Default _____ Say Cheese _____

Camera: Canon Canon EOS D30
    Exposure: 0.013 sec (1/80)
    Aperture: f/4.5
    Focal Length: 24 mm
    ISO Speed: 200
    Exposure Bias: 0/3 EV

Default Re: _____ Say Cheese _____

Ok, serious critique. It's quite a funny subject, but there are several problems. Firstly, the DOF is insufficient for what you're trying to show. I can't help but feel that the (buddha?) on the left should be part of the main subject, and I believe it was, since you've included it in the photo prominently. It is clearly out of focus due to insufficient DOF. F8 would have served you better. I find the green plant on the top right an annoyance as well. There's just not quite enough careful attention to detail here.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

hi stoned, thanks for taking time to comment. Really appreciate it. Before I sound defensive, let me state that I'm not, so let's put that away.

Let's do the easy part. The bright green leaf. 100% agree. distracting. should be better crop/clone away.

now the harder part, should the face in front be sharp?

let's look at the following pic:

Probably it's easier to say that in this case, 1 sharp face is better.

I guess it's hard to say and generally, there's 2 camps: 1 that wants everything sharp from mouth to nose to eyes, another camp that will have nothing but the eyes sharp. It's a photog's choice I guess.

So i guess, it really depends.
    (in fact, i would say it's not blur enough .... no choice, the lens is at best a F4.5)

Once again, thanks for taking time to look and comment and share your thoughts. Cheers!
    Last edited by speedblade; 28th November 2006 at 12:19 PM.

This one is ok because the face takes up much less of the frame, i would say 5%? The other one takes up a good twenty percent and receives much greater prominence because of it's positioning. Anyway, this is just my personal view, it's good to believe in yourself.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

No worries. any comments are welcomed.

Believe too much is unhealthy too. Thanks again. Cheers.

There's a candid feeling to this shot. Looking at the figure to the left, it's as if it's someone who's just noticed he's being photographed and is turning towards the photographer and smiling.