Thread: Super SteadyShot - Does it work??

Default Super SteadyShot - Does it work??

Hi there,

This might be a newbie question;

How do i know whether the Super SteadyShot function is working properly?

I have a Sony A100.

Rolldrum.

Default Re: Super SteadyShot - Does it work??

Ask somebody with Parkinson's to use your camera to take some photos.
    If photos come out sharp, then Super SteadyShot is working.

take 1 with and 1 without and try it out..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

I've tried taking the photo with and without the SSS. but cant really see the difference (newbie).

So any more ideas?

at the longest end of your tele lens, set to shutterspeed priority to 2 stops below the 1/focal length rule.

eg:300mm lens set to 1/300 take 1 photo. then set to 1/60 take 1 with and 1 w/o sss.

You got staedy hand mah.

The SSS is good for people w/o steady hands like me. Try taking long exposure pictures and the result may be more prominent.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    at the longest end of your tele lens, set to shutterspeed priority to 2 stops below the 1/focal length rule.

eg:300mm lens set to 1/300 take 1 photo. then set to 1/60 take 1 with and 1 w/o sss.

I only got the 18mm-55mm lens.

i've also tried to take one with a slower shutterspeed photo. havent got time to upload the sample. but it turn out pretty blurred too.

The SSS icon in the viewfinder is blinking. but sometimes only even though i have the SSS turned on all the time.

Well for whats it worth, i'll be going for a workshop conducted by sony this weekend. hopefully i can get a definite answer regarding this matter.

but any other suggestion as to where i can get this issued checked out? like a DSLR doctor or something??

ROlldrum

take a few same night scene shots with the SSS on and off, you probably can tell the different from there .
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by Rolldrum View Post

i've also tried to take one with a slower shutterspeed photo. havent got time to upload the sample. but it turn out pretty blurred too.

The SSS icon in the viewfinder is blinking. but sometimes only even though i have the SSS turned on all the time.

Well for whats it worth, i'll be going for a workshop conducted by sony this weekend. hopefully i can get a definite answer regarding this matter.

but any other suggestion as to where i can get this issued checked out? like a DSLR doctor or something??

ROlldrum
    Good for you, go attend the workshop. It helps more or less. Do read up the manual as well.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

ROlldrum
    I think you have the 18-70 kit right?

Anyhow, whatever you have, zoom as much as possible, and shoot handheld, indoors and/or with lower iso, such that you get a proper exposure but a shutter speed of 1/30, then take a picture with and without the SSS on. If both are sharp, try again with a shutter of 1/15 (etc. etc. until you get at least one photo which is sharp) You should use the proper handholding technique always (e.g. elbows in, etc.).

What SSS should do is improve your handholding abilities, and instead of being able to shoot at (for example) 1/60 and 70mm, you should be able to shoot sharp pictures at 1/15 (or slower) and 70mm.

It's not a miracle worker though, and if i'm not wrong the sony SSS only corrects for X and Y axis movements (the pentax SR also corrects for rotational movements around the X and Y axis) so don't expect -too- much from it. It definitely should work in general though.

Another thing to note is that SSS (and all it's variants, including in-lens stabilization like Nikon's VR and Canon's IS) does not always guarantee a sharp shot - it gives you a better -chance- of a sharp shot. So it'll be that you are more likely to shoot sharp pictures at 1/15 and 70mm, rather than making it -exactly- like 1/60 and 70mm (Assuming at 1/60 and 70mm you -always- shoot sharp pictures).

NB: "sharp pictures" above, assumes there are no other technical errors - e.g. misfocussing etc.

ROlldrum
    SSS is not a miracle pill. it is only to aid the photographer to a small extend. You got to understand the basics of taking a shake free photo w/o the SSS gimmicks in order to appreciate how the SSS can help and the extend of help it gives.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Ask somebody with Parkinson's to use your camera to take some photos.
    If photos come out sharp, then Super SteadyShot is working.
    its not very nice to say this...

ROlldrum
    wats your ISO & Shutter speed? if you set to high iso with fast shutter speed. then will be useless for eg, u shoot at 18mm 1/500, no diff...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

shd not rely on SSS too much. just treat it as an assistance to you, ultimately u still need some basic photographic skills and rules to take non-blur photos
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

to answer your question, YES! it works.

interested in that SSS test you tried.

1. did you purposely shook the camera?
    2. what was the shutter speed?
    3. what was the focal length?

It sure does and I'm pretty sure you have the 18-70mm kit lens. Never heard of an 18-55mm kit for minolta mount cameras...

and the answer to your question, YES, SSS works great... I did a simple test here and came to this conclusion after getting the Alpha myself.

How well it works depend on how steady your hands are.. but before you start to test it out, I think you need to go to the workshop and pick up some basics on photography such as aperture, shutter speed if you are new to photography.

Finally i managed to test out the SSS.

took a shot without SSS at 1/8.

then took another shot with SSS at 1/8.

zooming into both photos will show a distinctive difference.

thanks all.

RollDrum