Thread: need advise to upgrade my PC

Default need advise to upgrade my PC

Hi, could somebody pls help me! i have been using my PC more than 2-3yrs and find it it bit slow when editing some photos! i would prefer to upgrade my parts than purchase a brand new set.

currently my spec:
    CPU p4 2.4
    ram kingston 256 and 512 DDR 333
    seagate 60 GB
    external 200HDD 8mb

what do you think i should upgrade? if possible the cost for the parts

cheers

Default Re: need advise to upgrade my PC

sorry forget to add in

graphic card
    nivida GF2 MX200 64mb

only ur HDD is usable if u intend to change CPU n mainboard...

u can get
    intel core2 duo n main board
    1/2gb ddr2 533/633MHz ram
    x1600/7600GTX
    Last edited by dreamerz; 28th November 2006 at 01:33 AM.
    Buying a DSLR/SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner
    My Site

set 60gb as main hdd. 200 as storage lor.

60gb as scratch disk also can.

upgrade the mobo and rams and graphics can liao la.. dun need to spend all the cash.

my 0.2 rupees.

add more RAM.

Thanks for the advise! what u guys mean that just upgrade my rams and graphics? can my motherboard support the latest hardware? btw what is mobo?

Quote Originally Posted by yymun View Post
    Thanks for the advise! what u guys mean that just upgrade my rams and graphics? can my motherboard support the latest hardware? btw what is mobo?
    mb= motherboard. can tell us your motherboard model? like that we can see what's the max DDR it can support.

Ah.. Yours is not here not there.. Just use it for may be another year and change the whole system..

Your graphic card is the weakest of all but the mb can support only 8x agp cards. Nowadays most of the latest cards come in PCI express. Not compatible.

If you are not playing game, your system is quite usable.

I don't think you need to upgrade your PC at all. I'm using more or less the same system, except that I have 1GB RAM (which you can upgrade) and three disk spindles (three physical HDD).

Photoshop doesn't make much demand of your graphic card. It does eat a lot of RAM and temporary disk space. So make sure your HDD is in good condition by doing regular defrag, also don't stinge on paging file size, and try to configure the second disk as a scratch disk for photoshop.

Also occasionally reinstalling windows does help to speed things up by cleaning out the file system and registry.

but if you want to play the latest games, then time to upgrade the whole system
    Last edited by hwchoy; 28th November 2006 at 10:40 PM.

agreed with hwchoy on reinstalling ur Windows & defrag ur hdd.
    See if there's any improvement, if not, then consider upgrading.

When was the last time u reinstalled ur windows or did defragement?

If I am you...I will subscribe to Starhub Max online 24mths contract and get the free PC with upgrade option....it beats the crap out of your current PC even after your upgrade.....alternatively some people are autioning it at quite attractive price at yahoo so it save you some hassle swapping parts trial and error here and there

Just kidding on the above hope you don't mind.....but there are some truth in it...let me analyse

Since there is no detail info of your mobo.....I just assume it's the most popular Intel 865PE chipset 478pin socket motherboard.....if you are lucky, your motherboard should support Intel P4-3.0E processor.....this will give you some headroom in processing mussle with the hyperthreading and faster clockspeed.....unfortunately this cpu runs hot and needs extra cooling, otherwise the stocks intel fan will spins like mad and is very noisy

The most direct upgrade for you is to plug in more ram and this will be the first thing I will do if I am you......256MB is really petatic for todays application.....get any DDR333 and above ram and it should works fine.....if you are into overclock then be more choosy about ram timing....and most people says 1GB at least for photoshop...so I will agree with the majority

As for harddisk...becareful if you just go out and spurn cash on those new big size's HDD...some older Mobo might not be able to recognize anything larger than 80GB...some do support after bios upgrade.....and not to mention those interface like Sata or Sata2....so again the constraint will be down to your mobo again

And lastly your graphic card....if unfortunately you are stucked with those onboard intel or those Nvidia MX chip.....then most likely you need to look at something more decend but with AGP bus....your choice is limited

Also it's not worth to get your parts brand new from stores.....becoz it will cost the same if not more expensive than those latest generation for example the ram and gfx card.....you can try those second hand from HWZ or Yahoo or Ebay....but again there are a lot of risks in buying used item and eventually your effort and money wasted could be more than the performance you gain after all

Bro, i think u got him wrong. He has a 256 & 512MB ram. Total 768MB.

Quote Originally Posted by evq View Post
    Bro, i think u got him wrong. He has a 256 & 512MB ram. Total 768MB.
    Hahaha...my eyesight got prob liao....like that TS still feels slow then I think his system 神仙难救 liao.....he needs to revamp the entire system....core 2 duo is the way to go....I just got one in my office this afternoon...it was a E6400 with 1GB ram and it was so obviouly faster than our previous batch of 3.2GHz Pentium D 940

Unfortunately it was due to deliver to end user so I can't run any benchmark on it...but from the moment we expand the OS to finish installing the applications....I can feel the applications just scream through.........now I am sold...tempting to revamp my aging AMD3200+ at home too

if it's of any use to you, i just upgraded my pc today.. i was using a p4 1.5ghz before with 768mb ram (133mhz ).. yeap, was still using that until this morning it's been 5yrs.. i got myself a asus motherboard (can't remember the exact model, but it's the one that has built-in audio and video), p4 3ghz, 1gb ddr2 400mhz ram, normal casing, 160gb sata hdd for $560.. pretty reasonable setup.. at least now my photoshop loads much quicker but looking at the specs of your existing setup, i don't think it will make as much difference as it did for me.. probably like what others have suggested, try reinstalling windows and see..

Hi, could somebody pls help me! i have been using my PC more than 2-3yrs and find it it bit slow when editing some photos! i would prefer to upgrade my parts than purchase a brand new set.

currently my spec:
    CPU p4 2.4
    seagate 60 GB
    external 200HDD 8mb

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by evq View Post
    agreed with hwchoy on reinstalling ur Windows & defrag ur hdd.
    See if there's any improvement, if not, then consider upgrading.

When was the last time u reinstalled ur windows or did defragement?
    EVQ, hitch hiker fan I see?

currently my spec:
    CPU p4 2.4
    seagate 60 GB
    external 200HDD 8mb

cheers

It is best if you plan with a budget in mind first. Let the amount of cash or your budget determine how far it can be stretched, then work out the spec. If you feel it is too high end for you, just scale down to your requirement and save some cash for other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    EVQ, hitch hiker fan I see?
    Just find this movie interesting, not really fan lah.

well...if u are tinking of a low cost solution...wat i suggest would be...

1x 80gb hdd
    1x 6600GT gfx
    1x 512mb ram

these on the second hand market would cost you about 250-300 at the most.. though i do suggest getting a brand new hdd... but speed increases may be minimal unless u really decide to go for 2gb of ram... and importantly, u may want to format your computer..

if u really have to money to burn....

1x c2d processor with motherboard
    1x 7X00GT gfx
    2x 1gb ram
    2x 120 gb hdd - u'd prob get 2 unless your old 60gig hdd is sata or sata2....

i like the idea of having an external hdd if you are the kind that uses it for backup and finishes up the space very quicky...this way, all you have to do is keep changing the ext hdd w/o having to open up the casing and all

do check out hardwarezone forums..they really have alot of tips there...

cheers..

i say wait till next feb ~ mar as well.

vista will be out and core 4 would be out.
    core 2 price will be down and you can change the whole system all together.

hi, thank you for all advise ! current my mb is Intel D845 GEBV2