Thread: Anyone keep butterflies in the garden?

Default Anyone keep butterflies in the garden?

I'm keen to setup a butterfly feeder in the garden, but I don't know which type would be the best. Any local (Singapore), keep some butterflies mind giving me some tip? I appriciate any info. Thanks.

Default Re: Anyone keep butterflies in the garden?

who really have a garden in Singapore?

Blog Entries

a shared garden - SBG

and some people do have gardens in spore

There are many butterfly enthusiasts lurking around CS or you can try www.butterflycircle.com a local butterfly forum. Many experts in butterflies there. Got a moth expert there as well.

“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    There are many butterfly enthusiasts lurking around CS or you can try www.butterflycircle.com a local butterfly forum. Many experts in butterflies there. Got a moth expert there as well.

Thanks.

btw, most of the butterfly lovers i know don't really encourage people to 'keep' butterflies. They just observe them in the nature or grow some plants to attract them to nectar (feed) on. I hope that's your intention too. Capturing/keeping is a strict

enjoy the beautiful jewels!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

If you have a garden, it isn't too difficult to attract butterflies, especially in a country like Singapore where there is no real winter and insects are present all year round. Simply plant flowering shrubs in the garden (try to observe which species in parks actually attract butterflies). Also, do some research on which plants are host plants for most butterflies (the above-mentioned butterflycircle.com is a great place for info) and plant some of those too. Finally, one important rule; do not use insecticides anywhere around the house and especially in the garden. You will find that after a period of time your garden is a "popular hangout" for the local insect population!

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    btw, most of the butterfly lovers i know don't really encourage people to 'keep' butterflies. They just observe them in the nature or grow some plants to attract them to nectar (feed) on. I hope that's your intention too. Capturing/keeping is a strict

enjoy the beautiful jewels!
    The intention is to add a little life into the garden. Also to make it easier if I'm in a mood to photograph them There are some sunbirds that's visiting the hibiscus & bird of paradise. Heard some chippings in the hibiscus bush, don't dare to go too near, there could be some hatchlings there. Butterflies will make the surrounding even better.

Quote Originally Posted by vespa_bicolor View Post
    If you have a garden, it isn't too difficult to attract butterflies, especially in a country like Singapore where there is no real winter and insects are present all year round. Simply plant flowering shrubs in the garden (try to observe which species in parks actually attract butterflies). Also, do some research on which plants are host plants for most butterflies (the above-mentioned butterflycircle.com is a great place for info) and plant some of those too. Finally, one important rule; do not use insecticides anywhere around the house and especially in the garden. You will find that after a period of time your garden is a "popular hangout" for the local insect population!
    Thanks for the info. What about offering fruits like over-ripped bananas? Does this works in Singapore?
    Last edited by lordsbm; 1st December 2006 at 04:49 PM.

Oh yes, it should. Ripe fruit will attract all kinds of insects (flies, hornets, beetles), not only butterflies. But this is part of the wonder of having nature close to home!

Hibiscus is a great start, try a variety of other plants too. Sorry I can't help much with this because I'm not familiar with butterflies and their favourite plants. Try to observe which types butterflies in the wild frequent.

Take an overripe banana or other fruit, make a long deep cut on it and place it somewhere open but shaded from direct sun (under the shade of a tree or close to some bushes is best). I use this method to attract hornets for my research, but get unbelievable numbers of butterflies in the process too.

Quote Originally Posted by vespa_bicolor View Post
    Oh yes, it should. Ripe fruit will attract all kinds of insects (flies, hornets, beetles), not only butterflies. But this is part of the wonder of having nature close to home!

Hibiscus is a great start, try a variety of other plants too. Sorry I can't help much with this because I'm not familiar with butterflies and their favourite plants. Try to observe which types butterflies in the wild frequent.

Thanks a lot. Your infos are most valuable to me.