Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Singnet or Starhub

Default Re: Singnet or Starhub

I'm really pissed with Singnet. Frequent dropped connections and slow speeds.

Previously I had Pacnet 1500. Switched to Singnet 1500 because they were cheaper.

But the performance of Singnet is much poorer on the same '1500' plan (and I know its not due to my physical telephone line or computer or ethernet connection because all that hasn't changed. )

Latency times are longer, top speeds are slower, and worst of all, I'm getting unpredictable dropped connections every week (you know because the DSL light on my modem starts flashing when the signal is lost).

Also, several times now, overseas connections have been lost. ie can access all Singapore websites, but all overseas websites were inaccessible.

When my contract ends, I'm going to switch, so I'm very interested to hear the experience of Starhub users. The only thing that puts me off starhub is their refusal to lower prices (they just increase speeds).

u will benefit most from sh if yr laptop or desktop is connected fully wired to the cable modem

pls note the moment u are on wireless connection, speed can never be as fast as a wired connection.

therefore i think if u are mostly wirelessly connected in public or outdoor places, get singnet, qmax, icell or m1.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 1st December 2006 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kuoann View Post
    I'm really pissed with Singnet. Frequent dropped connections and slow speeds.

Previously I had Pacnet 1500. Switched to Singnet 1500 because they were cheaper.

But the performance of Singnet is much poorer on the same '1500' plan (and I know its not due to my physical telephone line or computer or ethernet connection because all that hasn't changed. )

Latency times are longer, top speeds are slower, and worst of all, I'm getting unpredictable dropped connections every week (you know because the DSL light on my modem starts flashing when the signal is lost).

Also, several times now, overseas connections have been lost. ie can access all Singapore websites, but all overseas websites were inaccessible.

When my contract ends, I'm going to switch, so I'm very interested to hear the experience of Starhub users. The only thing that puts me off starhub is their refusal to lower prices (they just increase speeds).
    oh yah ! Pacific Internet ! last time.. when internet was new in S'pore and 56k was an " in thing "... we got Cyberway, Pacific Internet and Singnet !
    Last edited by raincool2005; 1st December 2006 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    tell us your experience on pacnet, are they good ?
    Yes, I must say Pacnet service was good. I was on their 1500kbps plan. When I click on a link, the page starts to load almost instantly. With Singnet, when I click those same websites, there is a longer latency (eg 1-2 seconds) as the browser tries to connect to the websites. Reminds me of dialup days.

The average speeds are also faster with pacnet, whether it be simple webpage loading, or downloading big files. It was usual for me to get 60-70bytes/s on Pacnet, whereas for Singnet I get those speeds much less commonly.

I NEVER had any dropped connections or severed international connections the whole 2 years I was with Pacnet. Because I had no technical issues, I was unable to test out their tech support quality.

I would have been happy to stay with Pacnet, but their renewal offers were $15-20/month more expensive than Singnet so I thought I'd give Singnet a try and save some money.

Now I see that you simply pay for what you get. Pacnet and Singnet share the same '1500' title, but day-to-day reality differs.

Quote Originally Posted by kuoann View Post
    Yes, I must say Pacnet service was good. I was on their 1500kbps plan. When I click on a link, the page starts to load almost instantly. With Singnet, when I click those same websites, there is a longer latency (eg 1-2 seconds) as the browser tries to connect to the websites. Reminds me of dialup days.

The average speeds are also faster with pacnet, whether it be simple webpage loading, or downloading big files. It was usual for me to get 60-70bytes/s on Pacnet, whereas for Singnet I get those speeds much less commonly.

I NEVER had any dropped connections or severed international connections the whole 2 years I was with Pacnet. Because I had no technical issues, I was unable to test out their tech support quality.

I would have been happy to stay with Pacnet, but their renewal offers were $15-20/month more expensive than Singnet so I thought I'd give Singnet a try and save some money.

Now I see that you simply pay for what you get. Pacnet and Singnet share the same '1500' title, but day-to-day reality differs.
    i see... but there is no Pacnet booth in Sitex ! wat a waste. I heard from frens that they are now making business from corporate users ;big companies that sign up mega speed connections thru them.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    u will benefit most from sh if yr laptop or desktop is connected fully wired to the cable modem

pls note the moment u are on wireless connection, speed can never be as fast as a wired connection.

therefore i think if u are mostly wirelessly connected in public or outdoor places, get singnet, qmax, icell or m1.
    agree with this.. im using wireless n i kind of have no choice cos most of the time my bro will be using the desktop n i'll be using the laptop.. both need to be online at the same time so wireless is the way to go

Sinklag

Stuckhub (slightly better at times ) Fyi in my house i have both cable connection and 10mbps . With regards to speed test , dont waste yr time seriously ... do u run the test 24/7 everyday every sec ? If u do it almost everytime and check to see how consistant it is ... well shall not say much abt that , just when u need it most that time the power if not there and when things get screwed up and call in to verify ... they start pointing out fingers at others , oh well maybe they are saint and they dont make a mistake at all ? Sinklag ....

May I know why Singnet often breaks down?

not very sure, but i guess the disconnection is only on some area... so far i haven face much disconnection the past 4yrs...

this is what i get on a 3.5mbps plan using wireless connection, wasn't as fast as i still got a desktop using part of the bandwidth.

what i got. com on network, but i asked everyone to stop using their com for a while, got this result.

mine...

on 3500 singtel..

Stress Man @ work... :bigeyes:

I am currently on Starhub's MaxOnline 6500.
    Notice its rates are lower because my family is using the net and playing online games (wtf?) and I am downloading ubuntu images ATM.

You should ask them. It occurs perheps due to recabling works in certain areas.
    Last edited by fireblaster_lyz; 2nd December 2006 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    If i may share my nooby understanding on this...

At the home point, Singnet broadband transmits via cat 3 line (ie telephone line) while starhub uses their relatively new dedicated coaxial cable tv network on fibre optics, DLC and rented DLC.

Telephone line qualities are subject to the existing telephony infrastructure of the incumbent. Some places have really weak signals and hence frequency of dropped signals or weak signals prevail. (Don't worry, they will never admit this fault as we have no technical expertise nor access to prove them lousy).

That is why, in some places, certain isp (internet service provider) won't dare sign up customers for broadband. Some places are marginally passable due to defunct cards on legacy system or bad cabling in buildings or rotting old cables beneath the earth. This is especially true for some super old commercial/housing buildings and remote areas.

So, go figure which is better.

But i won't mind a free macbook to sign up a contract that is bundled with snail mail bandwidth occassionally. LOL

Hi Bros ...

I currently have Singnet 512K expiring Jan 2007 and very tempted to move to Starhub (I heard that staying with the same ISP does not bring in as good a deal ) ... but along comes M1 Broadband ...

Any bros/sis considering this as well?

Cheers!
    Last edited by catseye; 2nd December 2006 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catseye View Post
    Hi Bros ...

I currently have Singnet 512K expiring Jan 2007 and very tempted to move to Starhub (I heard that staying with the same ISP does not bring in as good a deal ) ... but along comes M1 Broadband ...

Any bros/sis considering this as well?

Cheers!
    I'm looking at the M1 too as my singnet 1.5 contract ending soon. FYI, do call singnet soon as they need 30days advance to terminate service.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash View Post
    I'm looking at the M1 too as my singnet 1.5 contract ending soon. FYI, do call singnet soon as they need 30days advance to terminate service.
    m1 broadband can move everywhere, not restricted to hotspot.. but GSM coverage.

starhub maxonline is the best when connected wired directly to SCV port. It is crazly FAST !

singnet will be the future of national wireless broadband which is free at basic speed.

i guess u should choose one that suits your daily needs. Are u always on the mobile or glued to yr office desk ?

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    not very sure, but i guess the disconnection is only on some area... so far i haven face much disconnection the past 4yrs...

this is what i get on a 3.5mbps plan using wireless connection, wasn't as fast as i still got a desktop using part of the bandwidth.

Try not to use such testing on wireless. It's not accurate, as wireless has got many more factors to consider, like distance, signal strength, etc.

Also, to get a correct reading, stop all browsing, uploading and downloading and then perform the test. You'll get a more accurate reading. The time when you do testing also matters. Try not to do at night when most people are online. You definitely won't get a satisfactory result.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by fireblaster_lyz View Post
    I am currently on Starhub's MaxOnline 6500.
    Notice its rates are lower because my family is using the net and playing online games (wtf?) and I am downloading ubuntu images ATM.

You should ask them. It occurs perheps due to recabling works in certain areas.
    As I've mentioned, if you want to get an accurate result, ask everyone in the family to stop for 3 minutes while you do the test. I'm sure you'll get a satisfactory result.

Tip: you can change the type of units (like to mbps) before you do the test.
    Kind Regards
    My Picture Website

Quote Originally Posted by Snowcrash View Post
    Wah piang ... din noe tat ... thanks for the headsup bro.

Well...finally I plunge...after one night of consideration...went down to Sitex again just now and sign up the 10mbps plan Q~ing for 1 hr plus though The deal including registration waiver, free wireless ADSL modem and $20 Takashimaya voucher...

I was thinking since I am already paying $58 for the max-online now, I just need to top up around $32 for the next 28mths to get the Sony Bravia LCD TV....so I think it's not too bad....I am eying for a LCD TV for quite sometimes and Sony is one of my fav other than the Sharp Aquos

Installation date is set at 9th Dec....the TV delivery will be another 2 weeks time after the activation....we will see then

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast