View Poll Results: Who is Qualified Enough?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Been in CS for a long time with many posts

    1 1.27%
  • People who are good photographers themselves

    18 22.78%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail

    15 18.99%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail and friendly commenting

    18 22.78%
  • Does not need to be a good photographer, but has a keen eye for detail and very direct in commenting

    27 34.18%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 589101112 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 232

Thread: Who is qualified enough to give critic

  1. #181
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    The reality of CS.

    74% of those polled felt that being a good photographer is not a criteria for being a critic but having a keen eye is, and further more, only 18% of felt a friendly response is a requirement.

    Base on that, I think I am qualify to be a critic on CS

    Now, a personal message ... to my beloved trolls, EAT YOUR HEART OUT!

    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  2. #182
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    The reality of CS.

    74% of those polled felt that being a good photographer is not a criteria for being a critic but having a keen eye is, and further more, only 18% of felt a friendly response is a requirement.

    Base on that, I think I am qualify to be a critic on CS

    Now, a personal message ... to my beloved trolls, EAT YOUR HEART OUT!
    Hehehehe...

    Btw, am i qualified as well?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #183

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    The reality of CS.

    74% of those polled felt that being a good photographer is not a criteria for being a critic but having a keen eye is, and further more, only 18% of felt a friendly response is a requirement.

    Base on that, I think I am qualify to be a critic on CS

    Now, a personal message ... to my beloved trolls, EAT YOUR HEART OUT!
    What a crap!!!!

    #1

    Only 72 members polled. How many members does CS have? I am not sure.

    2000? 72/2000=3.6%

    5000? 72/5000=1.4%

    A poll based on such a miniscule number of members have any meaning? Sheesh!

    Anyway, just to use your way of calculation, here is how it goes!

    #2

    As of now, 74.99% (54/72) of members polled said that a keen eye is important.

    Of these 27.77% (15/54) said that being friendly is important

    Of these 46.29% ( 25/54) said that being very direct is important.

    25.92% (14/54) of these said that a keen eye is important, without any qualification. This group constitute only 19.44% of the total number of members who polled. If I assume that CS has a member ship of 2000, then this group only constitute 07% of total membership. Or if I assume Cs has a member ship of 5000, this group only constitute 0.28% of CS membership! In any case, this goup forms less than 1/3 of those who say that a keen eye is important.

    Unfortunately this poll does not ask if the "attribute" of being crude and crass like you is an important or desirable asset. I wonder what the response will be if this poll ask how essential it is to be crude and crass like you in order to be a critic? The results will be most telling!!

    #3

    This poll does not clarify what it meant by a "keen eye". Do you really have a "keen eye"? I can give you that credit. Credit for having a "keen eye". But "keen eye" for what? For looking at miniscule errors and imperfections! For picking faults!

    Do you have a keen eye for good photographs? For vision? For imagination? Do you? Really?

    What is the real reality of CS?

    Go figure out!

    Tear your heart out, if you have one!

  4. #184

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Hehehehe...

    Btw, am i qualified as well?
    Hehehehehehehehehe!.......................

    You do do not even know what these figures mean!

  5. #185
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Hehehehehehehehehe!.......................

    You do do not even know what these figures mean!
    so who should do critique? since there is a critique section... u wanna tell us your criteria again, dun beat around the bush, straight to the point... if no one, then u say, close that section once & for all.. and everybody should just post & lock thread... how?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #186

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat View Post
    I agree that it's often more difficult to give a critique on artwork than finished products, but I disagree that a face-to-face critique is necessarily easier.
    Theorectically, all images, whether published in books, or mounted as prints, or shown in web pages, are and should be considered as "finished" works, unless otherwise stated. This is not just my opinion, but also the opinions of others. One that comes to my mind and which I could quote is Brooks Jensen, editor of Lenswork.

    Nobody says that giving a critique in the complete intent of giving a critique is easy.

    A face-face critique is not necessarily easier because of the "stress" of a personal "faced-off" type situation. But it offers the opportunity of immediate dialogue between "seeker" and "critic", and can make for more effective critique.
    Last edited by student; 5th December 2006 at 04:51 PM.

  7. #187
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    everybody should just post & lock thread... how?
    Good idea

    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  8. #188
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Good idea

    wonder y student always dodge my questions...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #189

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    What a crap!!!!

    #1

    Only 72 members polled. How many members does CS have? I am not sure.

    2000? 72/2000=3.6%

    5000? 72/5000=1.4%

    A poll based on such a miniscule number of members have any meaning? Sheesh!

    Anyway, just to use your way of calculation, here is how it goes!

    #2

    As of now, 74.99% (54/72) of members polled said that a keen eye is important.

    Of these 27.77% (15/54) said that being friendly is important

    Of these 46.29% ( 25/54) said that being very direct is important.

    25.92% (14/54) of these said that a keen eye is important, without any qualification. This group constitute only 19.44% of the total number of members who polled. If I assume that CS has a member ship of 2000, then this group only constitute 07% of total membership. Or if I assume Cs has a member ship of 5000, this group only constitute 0.28% of CS membership! In any case, this goup forms less than 1/3 of those who say that a keen eye is important.

    Unfortunately this poll does not ask if the "attribute" of being crude and crass like you is an important or desirable asset. I wonder what the response will be if this poll ask how essential it is to be crude and crass like you in order to be a critic? The results will be most telling!!

    #3

    This poll does not clarify what it meant by a "keen eye". Do you really have a "keen eye"? I can give you that credit. Credit for having a "keen eye". But "keen eye" for what? For looking at miniscule errors and imperfections! For picking faults!

    Do you have a keen eye for good photographs? For vision? For imagination? Do you? Really?

    What is the real reality of CS?

    Go figure out!

    Tear your heart out, if you have one!
    Well, Dr. Chong, assumptions, arenít they convenient? I love assumptions, as long as I acknowledge them, and take into account my assumptions when I made my decisions. However, did you not slammed me numerous times for making assumptions, now, are you making assumptions yourself? Well, it does not matter, you flip flop back and forth so often, who cares.

    I think I should get back on topic.

    Who is qualified to be a critic? Maybe, I am, maybe, I am not. Maybe, I do have a keen eye for photography, maybe, I donít. Regardless, I know I am qualified. I based my critiques on strictly the image and the photographer, on my thoughts and feelings, and I own up critiques. They are mine. I donít need others to make up my mind, I donít need others to support my critiques. I stand by what I said. I am honest about what I said.

    However, Dr. Chong, you donít qualify to be a critic. Not of photographs, nor of people. Your opinions are not yours, but those of others. Do you have any opinions of your own? Your need to quote others is pathetic. What you regurgitate I am not interested in.

    Who are you exactly, Dr. Chong? Is that even your real name? Are you really the successful doctor that you portrayed? Let's assume you are.

    Well, for someone as established professionally, you are damn insecure. You really donít have to, but I guess that is just a character flaw. I hope you are a much better doctor than you are a photographer. A bad picture is cause for sore eyes, but a bad diagnostic kills. However, they way you advocate learning, I am surprise you made it as a doctor.

    I used to wonder, what cause this hatred you had for me. I had no idea why nor do I care. There is no reason for you to do so. But it really does not matter. You are entitled to hate me, I am entitled to react accordingly.

    On the flip side, I really do not hate you Dr. Chong, you donít warrant it, not because you donít deserve it, but because you are too insignificant to do anything about. However, even a mosquito can get too irritating, that I bother to turn around to squash it.

    This is not the first time we lock horns, nor the last, I assume. But it's getting to be a bore. Be more creative next time.

    To the Mods and Admins. Sorry for the OT and the direct slamming. As I had told you guys, I donít start fights, but I will finish them when other forced them upon me.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  10. #190

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    c'mon guys.....just chill......
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  11. #191
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    The reality of CS.

    74% of those polled felt that being a good photographer is not a criteria for being a critic but having a keen eye is, and further more, only 18% of felt a friendly response is a requirement.

    Base on that, I think I am qualify to be a critic on CS

    Now, a personal message ... to my beloved trolls, EAT YOUR HEART OUT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Hehehehe...

    Btw, am i qualified as well?
    D*C*noA*,

    I think you are too friendly and decent to be a critic.

    Anyone who believes in CS polls will believe there is a Merlion in Jurong Lake and 8888 is the lucky 4D number this week.

  12. #192

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Now you are talking!

    Finally you have the guts to face me!

    First, do you dare to go back your nonsensical claims on the statistics you claimed that say that you are qualified to be a critique?

    Do that first!


    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Well, Dr. Chong, assumptions, arenít they convenient? I love assumptions, as long as I acknowledge them, and take into account my assumptions when I made my decisions. However, did you not slammed me numerous times for making assumptions, now, are you making assumptions yourself? Well, it does not matter, you flip flop back and forth so often, who cares.
    What assumptions are you talking about?

    State in specific terms!

    Quote Originally Posted by DEADPOET
    I think I should get back on topic.
    Excellent. Now stay on course!

    Quote Originally Posted by deadpoet
    Who is qualified to be a critic? Maybe, I am, maybe, I am not. Maybe, I do have a keen eye for photography, maybe, I donít. Regardless, I know I am qualified. I based my critiques on strictly the image and the photographer, on my thoughts and feelings, and I own up critiques. They are mine. I donít need others to make up my mind, I donít need others to support my critiques. I stand by what I said. I am honest about what I said.

    However, Dr. Chong, you donít qualify to be a critic. Not of photographs, nor of people. Your opinions are not yours, but those of others. Do you have any opinions of your own? Your need to quote others is pathetic. What you regurgitate I am not interested in.
    How foolish you are! You are so clever that you think your photography all originate from your feeble mind?

    I do not ignore history. I accept that my photography and thinking is a result of the experiences of photographers in the past. I will never dissociate myself from the others. I learn at the feet of other teachers.

    Do I have opinions? Or are my opinions a regurgitation from others? You are so damn arrogant that you think you can invent photography?

    I do not. My opinions are formed from the rich heritage of those who are before me, and those who are still around. My opinions are the result of taking into consideration the experiences of thos who were before me.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadpoet
    Who are you exactly, Dr. Chong? Is that even your real name? Are you really the successful doctor that you portrayed? Let's assume you are.
    Who I am and how successful I am is none of your bloody business.

    I have never portrayed my role as a doctor in CS, and never will!

    Quote Originally Posted by deadpoet
    Well, for someone as established professionally, you are damn insecure.
    Prove this statement. Else you are are nothing more than a mouth without a brain.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadpoet} A bad picture is cause for sore eyes, but a bad diagnostic kills. However, [B
    they way you advocate learning, I am surprise you made it as a doctor. [/B]

    I used to wonder, what cause this hatred you had for me. I had no idea why nor do I care. There is no reason for you to do so. But it really does not matter. You are entitled to hate me, I am entitled to react accordingly.
    No I do not hate you at all. You are really beyond the level of hate. Just like what you said of me in your next paragraph. The feeling is mutual.

    Quote Originally Posted by deadoet
    On the flip side, I really do not hate you Dr. Chong, you donít warrant it, not because you donít deserve it, but because you are too insignificant to do anything about. However, even a mosquito can get too irritating, that I bother to turn around to squash it.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpoet
    This is not the first time we lock horns, nor the last, I assume. But it's getting to be a bore. Be more creative next time.
    I will be creative this time. You had said in another thread that I am the lowest of the lowest! And I will give cause to you to continue to feel that way!

  13. #193
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    have to admit that to this point, no post in the entire forum can be classified as a critique

  14. #194

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    have to admit that to this point, no post in the entire forum can be classified as a critique
    Are you serious? Or are you in jest?

  15. #195
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    have to admit that to this point, no post in the entire forum can be classified as a critique
    I also have to admit... dunno we argue for wat...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  16. #196

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    To student and deadpoet:

    Please refrain from personal attacks on each other, or infractions will be served on the both of you. Doesn't matter who started it. Please stop right now.

    Thanks.

  17. #197
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Are you serious? Or are you in jest?
    i am serious.

    then again, since i've not read the entire forum, if you've found one, i will be more than happy to read it and learn from it thanks in advance.

  18. #198

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    What i beg to differ to student is, if artist chose to believe his work is great, dun influence them, then y post them, cos they should keep in their hdd. but if they show to the public, then obviously they should accomodate to the masses. if masses feel otherwise, then who's problem shall it be?
    I am making one assumption here, that this thread has a lot to do with norloke's "Yuki".

    Where in that thread did you get the notion that he felt that his picture was great? See posts #115,128, 136, 170, 178, 264, 266, 273.

    Basically in these various posts, norloke said that he wanted to express his ideas his way. In several posts he admitted to several problems he had.

  19. #199

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    i am serious.
    Thank you.

    Then you will agree that your comments about the "excellent critique" from DCA in "Yuki" was really inappropriate?

  20. #200
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: Who is qualified enough to give critic

    Quote Originally Posted by student View Post
    Thank you.

    Then you will agree that your comments about the "excellent critique" from DCA in "Yuki" was really inappropriate?
    yes, it's inappropriate, just like how you all call each other names, insult each other and call each other 'pro' and what not

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 589101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •