Thread: Need advise on FREE Compaq Presario notebook with MaxOnline

Default Need advise on FREE Compaq Presario notebook with MaxOnline

Hi guys,

I am thinking of renewing my Starhub Maxonline subscription and go for the FREE Compaq Presario notebook, details below:

https://secure.starhub.com/shop/jfn?...motionId=61817

Looking at the specs of the notebook, which offers 256MB ram and 40GB HDD, was thinking whether to go for the optional upgrade at S$329 which offers:

1. Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition*
    2. Processor Intel® Core 2 Duo processor T5500 1.66GHz (2MB L2 Cache, 667MHZzFSB)
    3. Memory 512MB
    4. Hard Disk 80GB
    5. Optical Drive SuperMulti Drive with Lightscribe Technology, 8X DVD-RW Double Layer
    6. Graphics Integrated Intel Accelerator 950, up to 128MB shared graphics
    7. Warranty 1 year limited parts, labour & carry-in

Here's my question. Will the above spec with the upgarde enable me to use it for Photoshop CS2 without too much problems? Or should I just take the free notebook without paying for the optional upgarde but buy RAM (say up to 1GB) and HDD (not familiar with notebook HDD prices)? Anybody have any ideas how much does notebook RAM and HDD cost?

Would appreciate advise from you tech gurus.

Default Re: Need advise on FREE Compaq Presario notebook with MaxOnline

512MB of RAM is too low. And personally I don't trust HP notebooks.... Better stick with IBM Thinkpad.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    512MB of RAM is too low. And personally I don't trust HP notebooks.... Better stick with IBM Thinkpad.
    Thanks for the advise but since the notebook is free (some what), cannot choose what brand we want.....so trying to see whether is it worth while to go for it.....

Anybody else who can give me some advise?

Quote Originally Posted by funksoulava View Post
    Hi guys,

I am thinking of renewing my Starhub Maxonline subscription and go for the FREE Compaq Presario notebook, details below:

https://secure.starhub.com/shop/jfn?...motionId=61817

Looking at the specs of the notebook, which offers 256MB ram and 40GB HDD, was thinking whether to go for the optional upgrade at S$329 which offers:

1. Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition*
    2. Processor Intel® Core 2 Duo processor T5500 1.66GHz (2MB L2 Cache, 667MHZzFSB)
    3. Memory 512MB
    4. Hard Disk 80GB
    5. Optical Drive SuperMulti Drive with Lightscribe Technology, 8X DVD-RW Double Layer
    6. Graphics Integrated Intel Accelerator 950, up to 128MB shared graphics
    7. Warranty 1 year limited parts, labour & carry-in

Here's my question. Will the above spec with the upgarde enable me to use it for Photoshop CS2 without too much problems? Or should I just take the free notebook without paying for the optional upgarde but buy RAM (say up to 1GB) and HDD (not familiar with notebook HDD prices)? Anybody have any ideas how much does notebook RAM and HDD cost?

Would appreciate advise from you tech gurus.
    Go for the upgrade. And snap in a 1 GIG ram.