Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

  1. #1
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?
    28 Nov 06

    While walking down the street one day, an MP is tragically hit by a truck and killed. His soul arrives in Heaven and is met by St. Peter at the entrance.

    "Welcome to Heaven," says St. Peter. "Before you settle in, it seems there is a problem. We seldom see a high official around these parts, you see, so we're not sure what to do with you."

    "No problem, just let me in," says the MP.

    "Well, I'd like to, but I have orders from higher up. What we'll do is have you spend one day in Hell and one in Heaven. Then you can choose where to spend eternity."

    "There's no need! I want to be in Heaven," says the MP.

    "I'm sorry, but we have our rules." And with that, St. Peter escorts him to the elevator, the doors open, and he rides the elevator down, down, down. When the doors open again, the MP finds himself in the middle of a beautiful green golf course. In the distance is a club, and standing in front of it are all his friends and other politicians who had worked with him.

    Everyone is very happy and in formal dress. They run to greet him, and they reminisce about the good times they had while getting rich at the expense of the people. They play a friendly game of golf and then dine on lobster and caviar.

    Also present is the Devil, who is a very friendly guy who has a good time dancing and telling jokes. They are having such a good time that, before the MP realizes it, it is time to go.

    Everyone gives him a big hug and waves while the elevator rises.

    The elevator goes up, up, up, and the door reopens in Heaven where St. Peter is waiting for him.

    So 24 hours pass with the MP joining a group of contented souls moving from cloud to cloud, playing the harp and singing.

    They have a good time and, before he realizes it, the 24 hours have gone by, and St. Peter returns.

    "Well, you've spent a day in Hell and another in Heaven. Now, you must choose where you want to spend eternity."

    He reflects for a minute and then answers, "Well, I would never would have thought it, I mean Heaven has been delightful, but I think I would be better satisfied in Hell."

    So Saint Peter escorts him to the elevator, and down, down, down he goes into Hell. Now, the doors of the elevator open, and he is in the middle of a barren land covered with waste and garbage. He sees all his friends dressed in rags, picking up the trash and putting it in black bags. And it's hot, hot, hot, and the odor is just horrible. Sweltering hot. Hot and miserable. The Devil comes over to him and smoothly lays his arm around his shoulder.

    "I don't understand," stammers the MP. "The day before I was here, and there was a golf course and club, and we ate lobster and caviar and danced and had a great time. Now all there is is a wasteland full of garbage, and my friends look miserable."

    The Devil looks at the MP, smiles, and says, "Yesterday we were campaigning. Today you voted for us."

  2. #2

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    bahahahahah!!!!!!
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

  3. #3

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    lol...i've seen several variants of this joke, and it always cracks me up.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  4. #4

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    lol...i've seen several variants of this joke, and it always cracks me up.
    If you had chosen hell why don't you just move on to another place which you think is haven.

    So why stay here?

    If this place is hell, then where is haven?

  5. #5

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?


    The Devil looks at the MP, smiles, and says, "Yesterday we were campaigning. Today you voted for us."
    First time I saw this version.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    If you had chosen hell why don't you just move on to another place which you think is haven.

    So why stay here?

    If this place is hell, then where is haven?
    haha..
    why make things so complicated?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    If you had chosen hell why don't you just move on to another place which you think is haven.

    So why stay here?

    If this place is hell, then where is haven?
    anyone who chooses hell can never move to heaven.

    ppl stay here on earth cos they don't really have a choice.

    this place is not hell. this is earth. although it can sometimes become hellish, e.g. wars.

    heaven is a place up there...somewhere. don't know exactly where it is but i believe it exists.
    Last edited by zaren; 29th November 2006 at 01:54 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  8. #8

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    The Devil looks at the MP, smiles, and says, "Yesterday we were campaigning. Today you voted for us."
    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    lol...i've seen several variants of this joke, and it always cracks me up.
    I've smiled at quite a few variants of this joke but I must say that this one's punchline just cracked me up. Especially since the REAL reason for the GST hike came out in today's Straits Times.

    _

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    senGkanG
    Posts
    480

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    If you had chosen hell why don't you just move on to another place which you think is haven.

    So why stay here?

    If this place is hell, then where is haven?
    dont understand what you're trying to say..

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    The variants I've seen before are the billg one and the newly-hired one.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    but seriously saying, we can't really fit this analogy of this joke in singapore. though it is true that all these things are happening after the elections, there isn't really a "heaven" or "hell" for us to choose in Singapore, unlike in the joke. Though one might say voting for the opposition is the equilivent of the "heaven" in this joke, I still feel doubtful about the current ability of the opposition governing Singapore. It is just one of those problems of having a dominant political party.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    but seriously saying, we can't really fit this analogy of this joke in singapore. though it is true that all these things are happening after the elections, there isn't really a "heaven" or "hell" for us to choose in Singapore, unlike in the joke. Though one might say voting for the opposition is the equilivent of the "heaven" in this joke, I still feel doubtful about the current ability of the opposition governing Singapore. It is just one of those problems of having a dominant political party.
    I don't think the opposition can govern the country now... But better than having one party system...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    I don't think the opposition can govern the country now... But better than having one party system...
    By definition the opposition cannot govern, because they do not form the majority in Parliament. I know what you mean, but the concept that P A P is government and others are opposition is too ingrained in most S'poreans.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    By definition the opposition cannot govern, because they do not form the majority in Parliament. I know what you mean, but the concept that P A P is government and others are opposition is too ingrained in most S'poreans.
    Yeah... I know... We tend to put ***=government and other parties=opposition. By product of being govern by the same party for more than 40 years...

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren View Post
    anyone who chooses hell can never move to heaven.

    ppl stay here on earth cos they don't really have a choice.

    this place is not hell. this is earth. although it can sometimes become hellish, e.g. wars.

    heaven is a place up there...somewhere. don't know exactly where it is but i believe it exists.
    There are 3 Hells:
    One for the dead, one for the living and one within.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    but seriously saying, we can't really fit this analogy of this joke in singapore. though it is true that all these things are happening after the elections, there isn't really a "heaven" or "hell" for us to choose in Singapore, unlike in the joke. Though one might say voting for the opposition is the equilivent of the "heaven" in this joke, I still feel doubtful about the current ability of the opposition governing Singapore. It is just one of those problems of having a dominant political party.
    We don't need the politicians, the bureaucrates, all squabbling for their own benefits. We need a leader. A strong leader who's wise and solves problems. And if people don't listen, they will be made to listen....

    That's something off Star Wars Episode II that I'm planning to watch tonight.

    And I'm in complete agreement of what Anakin Skywalker said.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    We don't need the politicians, the bureaucrates, all squabbling for their own benefits. We need a leader. A strong leader who's wise and solves problems. And if people don't listen, they will be made to listen....

    That's something off Star Wars Episode II that I'm planning to watch tonight.

    And I'm in complete agreement of what Anakin Skywalker said.
    Erm... Some one like Mao Zedong or that Kim Weirdo in North Korea?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    By definition the opposition cannot govern, because they do not form the majority in Parliament. I know what you mean, but the concept that P A P is government and others are opposition is too ingrained in most S'poreans.
    No politic.... just heaven and hell.. the choice is yours you choose your destination. If hell is hell then go to heaven and if heaven is not heaven then go to hell... ???????/

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    No politic.... just heaven and hell.. the choice is yours you choose your destination. If hell is hell then go to heaven and if heaven is not heaven then go to hell... ???????/
    Wah... Cheem... Catch no ball...

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore Fable: Why some people choose Hell?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    Erm... Some one like Mao Zedong or that Kim Weirdo in North Korea?
    Look at it, which person in Asia can hold on power for so long, make his own people starve yet at the same time ensure that there's no revolts and yet hold on a bargaining chip up against in full defiance against the entire international community?

    Kim Jong Il's wise and strong in his own right.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •