Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: cable release and lens newbie questions

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default cable release and lens newbie questions

    Hi everyone,

    1) From the Nikon pricelist, I see that the cable release is about $36 while the wireless one is $16. How come wire more expensive?

    2) How do you convert the lens mm value (eg 135mm) to how many times zoom?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member Taurean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    White Elephants Town
    Posts
    1,700

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post

    2) How do you convert the lens mm value (eg 135mm) to how many times zoom?
    Eg. 18-135 mm is considered a 7.5x Zoom lense. (135 / 18 = 7.5x)
    Last edited by Taurean; 28th November 2006 at 04:35 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    Hi everyone,

    1) From the Nikon pricelist, I see that the cable release is about $36 while the wireless one is $16. How come wire more expensive?
    I'm not sure which one you refer as cable release,
    but if I look at the Nikon Singapore web-site "cable release AR-3 will cost you SG$ 18",
    compare to Nikon "Modulite Remote Control ML-3 will cost you SG$ 282".

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    2) How do you convert the lens mm value (eg 135mm) to how many times zoom?

    Thanks.
    Zoom lens usually will have minimum and Maximum number, i.e 12-24 mm or 18-135 mm or 18-70 mm or 18-200 mm,
    if you want to know "how many times" zoom, just devide max by min zoom, i.e 24 / 12 => 2X zoom or 200 / 18 => 11 X

    Cheers

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    thanks for the replies.

    I was looking at:
    Remote - Nikon MC-DC1 Remote Release Cord - $35
    and
    Remote - Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control - $16

    As for the lenses, would objects viewed using a 55-200mm at the lowest mm look closer then, as compared to 12-24mm using the lowest mm?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    thanks for the replies.

    I was looking at:
    Remote - Nikon MC-DC1 Remote Release Cord - $35
    and
    Remote - Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control - $16

    As for the lenses, would objects viewed using a 55-200mm at the lowest mm look closer then, as compared to 12-24mm using the lowest mm?
    not a nikon user, but i kinda know that...

    the wireless remote here can only allow u to do timer or single shot, u can't do bulb mode with it, esp u can't do fireworks with it unless you set shutter like 10sec. It have a lag too iirc.

    the wired one allows u to do bulb, and also focusing. 1/2 press focus, full press shutter, and also a lock for long exposure bulb.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  6. #6

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    not a nikon user, but i kinda know that...

    the wireless remote here can only allow u to do timer or single shot, u can't do bulb mode with it, esp u can't do fireworks with it unless you set shutter like 10sec. It have a lag too iirc.
    This is absolutely wrong. If u are not sure then do not post wrong information .

    With the d70s, The ML-L3 DOES allow you to do bulb mode. the first "press" on the remote will open the shutter, and the 2nd "press" will close the shutter.

    you do not need to hold the button down or anything.
    There is also no "lag" to speak of.

    I am not sure if this is the case with the d80, but it probably is.

    As far "X" zoom. 1x zoom in a compact camera is ~35mm so a 300mm lens has like 8.6x "zoom". This however is not the correct terminology to use. Zoom ratio is normally the Tele/Wide ratio for the same lens and has nothing to do with how "near" an object appears.
    Case in point: a 500mm prime has 1x zoom. But it's a super telephoto!\

    Regards

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    not a nikon user, but i kinda know that...

    the wireless remote here can only allow u to do timer or single shot, u can't do bulb mode with it, esp u can't do fireworks with it unless you set shutter like 10sec. It have a lag too iirc.

    the wired one allows u to do bulb, and also focusing. 1/2 press focus, full press shutter, and also a lock for long exposure bulb.
    Set camera shutter speed to 'BULB', set camera to remote mode, press once to open shutter, wait as you like, press once again to close shutter.

    I know because I have Nikon D70s .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Set camera shutter speed to 'BULB', set camera to remote mode, press once to open shutter, wait as you like, press once again to close shutter.

    I know because I have Nikon D70s .

    Regards,
    Arto.
    okie, stand corrected... so wats the advantage of the wired then? hmm...

    anyway, just asking, can the wireless do focusing?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #9

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    okie, stand corrected... so wats the advantage of the wired then? hmm...

    anyway, just asking, can the wireless do focusing?
    yes it can. It will AF then take the picture. there's no "half-press" though.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by scenar View Post
    yes it can. It will AF then take the picture. there's no "half-press" though.
    okie, so the only advantage of the wired is this... cos that way, i'd rather do MF than to rely on the blind AF.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    okie, so the only advantage of the wired is this... cos that way, i'd rather do MF than to rely on the blind AF.
    IIRC the wired remote can do timer. So instead of counting 60 seconds, it can be programmed to wired remote to open shutter for 60 seconds.

    IIRC, wired remote also can do half press if I am not wrong (depend on wired remote model).

    Another advantages of wired remote: say 20 peoples using all nikon and all using IR remote to take fireworks. You can imagine if they are stand close together, one person press IR remote button and the other yell "****........", the other "@$#*!!$!..." .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    okie, so the only advantage of the wired is this... cos that way, i'd rather do MF than to rely on the blind AF.
    I know (hopefully I am right ) Canon IR remote have separate focus and release buttons. But is that really useful? Like you say blind focussing?

    Regards,
    Arto.

  13. #13

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Another advantages of wired remote: say 20 peoples using all nikon and all using IR remote to take fireworks. You can imagine if they are stand close together, one person press IR remote button and the other yell "****........", the other "@$#*!!$!..." .

    Regards,
    Arto.
    omg, tts really funny. haha. =)

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    I heard this really happened during the fireworks earlier this year.

    Quote Originally Posted by skopio View Post
    omg, tts really funny. haha. =)

  15. #15

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    i think the major advantage of the wired one is that it doesnt require batteries to operate, so fail safe compared to the IR one where the battery is not that convenient to get/..ie. not AA.

    Also, you would need Line of Sight of the remote controller and the camera front sensor (yeh, that means, you would not be enjoying that much taking fireworks). On the other hand, the wired one allows you to seat down and enjoy the fireworks while pressing the button. It has half pressed too.

    Advantage of the IR one is for self portriat or for taking group pictures including oneself.
    I have both but use the wired one more. Yeh, just remembered, if you take macro, the wired one will work better coz the IR holding hand might "disturb" your subject. =)

    Hope that helps.

  16. #16

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Another advantages of wired remote: say 20 peoples using all nikon and all using IR remote to take fireworks. You can imagine if they are stand close together, one person press IR remote button and the other yell "****........", the other "@$#*!!$!..." .
    Thinking in another manner is that you can sit down and let people "take pictures for you".... (unless the Nikonian beside you is a newbie)
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Toa Payoh
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Just bought the wireless ML-L3.

    I think with autofocus, before I use the remote, if I half-press and gain focus, it will not do another refocus again when I then press the button on the remote.

    Just a brief experiment late last night.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: cable release and lens newbie questions

    Dats becos it is already in focus when you half-press mah. unless you move the cam and it is OOF again, then it will re-focus when you press your remote.

    Quote Originally Posted by monkster View Post
    I think with autofocus, before I use the remote, if I half-press and gain focus, it will not do another refocus again when I then press the button on the remote.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •