View Poll Results: Who is Qualified Enough?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Been in CS for a long time with many posts

1 1.27%
  • People who are good photographers themselves

18 22.78%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail

15 18.99%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail and friendly commenting

18 22.78%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail and very direct in commenting

27 34.18%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is qualified enough to give critic

Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

wah.. DCA join in Feb 2004... pro !

i join only in may.. sobs... i am so 1991....

and my post count so little...... sob.
    Last edited by glennyong; 2nd December 2006 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    after 8 pages....

people, it's critique. critic is the person giving the critique. so, in the context of the thread, TS is talking abt critique not critic.

now, back to ur regularly scheduled bashing, b1tching and philosophizing...
    so whats the difference between critique and criticism?

To sum it up. None of you(particularly that bigmouth NATO) know what a proper critique is. This poll should be closed immediately before the freakshow gets out to the whole world.

Quote Originally Posted by glennyong View Post
    wah.. DCA join in Feb 2004... pro !

i join only in may.. sobs... i am so 1991....

and my post count so little...... sob.
    u have plenty to learn, my young padawan...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    so whats the difference between critique and criticism?
    difference? intelligence... or the lack of it.

i had a look at the dictionary.

criticism - usually unfavourable or unfair comment, while critique are comments enlicits discussion...

question is - here in CS, is it criticism or critique? food for thot...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Talk is easy. what's the points of giving critic when himself is not even a good photographer. In other words, he doesn't preach what he practises. I only respect good photographer who critics my works, not other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post

btw please help clear up the mess you made in Critique Corner ok?
    "Morning" Guys

Just woke up and have miss out so much, now catching up with the thread.

Ya lor, i 1st time posting pic in CS and too excited abt that and didt see the sticky and posted 20++ at oneday

And i have cleared some liao......yet to see what the response.....

Sorry ah Banal talk again.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by Witness
    Who is qualified enough to give critic?
    Someone who can say "Your photos suck." with conviction, authority and satanic righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    You don't have to be a great cook to tell is the food nice or not?
    If a food is not nice, a three years old also can tell you.
    But normal people can only tell you the food is nice or not nice,

Want to know what so special about the food? you need someone with a good taste bud.
    How to make or improve in cooking the food? you need someone cooking skills are better than you.

Hope this is not too difficult to understand.
    quite true. in fact i sometimes prefer to seek opinions of non-photographers. they tell me which photos they like and the kind of feeling they get, and which photos they dont get any feeling from.

1) There are critics, and there are learners. Each hold responsibilities, regardless of intentions.

2) There's a middle-ground of everything. Critics can moderate their delivery, learners can moderate their selection and their responses to critiques. Just as much as critics can never help learners with a harsh delivery, learners can never find good teachers if they cannot moderate their harsh responses.

3) There are rules, and there are no rules. There are no rules to break, if the learner has no awareness of 'rules' in the first place. It's not breaking the rules. It's taking a blind shot. There are no rules, because the intention is to create, not to follow rules. There are always rules, because the ability to create is always inspired in some way from preceding influences, which sets the 'rules'. It is equally pointless to follow the rules blindly, as it is to break the rules blindly.

I think it's very unfair if you judge experience by the person's number of posts. I'm sure there are many lurkers around with good photography advice too.
    And I also agree that sometimes I will seek advice from non-photographers too. Different people look out for different things. I have this view that my photography friends are more into the technical aspect, eg rule of thirds, composition etc. Whereas non-photographers can offer comments in the aesthetics aspect.
    I can accept comments like "Your photo sucks because.." but I dislike comments like "Nice." Whatever it is, a good critic would be one that Explains his/her choice. That is constructive commenting.
    So for me, everybody can be a qualified critic in their own ways... except prolly my sister

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    1) There are critics, and there are learners. Each hold responsibilities, regardless of intentions.

2) There's a middle-ground of everything. Critics can moderate their delivery, learners can moderate their selection and their responses to critiques. Just as much as critics can never help learners with a harsh delivery, learners can never find good teachers if they cannot moderate their harsh responses.

3) There are rules, and there are no rules.

There are no rules to break, if the learner has no awareness of 'rules' in the first place.
    It's not breaking the rules. It's taking a blind shot.
    There are no rules, because the intention is to create, not to follow rules.
    There are always rules, because the ability to create is always inspired in some way from preceding influences, which sets the 'rules'.

It is equally pointless to follow the rules blindly,
    as it is to break the rules blindly.
    well said, and it is very "zen", need a lot time to digest it.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post

3) There are rules, and there are no rules. There are no rules to break, if the learner has no awareness of 'rules' in the first place. It's not breaking the rules. It's taking a blind shot. There are no rules, because the intention is to create, not to follow rules. There are always rules, because the ability to create is always inspired in some way from preceding influences, which sets the 'rules'. It is equally pointless to follow the rules blindly, as it is to break the rules blindly.
    i second this. Do you have a shrine or sth that i can visit u at?

i like wat u mentioned in #3.....makes alot of sense to me...cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post
    i second this. Do you have a shrine or sth that i can visit u at?
    The shrine is at the top of a mountain among the high clouds. You have to climb 2,000 steps to reach it. Cleanse yourself, offer an incense and ring the temple bell when you reach the entrance.
    Last edited by Sion; 5th December 2006 at 07:37 AM.

Hey guys, go easy on it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    The shrine is at the top of a mountain among the high clouds. You have to climb 2,000 steps to reach it. Cleanse yourself, offer an incense and ring the temple bell when you reach the entrance.
    Now can take the cable car straight to the shrine without doing any hardwork ....
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Now can take the cable car straight to the shrine without doing any hardwork ....

Quote Originally Posted by CreaXion View Post
    When I first read the poll, I could not decide which shd be the correct response cause everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Since I do wedding, the harshest critics are actually my customers and they have different tastes. Thus it is subjective.

The poll in my opinion should be who shd post pics for criticisms
    1. People who wants only nice comments
    2. People who do not mind harsh criticisms

If a person post pics for critique, they must be able to stand harsh criticisms or else, they shd not post cause the internet is a open system for everyone to voice their opinion.

Agreed wuth you wholeheartedly as 'You ask for it'

The reality of CS.

74% of those polled felt that being a good photographer is not a criteria for being a critic but having a keen eye is, and further more, only 18% of felt a friendly response is a requirement.

Base on that, I think I am qualify to be a critic on CS

Now, a personal message ... to my beloved trolls, EAT YOUR HEART OUT!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 47891011 ... LastLast