Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pastel Evening

Default Pastel Evening

Hi all

I recently was aquainted to this forum by a friend
    He specifically mentioned the high quality of feedback in the critiique corner

I need an honest opinion on this picture

I am a newbie & compositional tips are most welcome
    Thanks
    Last edited by drama; 3rd December 2006 at 02:13 AM.

Default Re: Pastel Evening

may i, another noobie ask.. what camera did you use?

Hi
    Canon S3 IS
    No filters, no post processing
    Last edited by drama; 3rd December 2006 at 02:14 AM.

Since no one wants to have a go, I will give it a shot myself

The evening sky colors are nice but that is the sky
    The whole effect is spoiled by the mess of leaves at the bottom corner

No the sun was way too bright to capture directly

i have something to say...
    the sunset colours are pretty nice... but say the leafs spoiled it. should have chosen another subject.. maybe the whole tree on a third to the left...

I am not sure... But it feels bland... Mayb u would like it to be more contrasting? Emphasis on the colours of sunset doesnt realli stand out in this picture. Wat FL did u take it at? Mayb, u can include a horizon but definitely not the leave on the bottom left as drama n paul mentioned.
    Last edited by yllew; 6th December 2006 at 08:37 AM.
    My Collection of 不起眼的 Photos
    Proud Owner of Canon 400D

Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    Hi all

I recently was aquainted to this forum by a friend
    He specifically mentioned the high quality of feedback in the critiique corner

I need an honest opinion on this picture

I am a newbie & compositional tips are most welcome
    Thanks
    This shot has no subject. nothing that tells u to look at me...

If i wanna shoot something like that, most probably, i'll either find another silouette subject on the right to match the current leaves, or i place the leaves as the centre of attraction, taking 1/2 the pic, corner to corner. with the sun as the centre. But thats my perception.

on your techniques, dunno wat cam u use, u could actually try shooting with a smaller aperture like f16, your current 1, i guess should be f2.8 or f4, y? cos when u shoot with smaller aperture, the light rays from behind the leaves will form a star shape, giving more feel to the picture.

lastly, the feel of this pic is neither here nor there, its like a holiday beach shot, but only with a few strands of coconut tree leaves *dunno simi tree, maybe palm tree or others*, then the sky... its kinda dull... i'll probably add more of the surrounding if i am a landscapist, this pic will probably be an abstract, but it fails to look abstract.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    This shot has no subject. nothing that tells u to look at me...
    It feels like a stage, you are absolutely right
    That is what I was trying to figure out

Thanks for the compositional tips
    I am using a canon S3is, no filters

Quote Originally Posted by drama View Post
    Thanks for the compositional tips
    I am using a canon S3is, no filters
    Need not necessary filters to take nice sunsets. Can be done w/o filters too...
    My Collection of 不起眼的 Photos
    Proud Owner of Canon 400D

The colors are nice no doubt but like what some has mentioned, it lacks a theme or subject in your shot.

Quite frankly, as the picture is loading top down, I was attracted to the rich colors and expecting it to load further showing more parts of the leaf/tree but was disappointed when it stopped just there...
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    The colors are nice no doubt but like what some has mentioned, it lacks a theme or subject in your shot.

Quite frankly, as the picture is loading top down, I was attracted to the rich colors and expecting it to load further showing more parts of the leaf/tree but was disappointed when it stopped just there...
    actually, i find that if this shot is in a series would be cool... something like a prelude... like 1 part of a big picture... but sadly, it isn't... nice try thou...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

actually, i find that if this shot is in a series would be cool... something like a prelude... like 1 part of a big picture... but sadly, it isn't... nice try thou...
    Agree...

So today I tried some shots, based on what you suggested

I liked this the most

I liked this too

What say you ?

1st shot is nice, but the sunset not really defined, but its a good job done afterall. cos the clouds are soothing. a minor nitpik, crop 1/16 of the top portion then 1/8 of the right. Try it, dun have to post here, u'll get what i mean.

2nd shot, the 'coconut tree leave' is blur, not due to handshake, but too near to you, its not beyond the infinity range, most likely if me, i'll remove it away from my shot. and this shot lack the base, the trees sticking out of nowhere is a distraction. this shot however, if u take portrait, with the weird looking tree silouette and the sun alone will be perfect.

3rd shot, nicely done like i've said previously, just that the sun a little too low. but u horne the skills, try again next time... this time on the leaves... make 1 of the centre of attaction.

keep it up!

Thanks for the tips & compliments
    I get what you mean, will give it a try

Yup the composition has indeed improved. However, for #3 understand you are trying to get the whole silhouette of the tree in your composition. But if me I would rather try using a longer lens to focus your attention on the sun to get a better effect.

Yehosaphat:

Thanks
    I will try what you suggested

DCA:

I tried the both the crops you suggested, thanks they both work well

1st shot is nice, but the sunset not really defined, but its a good job done afterall. cos the clouds are soothing. a minor nitpik, crop 1/16 of the top portion then 1/8 of the right. Try it, dun have to post here, u'll get what i mean.

2nd shot, the 'coconut tree leave' is blur, not due to handshake, but too near to you, its not beyond the infinity range, most likely if me, i'll remove it away from my shot. and this shot lack the base, the trees sticking out of nowhere is a distraction. this shot however, if u take portrait, with the weird looking tree silouette and the sun alone will be perfect.

3rd shot, nicely done like i've said previously, just that the sun a little too low. but u horne the skills, try again next time... this time on the leaves... make 1 of the centre of attaction.

keep it up!
    agree with DCA abt the 2nd pict...

"this shot however, if u take portrait, with the weird looking tree silouette and the sun alone will be perfect." - DCA
    blog: inbloomphotos.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by khairi View Post
    agree with DCA abt the 2nd pict...

"this shot however, if u take portrait, with the weird looking tree silouette and the sun alone will be perfect." - DCA
    wah u quote me ar...

anyway drama, shoot more and u will know how to see a pic and immediately know where to crop... by the time u are so used to it, u can see the crop from the viewfinder already...

DCA

On the crop of #2

This was the first crop I had posted on flickr
    I did see that,I was trying to seeit as a series with the palm frond uncropped

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast