Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LightSphere II Inverted Dome Diffusion System

Default Re: LightSphere II Inverted Dome Diffusion System

Quote Originally Posted by janshim View Post
    The pressing need for soft and shadowless lighting at weddings is what made me and many others reached for the LightSphere in the first place. The LS-II gives you exactly that and operationally, once you have the LS fitted (in my case, Canon 550/580EX strobes) you only need to flip in one movement when you're switching from vertical ro horizontal frame, something that quickly becomes instintive once you get the hang of it.

You must note however, there's no free lunch. With great soft lighting comes increased power consumption and you'll end up like me, carrying extra power packs such as Quantum Turbo 2x2 and Canon's CP-E2 to feed the power hungry strobes. Between the 550EX and 580EX, the 550EX is very thirsty and I'd be afraid to use them without making sure I have a lot of batteries.
    U mean using LS take alot more power? But mine using SB800 does not cause any power hungry,it doesn't trigger the sensor on the flash at all...Maybe u can share with me more why urs take more power...Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LePhotographe View Post
    U mean using LS take alot more power? But mine using SB800 does not cause any power hungry,it doesn't trigger the sensor on the flash at all...Maybe u can share with me more why urs take more power...Thanks
    Without comparing the Canon Speedlite 550EX to the Nikon SB800, the 550EX by design consumes more power compared to the 580EX even when comparing 0 FEC between the two. When I shoot with the LS-II fitted, very often due to Canon metering's tendency to underexpose a scene, we adjust FEC values between +1/3 to +2/3 to obtain correct exposure. Increasing FEC uses more power. If you can obtain the same exposure with your SB800 fitted with the LS-II then that's good thing.

I believe the LS-II is marketed to be an effective light modifier that doesn't require any adjustment to flash output though I cannot recall where I came across this but in reality it is not the case. I need to dial in some degree of FEC to get the exposure I want.

Agree that using LS will consume more power. However I think the reason is not because of LS, it is because you had to tilt the flash head up while using LS most of the time. While the flash head is up, the camera will register it as a bounce flash and will tend to pump in more power?

This is what I think only, I not really a camera techie expert.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345