm not a very computer technical person either. But SATA (Serial Advanced Technological Attachment) is supposedly a faster process of transferring data from a hard disk. Its faster but not tremendously like 100% faster.

    Yup 24' iMac will be fast and as good as huge towers. Its faster than my Core Duo MBP. And even then I don't find my MBP slow at all. Just increase the RAM to 2 GB and you're good to go.

    but now my pc already 2GB ram.
    so will the imac 24 inch makes any difference in speeds at all?

  19. #99

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    SATA is an interface system for an internal harddrive.

    I find the statement that most photographers not using SATA interesting...but anyway, when nightpiper mentioned using a SATA hardrive, he mentioned using it for scratch as well as storage...for storage, a firewire or usb harddrive is fine, but not for scatch as they are too slow and cpu intensive...and having a scratch drive seperate from the program drive will, other than buying more RAM, be the easiest way to speed up photoshop...and getting a SATA scratch drive is much cheaper (not to mention more versatile) than buying more RAM...

    most veteran computer users I know don't need to ask what system to get...but people trying to make the decision need to be told the options...

    virus problems? taking the proper precautions should be able to keep that under control...there are free programs out there that are pretty effective...

    and people who say PCs don't look attractive and cool haven't seen the casings there are around...

  20. #100

    Default Re: imac vs pc graphics

    Quote Originally Posted by jeanie View Post
    but now my pc already 2GB ram.
    so will the imac 24 inch makes any difference in speeds at all?
    what are the specs for your comp...maybe an upgrade will be all that you need...

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •