Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OS Harddisk Crashed, Experts pls Help

Default Re: OS Harddisk Crashed, Experts pls Help

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    This advice sounds strange, unless you are telling us that hardware with Mac Tiger installed on it suffer less from hardware crashes from hardware with WinXP installed on it.
    No lah, the problem is a filesystem type of problem (NTFS), got nothing to do with the hardware itself. He recommended Mac OS X because it doesn't use NTFS but instead uses some Unix filesystem so this problem will not happen.

Try re-installing the same software used to partition the hdd. It shld be able to display the partitions.

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm alright. I'm not certain it was a filesystem type problem to begin with.

When my 120GB HD "crashed", connecting it to another computer could see the drive there, but no drive letter was displayed. It was one big partition too.

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    No lah, the problem is a filesystem type of problem (NTFS), got nothing to do with the hardware itself. He recommended Mac OS X because it doesn't use NTFS but instead uses some Unix filesystem so this problem will not happen.

If a HD crashed then it crashed. Doen't matter if it's Unix, Linux, Mac or Windows.

Hi guys, I have tried reinstalling WinXP on harddisk 2 (this time with SP2 version) but still, it fails to reveal the 4 partitions of my Sata drive. I know that if I now create a partition through Windows XP Installation Setup now, it would probably make windows detect the sata drive - but at the expense of complete data wipeout?

This problem is unique to me. Really appreciate if u can advise me on how to tackle my problem now. I'm still not prepared to seek professional help as they are far too costly...

like what some of the fellow CS members mentioned, plug in your sec hdd to another PC ( as internal or external drive ) and check whether the partitions' can be seen....

vince123123
    Guests

Is "harddisk2" the one with the 4 partitions? If so, you shouldn't be installing anything on it.

Quote Originally Posted by janzguy81 View Post
    Hi guys, I have tried reinstalling WinXP on harddisk 2 (this time with SP2 version) but still, it fails to reveal the 4 partitions of my Sata drive. I know that if I now create a partition through Windows XP Installation Setup now, it would probably make windows detect the sata drive - but at the expense of complete data wipeout?

This problem is unique to me. Really appreciate if u can advise me on how to tackle my problem now. I'm still not prepared to seek professional help as they are far too costly...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12