Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wedding Photographers: What's in your contract

Default Re: Wedding Photographers: What's in your contract

Quote Originally Posted by SniperD View Post
    hahaha.. not really lah. I do have a clause stated in my contact that I have the right and privilege not to shoot if I feel that I am being mentally and physically harressed by the omni present videographers/ photographers who is not professional hired.

Ask Kuang on the yanking incident.. tickles me everytime I recall it.
    Hey don't remind me about it, sometimes I feel very bad for doing it. 99.9% of the VDO guys are very cool, and Y*** is definitely one of them, so I feel really bad for doing it.

But Canturn, if you want to put a clause in, put the clause it. Worrying about sounding like a diva etc, worrying to much about things like that leads to more confusion both for your client and for yourself. Sometimes I think we overthink stuff. Either do or don't do. Simple. I think clients appreciate that too because they know what they are in for.

Quote Originally Posted by canturn View Post
    The difficult thing is how to state it in the contract elegantly and without sounding like a diva photographer, if you know what I mean.

For me, exclusivity is important, family members can shoot and shouldn't get in the way of me. Which is one reason why I probably won't shoot celebrities weddings, after hearing all the stories about photographers literally elbowing each other throughout the event. Plus, the whole event turns into some media fanfare. I always tell my clients, it's their big day, they're supposed to be celebrating their wedding instead of being there for a photo shoot or filming for a movie.
    oh i wouldn't shoot for a celebrity's wedding... cos i prob won't get paid for it. plus of course wat u mentioned as well. (unless i was the only photog, or one of very very few, AND it was a paid job)

almost everything has to be sponsored.

and i really dun see and "power" in saying "i shot fann wong's wedding" (but i can't show u the images becos they dun look good since there were 50 other photogs in my frame).

Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    Hey don't remind me about it, sometimes I feel very bad for doing it. 99.9% of the VDO guys are very cool, and Y*** is definitely one of them, so I feel really bad for doing it.
    well kuang, if we're talking about the same person, Y**g is also the guy who've been telling my clients that he worked with you before, probably find that a memorable experience

That aside,

Oh yea, Joho, celebrities will EXPECT you to shoot their wedding for free, because they think they're giving you the best portfolio you can ever get. Or you can look at it as publicity for yourself.

Free? Depends. A magazine revealed that TomKat paid 60k for photography. Probably bought over all the rights as well. Impact on career? Robert Evans, reportedly the photographer, reportedly shot Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston as well.

Of course, here in SG is a diff story.

mine : "i hate shooting weddings but if you make me do it, don't regret"

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Free? Depends. A magazine revealed that TomKat paid 60k for photography. Probably bought over all the rights as well. Impact on career? Robert Evans, reportedly the photographer, reportedly shot Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston as well.

Of course, here in SG is a diff story.
    Well, in cantonese there's a saying "there are those who can beat up others, because there are others who don't mind being beaten up".

About 70% of wedding clients are overseas or expat, and they think very differently from locals here, and they're aware that there ain't such a thing as a 'free lunch'. Wedding albums mean alot to them and on the average, they spent between $1700 for the album alone, all the way up to $4000 for leather bound imported ones.

Okay, we're getting a little OT here, let's discuss price sensative issues in other threads....

Reviving this thread, just to share with you guys some other issues.

Payment terms. State very clearly how and when payment should be made. A good practice is to make sure all payment is collected by the wedding day itself. I used to adopt a 50%, 30% and 20% scheme and I realised that couples either take forever with their selection of photos for their albums, or you end up having clients who wants to quibble over a couple of bucks when you deliver the prints/albums

Especially for those of us who are charging by the hour, say a client exceeded the number of service hours stated agreed upon, there should be a clause that require client to pay in full before you would release any photos. Even though my rates, the number of service hours required and overtime charges is stated clearly in my previous contract, I have had couple who told me they were not willing to pay for the extra hour because they were not informed before hand or consult during the event itself (frankly, it is hard to monitor or remember exactly how many hours you have covered on the actual event), even though they have already used the images taken during the overtime in their album.

Another clause that I find very helpful is the photographer having full artistic license, and the right to reject any requests to photograph any scenes, pets, people, objects, etc. Also, the client agrees to accept all the works produced by the photographer and there should be no quibbling over certain things like, how come you didn't take this picture, how can you photograph people from the back, don't like these photos at all (remember, photography is subjective).

Not only does preserving my photography style, but it has helped me find the right clientele that I like to work with. Just like ckuang, I do have a no group shots/table-to-table shots policy in my contract. Must admit that some couples decided to pass after knowing the things I don't do, but majority of my couples who are paying my rates do acknowledge that it's kindda expensive to hire me for such purpose.

With my current hit rate of 80-90% of the couples signing up after meeting up, this clause will stay, nevermind that 20%.

maybe it would be useful to have a time-chit kind of thing?

upon arrival, time is written down and signed by your client. So there can be no argument when it comes to the number of hours spent on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    maybe it would be useful to have a time-chit kind of thing?

upon arrival, time is written down and signed by your client. So there can be no argument when it comes to the number of hours spent on the job.
    Not really, other than generating more paperwork.

But frankly speaking, ever since I raised my fees, my clientele has changed. I just need to show them the time-stamp of the images, they've got no problems with that. Putting that clause in just in case of that 0.01%

Got what you mean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12