Thread: 2 wk Chiangrai/Golden Triangle trip, dig imaging req???

Default 2 wk Chiangrai/Golden Triangle trip, dig imaging req???

Now I have the Canon A40, 8 x Sanyo 2100mAh NiMh AA batteries, and 2 x Ridata 128 Mb CF.

Now, in April I will be in Chiangmai/Chiangrai/Golden Triangle for Songkran for about 2 weeks. So if I were to shoot 256 shots in a day(plus some 10sec movie clips), that will be 256MB a day(2 x 128Mb CF). A set of 4 AA's and my 2 x 128Mb would suffice for a day right?

However, for the entire 2 weeks, when it comes to digital memory and battery requirement, how shld I prepare? A laptop is totally out of the question.

My leanings are towards:

Set 1: (optimistic about the IT amenities over there)
    Memory: USB CF Reader for downloading into Cybercafe's computer to b burnt onto CD-Rs
    Battery: 8 x 2100mAh AA NiMH with the Sanyo charger to be recharged in the guesthouse or in our Thai host's home.

Set 2: (not optimistic at all about the amenities)
    Memory: Buy an X-drive with at least 10Gb hardrive with its rechargable lithium battery fully charged(will it last me 2 weeks without recharging?)
    Battery: Shld I get the Maha S$85 charger with a 12V car adapter, so at least I could charge in any truck/off-roader I can find over there?

Set 3: Please advise... my dear GURUs!

better be not too optimistic or .... get a film camera ??

I've been to Chiangmai/changrai/maesai recently for a 4 day trip. Had 3 x 128mb, used up about 2 1/2 memory cards, but I took at a lower resolution to ration it out,.

In ChiangMai, there are at least 2 photoshops that has services to print digital photos or downloading of your pictures from your memory card into a CDrom.

The time taken to burn to CDrom is a few hours for 1 shop and the other takes 1 day, both costs around SGD 9 if i remember.

As for charging ur batts, make sure u've got the correct pin adaptor to plug ur batts in (flat 2 pin i think). Depending on what mileage u get for your batts, make sure you've got at least 1 or 2 spare sets. I brought about 4 sets there just in case I couldn't charge in time.

Not sure about the amenities outside of Chiangmai though, but if u're staying in chiangmai mostly, shouldn't be that bad. It's quite civilised

Originally posted by sljm
    better be not too optimistic or .... get a film camera ??
    I had a blast of a time with my A40 in Hadyai recently in particular with the video recording function of the camera. Can do wonders in that 10sec actually.

So a film camera would be out. But still I would be bringing my Canon Water-resistant film camera for the Songkran-Water festival in Chiangmai/Chiangrai.

Originally posted by taicw
    I've been to Chiangmai/changrai/maesai recently for a 4 day trip. Had 3 x 128mb, used up about 2 1/2 memory cards, but I took at a lower resolution to ration it out,.

In ChiangMai, there are at least 2 photoshops that has services to print digital photos or downloading of your pictures from your memory card into a CDrom.

The time taken to burn to CDrom is a few hours for 1 shop and the other takes 1 day, both costs around SGD 9 if i remember.

As for charging ur batts, make sure u've got the correct pin adaptor to plug ur batts in (flat 2 pin i think). Depending on what mileage u get for your batts, make sure you've got at least 1 or 2 spare sets. I brought about 4 sets there just in case I couldn't charge in time.

Not sure about the amenities outside of Chiangmai though, but if u're staying in chiangmai mostly, shouldn't be that bad. It's quite civilised
    many thanks! Your advise is priceless!
    I think my 2 x 128MB would not be enough even if I were to shoot with a lower resolution.
    Thinking of renting a X-drive as recommended by folks at hardwareforum. As for the batteries, I wud get more AA sets then.
    Had taken a look at your pbase pics, make me all the more excited about my trip now. Thanks so much for sharing. Btw, what camera did u use for the Chiangmai trip?

If I were to be staying at homes of the locals in Chiangrai, would it be possible to charge my batteries and X-drive then? as you've probably guess I wouldn't be in Chiangmai most of the time. Any more tips to share?

Advertiser

hentaitic,

please let me know if you require Maha chargers (with/without batteries), I can give you a special price for them.

We also offer the Nixvue Vista (Visual Storage Album) for rental. Nixvue Vista is better than X-drive, as it has an LCD screen and Windows Explorer-like interface to view your photos and ensure that your files are successfully copied to the harddisk. On the X-drive or X-drive II, there is no way to view files to confirm that the copy was successful.

Please call me at 96226876 to find out more.
    EastGear Pte Ltd
    65 Ubi Crescent, Singapore 408559, Tel: +65 68371582 Fax: +65 68371583

Originally posted by EastGear
    hentaitic,

please let me know if you require Maha chargers (with/without batteries), I can give you a special price for them.

We also offer the Nixvue Vista (Visual Storage Album) for rental. Nixvue Vista is better than X-drive, as it has an LCD screen and Windows Explorer-like interface to view your photos and ensure that your files are successfully copied to the harddisk. On the X-drive or X-drive II, there is no way to view files to confirm that the copy was successful.

Please call me at 96226876 to find out more.

Hmm, do u hv any 'lubang' for the "Image Tank" huh? Becos it can be powered from 6 x AA batt by the powerpack. Also can be powered from the car charger. Just like the Maha AA charger. As such I am really considering the Maha charger. Need sometime just to think... and BUDGET!!!