Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much is PROMISE worth?

Question How much is PROMISE worth?

This is nothing new in the forum. Everyone will at least encounter once in the liftime.

Many a times, be it the buyer or seller, we will negotiate the price of an item to buy / sell. Once confirmed, the next step is to arrange a place / time to meet up to close the transaction.

However, within mintues / hours of meeting up, the buyer / seller will either cancel or quoted that there is someone else who offers a better price.

For e.g. the seller will inform the buyer that he has just received an higher offer even though he has alredy confirmed the deal, fixed the time / place to meet up with the buyer earlier. So the deal is off unless you can match the highest offer.

To the seller, promise and integrity is worthless / peanut. No amount of education can help one to change this mindset. Is it something inborn?

Of course, over in the forum, we are talking about camera gear, bags, accessories, etc. something that is not big deal or worth lot of money but from these incidents, we can see how human beings behave in the darkness side.

However, I must also commemorate those who sticked to their promises even though they have received higher offers. I have seen a few. These are people who will succeed in life, be it big or small.

A food for thought for everyone.
    Last edited by USM; 27th November 2006 at 04:11 PM.

Default Re: How much is PROMISE worth?

Quote Originally Posted by USM View Post
    This is nothing new in the forum. Everyone will at least encounter once in the liftime.

Many a times, be it the buyer or seller, we will negotiate the price of an item to buy / sell. Once confirmed, the next step is to arrange a place / time to meet up to close the transaction.

However, within mintues / hours of meeting up, the buyer / seller will either cancel or quoted that there is someone else who offers a better price.

For e.g. the seller will inform the buyer that he has just received an higher offer even though he has alredy confirmed the deal, fixed the time / place to meet up with the buyer earlier. So the deal is off unless you can match the highest offer.

To the seller, promise and integrity is worthless / peanut. No amount of education can help one to change this mindset. Is it something inborn?

Of course, over in the forum, we are talking about camera gear, bags, accessories, etc. something that is not big deal or worth lot of money but from these incidents, we can see how human beings behave in the darkness side.

However, I must also commemorate those who sticked to their promises even though they have received higher offers. I have seen a few. These are people who will succeed in life, be it big or small.

A food for thought for everyone.
    Bro, long time no see and den see u posting such depressing topics?

Aiyah forget it liaoz lah. We all see our fair share in B&S. Price crashers lah and ppl like that.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Broken promise .. HOW ??
    AMPA * WPPI * J team

Blog Entries

that is the problem with the bidding system
    which i do not do

cheers

I think this kind of problem is especially painful for sellers. You prepare the stuff sui sui beforehand, check and clean and pack nicely, you even rearrange your appointments sometimes to suit the buyer but last minute kena cancellation.
    Some worse, did not arrive (send aeroplane).

In eBay, the way we punish these kind of people is to leave negative feedback to warn others. I normally stay away from people with positive feedback but who also have negative feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    that is the problem with the bidding system
    which i do not do

cheers
    I dun think there's a problem with the bidding system.

And this problem is inherent everywhere....

There's a problem with people's integrity.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    I dun think there's a problem with the bidding system.

And this problem is inherent everywhere....

There's a problem with people's integrity.
    greed, the bidding system is based on greed

I don't think this is a problem with the bidding system itself.
    It's a problem of integrity. You can also break a promise with a direct deal (no bid).

Default Money talk better in most case .

Sometime the seller feel bad and sometime the buyer .
    Bidding is still good as it's still a way to sell your beloved stuff to a new buyer without losing alot of money .
    But one thing ?
    I feel very strange here is that one of my friend mention many time to me that he will not buy any "digital camera" from Clubsnap because the price the people here are asking very close to the New price and Digital stuff are improving so fast .Hmmmm....!
    Just sharing , if any harm in my words don't take it so seriously .

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG View Post
    Broken promise .. HOW ??
    Heard somewhere "PROMISE ARE MADE TO BE BROKEN!"

Default Re: Money talk better in most case .

i also recently sold my lens. put up at price X.. then buyer negotiate to price Y.. after meeting him.. he further negotiate again, become Y-20.. aiz.. just sell lor..

If you feel the price is not right then just don't sell. Else you can impose a "to deposit $20 upon confirmation" rule. So if ppl play you out then dun sell to them but then again, if the seller's goods are flawed and buyer rejects it then it is only fair to return the deposit. Either way, caveat emptor rules.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT ONG View Post
    Broken promise .. HOW ??
    I know of other broken things that are more disastrous. hahaha
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

How much is PROMISE worth? ................. as much as your reputation.
    always the Light, .... always.

Our problem here is the person breaking the "promise" faces absolutely no consequences. I have heard many times, someone complaining this and that, but had the guilty party been named? Not even the nick is named!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Our problem here is the person breaking the "promise" faces absolutely no consequences. I have heard many times, someone complaining this and that, but had the guilty party been named? Not even the nick is named!
    Ya, name them... gimme a picture even...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Ya, name them... gimme a picture even...
    Yar.. USM, who?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Not true, I did name the guilty party but I also agree that the system is not perfect. I did not give that person a negative rating because he too can retaliate by giving me a negative rating as well, even though I did not renegade my part of the deal.

Since he only has about 50 postings to his credit, he can always start over by registering a new nick.

../azul123

A 'promise' and notions like 'integrity' and 'honour' does not exist among too many locals. Like someone mentioned once before, unfortunately, ours is a society that understands only two things: reward and punishment.

Pat pat...I know how you feel and I got it once.....but being a free buy and sell marketplace there tends to have some small timer take advantage of that and squeeze out extra dollar in that manner.....trust me......intergrity is the last thing they believe and there is no point for us loosing our cool

I have a few occasions drove from 1 end of Singapore to the other end, holding my goods waiting for sellers who never came or showed up...
    On the brighter side, I also met a few good ppl who actually arrived 10 minutes before time, holding cash in their hands, ready to deal...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast