View Poll Results: Who is Qualified Enough?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Been in CS for a long time with many posts

1 1.27%
  • People who are good photographers themselves

18 22.78%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail

15 18.99%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail and friendly commenting

18 22.78%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail and very direct in commenting

27 34.18%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is qualified enough to give critic

Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

Maybe a critique seeker just want to hear "just stunning". Who are you to say "just stunning" is not helpful? You didn't even shoot the picture. Perhaps some of you should stop critiquing how others are commenting/critiquing/whatever. Get out more networms.

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    It is true that your comment/critique might not help.

But should that stop you from giving assistance? What have you lost?

It is true that the "seeker" need the proper attitude to want to learn, but if the critique itself is wanting both in substance and delivery, (especially delivery) how much are you helping?

Why do you think it is strange at all? This is so plainly obvious. I pointed this out in a previous thread that if a certain person persist im his style of delivery, then he will get suitable responses. Roygoh will attest to that. The is a simple action/reaction dynamics.

Absolutely nothing strange at all if you understand a wee bit of human dynamics.

If you are a little more perceptive, you will know that the quarrel is not over the substance of the comments. The quarrels are often over delivery.
    critique seeker can have a 'proper' attitude, but does not need one. i'm just saying the responsibility lies on the critique seeker, if he/she takes the advices, he/she stand to learn/challenge what he/she picks. if he/she refuse to learn, so be it.

i cannot understand because all the quarrel is not going to change the amount fo rice in your ricebowl nor the number of good pictures you think you'll get. why do you want to impose your idea of good critique/critic on him?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    wow, u register a new nick just to give this comment?
    that's just so obvious.

got to rush out now, talk later, enjoy the discussion ok?

Quote Originally Posted by saline009 View Post
    Comments or critiques who cares? As long as the photographer gets what he wants by asking. What a freakshow watching you guys getting philosophical over mere words.
    Please don't joke. Since when anything we say can be called "philosophical"?

You've overestimated us.

Quote Originally Posted by Witness View Post
    i believe that in order for photography to "work", there has to be a certain amount of mass appeal in it.. it doesnt exactly mean if a photo should be technically correct or wrong, but the target audience should like it at the very least...

thus, as critics, perhaps one thing we could do is to give it from a "mass public perspective" in order to help. another thing would be in our "politeness" strategies when doing so..
    Let me put in something for you to think over.

I am going to write a little more on this in my thread "Giovanni".

On Antonin Kractochvil. Let me quote this from a book

"In 1998 he was thrown out of the Oscar ceremony while on assignment for Premier magazine..... He captured what he wanted, and the organizeers of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences knew it..... He was never invited back"

Did Antonin care. Not a bit!

Now we are not Antonin. To him, photographing and showing what moves him is a lot more important than catering to the masses. I can identify with that! Even to a professional who earns his living from photography. And I do not even have to make a living from photography.

Should I bother with the masses?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    i cannot understand because all the quarrel is not going to change the amount fo rice in your ricebowl nor the number of good pictures you think you'll get. why do you want to impose your idea of good critique/critic on him?
    If that is the case, why impose your comments on the seeker?

More non-sensical babbles. It gets freakier as you watch.

Student,

i'm thinking, u say so much, y dun u give us an example of a critique, than telling us the requisites of a critique. cos i'm a practical person, u show me how its done, i'll be more enlightened than u telling me how its done.
    Well, someone did say that he need not show his pictures in order to give comments.

So should I show you how to give a critique?

Haha! Just joking!

I know how difficult it is to give a critique, especially online. I had sat in critiques sessions, receiving and learning to give. it is difficult. Because you have to apply your mind and heart to it.

As I mentioned earlier, and eikin do not agree with me, the starting point is that I will first try to understand what the seeker was trying to say in his picture. In giving a critique, I would want an ongoing interaction with the other person.

Now this is damn difficult! Therefore, if you read my first post, I did not insist on the standards I set. I only ask that the attitude be correct.

More non-sensical babbles. It gets freakier as you watch.
    LindaChew, Whisper, Katty?

Guys, so now he's telling us he doesn't know what a real critique should be after 7 pages of telling us the difference between a comment and a critique. Give that guy a tiger.

Guys, so now he's telling us he doesn't know what a real critique should be after 7 pages of telling us the difference between a comment and a critique. Give that guy a tiger.
    LindaChew, Whisper, Katty

You are on my ignore list.

Maybe you should learn from Eikin(although not my fav guy) and let people chose what to hear and what to write. Talking about having the right attitude, we still got a lot to "learn" from you seeing the scar marks on your keyboard and monitor.

You think only you have an ignore list? Who ask you to not ignore me anyway? Damn funny la you.

Talk so much and yet when asked, don't even know how to show the way to a proper critique. Talk so much for what then?

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Well, someone did say that he need not show his pictures in order to give comments.

So should I show you how to give a critique?

Haha! Just joking!

I know how difficult it is to give a critique, especially online. I had sat in critiques sessions, receiving and learning to give. it is difficult. Because you have to apply your mind and heart to it.

As I mentioned earlier, and eikin do not agree with me, the starting point is that I will first try to understand what the seeker was trying to say in his picture. In giving a critique, I would want an ongoing interaction with the other person.

Now this is damn difficult! Therefore, if you read my first post, I did not insist on the standards I set. I only ask that the attitude be correct.
    so u meant, there shouldn't be any critic at all here? by definition its all comments, and all comments should only be in praise of the pictures instead of telling the truth.

if there is no point in making any comments about how u feel about the picture, then whats the point in posting the picture?

i've been quite puzzled by theories u guys formulate... u wan interaction, yet dun wan comments, u wan 2 way critique, but critique are not comments... then what is by true meaning of critique? isn't comment on the picture a critique on its own?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Don't know diam diam la. Always quoting foreign photographers for what? Can't come out with your own thinking you always need to refer to books and quotes and act like you know a lot?

so u meant, there shouldn't be any critic at all here? by definition its all comments, and all comments should only be in praise of the pictures instead of telling the truth.

if there is no point in making any comments about how u feel about the picture, then whats the point in posting the picture?

i've been quite puzzled by theories u guys formulate... u wan interaction, yet dun wan comments, u wan 2 way critique, but critique are not comments... then what is by true meaning of critique? isn't comment on the picture a critique on its own?
    That guy talk only la. He can't even formulate his own critique yet talk about the differences between comments and critiques. You listen to him?!

Next time he types, read the first line and last line enough. The rest almost always don't make sense.

That guy talk only la. He can't even formulate his own critique yet talk about the differences between comments and critiques. You listen to him?!
    dunno leh, u go see the original thread lor, i was being confused by them, i dun even know what the fxxk i writing, so am i giving critique or comments...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

What original thread? I was referring to this guy above who talks like a playboy master from a sex magaxine talking about sexual positions and thrust forces and when asked to perform the exact same act, says he doesn't know how to F***. Now he's keeping all quiet. A good thing though.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 256789 ... LastLast