View Poll Results: Who is Qualified Enough?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Been in CS for a long time with many posts

1 1.27%
  • People who are good photographers themselves

18 22.78%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail

15 18.99%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail and friendly commenting

18 22.78%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail and very direct in commenting

27 34.18%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is qualified enough to give critic

Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

The person u trust
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

I dun really know how to give critics as my ABC is never good. And i am not good in technical stuff nor i have eyes for details.

But, once posted in a "Open Forum" to share or ask for "advises". One must have a "open heart" to "accept" the comments.

As what i believes, there is never a right or wrong. It only where you are standing from.

And we will never ever please everybody.
    Last edited by Tupi Guy; 2nd December 2006 at 02:19 AM.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lim View Post
    Wouldn't the person have based his idea on wanting to improve on the air transportation thus come up with ideas to try teleportation? Hmmmm unless u are saying it in the way that the idea of teleportation was based on nano technology and astro physics with the laws or relativity. But even so wouldn't ot still be base on old rules of another entirely different subject?
    Teleportation is a different paradigm, so it involves looking at new rules as opposed to the previously known rules of solving the problem.

Old rules of an entirely different subject yes, but I did mention in my earlier response to you that the term "existing rules" are in the context of the set of rules currently known in the specific area i.e. current rules used to solve the problem. This is the premise of my discussion, otherwise like what I said, it is a tautology. Which is what I am highlighting since my first post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by myself
    Of course, bear in mind that the existing rules refer to the set of known rules currently known to solve a problem. Not the entire set of rules in the world - that'll be like saying everything is built using something that is already in existence in the world. Obviously that's a tautology.

How to post a pic in CS for "comments"?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you know what, this reminds me of some situations i met with here in Japan. attended a couple of critique sessions in school so far, really cannot stand how most teachers try to take care of students feelings and beat about the bush looking for things to comment on when all they need to say is that '(???) is totally unacceptable and needs to be relooked at.' or '(???) does not make sense.'

some of the students just simply don't improve at all maybe it's an Asian thing.
    had a good sleep man... haha...

anyway, i think this whole thing is just stupid... its not about the TS's imperfect pic, or his denial of the pictures... the whole thing blew up becos what i wrote to the TS, others jump in and wanna go personal, esp those few who kept on going on personal attacks.

If this whole critic should go down, might as well ask every one to just post pics in gallery and shut up, cos all comments will get flame, then all must praise, might as well even dun have a forum better... those who go personal should just go get a life... if they have read all my comments to any of the people who posted pictures... they should read and understand, its in no way demeaning their personality, its only their works. I gave my views, accept or not is their problem, others can read & learn... I'm not perfect, but like catchlight says, it doesn't take a good cook to know good food...

to those DP haters, u wanna aim, please aim correctly, dun go around hitting anybody who have comments. bo tai bo ji drag me down for wat? U wanna get famous at a shot at me, then too bad... tat just shows how pathetic u are...

and to those who go personal, just think about it, what have you done for the photography community except just aim at others, rally people to hit on those who really gives ideas, feedbacks for others to improve, what have u done? I ask myself, i really wanna give my ideas to the person who took the pic, thats why i comment, if the pic is good, i say why, if the pic is bad, i say why, but what did u guys who go personal do.. hey tis guy is a ****, ignore him... blah blah blah... but did u guys go tell the person if their pics are good or bad? no... u are all caught in your own feuds to even look at the pic, u are just looking for people to slam...

i'm sick of it... since nobody is appreciative... y should i bother... 1 down... more to go... u guys can continue slamming...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    had a good sleep man... haha...

anyway, i think this whole thing is just stupid... its not about the TS's imperfect pic, or his denial of the pictures... the whole thing blew up becos what i wrote to the TS, others jump in and wanna go personal, esp those few who kept on going on personal attacks.

If this whole critic should go down, might as well ask every one to just post pics in gallery and shut up, cos all comments will get flame, then all must praise, might as well even dun have a forum better... those who go personal should just go get a life... if they have read all my comments to any of the people who posted pictures... they should read and understand, its in no way demeaning their personality, its only their works. I gave my views, accept or not is their problem, others can read & learn... I'm not perfect, but like catchlight says, it doesn't take a good cook to know good food...

to those DP haters, u wanna aim, please aim correctly, dun go around hitting anybody who have comments. bo tai bo ji drag me down for wat? U wanna get famous at a shot at me, then too bad... tat just shows how pathetic u are...

and to those who go personal, just think about it, what have you done for the photography community except just aim at others, rally people to hit on those who really gives ideas, feedbacks for others to improve, what have u done? I ask myself, i really wanna give my ideas to the person who took the pic, thats why i comment, if the pic is good, i say why, if the pic is bad, i say why, but what did u guys who go personal do.. hey tis guy is a ****, ignore him... blah blah blah... but did u guys go tell the person if their pics are good or bad? no... u are all caught in your own feuds to even look at the pic, u are just looking for people to slam...

i'm sick of it... since nobody is appreciative... y should i bother... 1 down... more to go... u guys can continue slamming...
    Relax dude. Nothing personal here, for me la. It really up to individual to interpret. Hope all these wun stop you giving comments and it same to others. Everyone has the rights to voice and same to the seeker where they want to listen anot. Be it constructive or not.

Just be open. As we will never please everyone. We are learning everyday, aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    Relax dude. Nothing personal here, for me la. It really up to individual to interpret. Hope all these wun stop you giving comments and it same to others. Everyone has the rights to voice and same to the seeker where they want to listen anot. Be it constructive or not.

Just be open. As we will never please everyone. We are learning everyday, aren't we?
    i din say u lah, u go see that thread and see who is personal lor... wanna play then put in kopitiam in another thread, go personal, then after that give u names... can't play then dun play...

i'm not going to bother about all the pics anymore... it sucks, not my problem anyway... i'll just join the others as bo chup... i'm learning from the other probably 90% here...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

HiHi, sori if i rarely post anything constrictive or in favor. But i think im qualified to say im not one of those qualified. Banal talk,ok. Haha

i din say u lah, u go see that thread and see who is personal lor... wanna play then put in kopitiam in another thread, go personal, then after that give u names... can't play then dun play...

i'm not going to bother about all the pics anymore... it sucks, not my problem anyway... i'll just join the others as bo chup... i'm learning from the other probably 90% here...

I know that u are not refering to me la Keep your cool, i am not here to play saint or sturring any more juices. I have been followed the thread thou my england not that powderful. I know what going on. All of you have your standing points, but some do go personal "attacks" and "gangsterslism". We know that we are human, emotions can just raise by a single word or an action and it will cause us something that we shd not say or act. Which i say Emotions over mind.(kekekeke this is of my personal project name)

I agreed that some (include me) trying to be "Funny" in the thread. But for my intentions are to "Cool" the state. I believe some feel the same way too.

I am sorry to those who feel offended when you guys having a heat up here while i am trying to be funny or what.

To me, after all, all these are nothing personal if you read carefully what others want to say in their views. But not all la, some words still abit personal to some.

Peace
    Last edited by Tupi Guy; 2nd December 2006 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imaginary_number View Post
    getting philosophical. But that's not the point of the discussion nor am I interested in playing with words. And it's not exactly true either.

Let me put it in this context, two researchers, one starting with the functional approach, the other using neural networks, each not having knowledge of each other's chosen rules, can solve the problem differently. So while a functional approach may solve a problem, the neural network approach does so more effectively and efficiently.

There can be a better approach without knowledge of the old rule.

So the possibility doesn't "arise from understanding why the old rule is not to be used/followed", but due to the understandings of exploring another paradigm. So the creation of the new solution never used the old solution as a basis - these two solutions could have existed independently, with both researchers never knowing about each other's approach, but both solved the same problem, albeit with different levels of efficiencies and effectiveness.

And of course I don't deny this - it's common sense. But the premise is that the old rule mentioned here is in the context of the set of existing rules used to solve the problem or achieve an outcome, not the entire set of rules in the world.
    scientist A use method A and discovered rule A1

scientist B use method B and discovered rule B1

rule A1 solves the same problem as rule B1

but,

rule A1 is based on method A, and method A arised from an existing set of knowledge

rule B1 is based on method B, and method B arised from an exisiting set of knowledge

add:

just in case this is going to go round and round, let me show you an example

i met a photographer back some time who made photographs without a camera (not even a pin-hole camera)
    he exposed negatives to light and developed them
    his makes aesthetically pleasing abstracts

in a way, he arrived at photograph making without the conventional method of using a camera. that was only possible because of his darkroom knowledge.
    Last edited by eikin; 2nd December 2006 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    To me, after all, all these are nothing personal if you read carefully what others want to say in their views. But not all la, some words still abit personal to some.

Peace
    exactly, alot of people like to pick words out of context, 断章取义

btw please help clear up the mess you made in Critique Corner ok?

can i ask for your opinion on an issue? do you think comments should be removed from Critique Corner?
    Giving comments are better than giving no comments. But they are not critiques.

If all that the "critic" can give are comments, then in the spirit of trying to help the other, comments are certainly welcome.

talking about critques,

I have a book, "Masterclass in Photography" by Michael & Julien Busselle.

Although the name sound chim but it is actually newbie book, easily understood by beginners.

The format of the book is quite interesting as it introduce the elements of photography with samples taken by one photographer and THE other photographer giving a CRITQUE, while the guy who takes the photo also explains the reason behind the photo.

It is quite interesting format and rare in photography books as I haven't read one in such a format. At least it shows what things photographers give in critqiues

In summary, things that people look of for is the basica elements, like lines, shape, form, texture, color. + composition, etc. I think it does take a LOT of training to have the photographer's eye to see what is wrong/right with an image.
    Last edited by wind30; 2nd December 2006 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Giving comments are better than giving no comments. But they are not critiques.

If all that the "critic" can give are comments, then in the spirit of trying to help the other, comments are certainly welcome.
    Student,

i'm thinking, u say so much, y dun u give us an example of a critique, than telling us the requisites of a critique. cos i'm a practical person, u show me how its done, i'll be more enlightened than u telling me how its done.

Student,

i'm thinking, u say so much, y dun u give us an example of a critique, than telling us the requisites of a critique. cos i'm a practical person, u show me how its done, i'll be more enlightened than u telling me how its done.
    we can start with this image...

...i'm not going to bother about all the pics anymore... it sucks, not my problem anyway... i'll just join the others as bo chup... i'm learning from the other probably 90% here...
    Believe it or not whether you Ai Chup or Boh Chup, it wouldn't make a difference to the standard of photography in ClubSnap.

I fear that your days of being the saviour of excellence in photography, the defender of photographic supremacy and the high priest of the photographic art are now numbered. The rise of newbie power sees to that. The newbies will be the new king.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Believe it or not whether you Ai Chup or Boh Chup, it wouldn't make a difference to the standard of photography in ClubSnap.

I fear that your days of being the saviour of excellence in photography, the defender of photographic supremacy and the high priest of the photographic art are now numbered. The rise of newbie power sees to that. The newbies will be the new king.
    lppl lor...

(me hear the song... A WHOLE NEW WORLD...)

exactly. we can never tell whether an opinion, comment or a long critique will serve the purpose of helping the critique seeker. end of the day, if the critique seeker refuse to review his/her own work from other point of views, even if 99% of the members think the critique given was a good one, it will not serve to help.

for me, the responsibility lies on the critique seeker, not the critic. and so it's very very strange
    It is true that your comment/critique might not help.

But should that stop you from giving assistance? What have you lost?

It is true that the "seeker" need the proper attitude to want to learn, but if the critique itself is wanting both in substance and delivery, (especially delivery) how much are you helping?

Quote Originally Posted by eikin
    it is very very strange that people chose to quarrel over each others comments
    Why do you think it is strange at all? This is so plainly obvious. I pointed this out in a previous thread that if a certain person persist im his style of delivery, then he will get suitable responses. Roygoh will attest to that. The is a simple action/reaction dynamics.

Absolutely nothing strange at all if you understand a wee bit of human dynamics.

If you are a little more perceptive, you will know that the quarrel is not over the substance of the comments. The quarrels are often over delivery.

Comments or critiques who cares? As long as the photographer gets what he wants by asking. What a freakshow watching you guys getting philosophical over mere words.

Quote Originally Posted by saline009 View Post
    Comments or critiques who cares? As long as the photographer gets what he wants by asking. What a freakshow watching you guys getting philosophical over mere words.
    wow, u register a new nick just to give this comment?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4567811 ... LastLast