Thread: Photoshop not responding?

Default Photoshop not responding?

Please......tell me what is wrong.........

Keep getting "Photoshop CS2 not responding" in window task manager after just a few step of simple act.

and is not one but two such message at one time.

sometime after waiting for minutes, it came back but most of the time, still do get anywhere after 15 minutes.

Can you help? Thanks

Default Re: Photoshop not responding?

how much RAM do you have on your system?

Any simultaneous programs that running?

Thumbs up Re: Photoshop not responding?

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 1.5 GB of Ram

Info from Windows Task Manager

Top 5 Mem usage
    Photoshop.exe 70672K
    VersionCueCS2.exe 64464K
    swdoctor.exe 49948K
    explorer.exe 25948K
    svchost.exe 23296k

I have tried shut down internet and the swdoctor before running PS. Same problems appeared.

I have even reinstall the XP on a new hard disk before I install PS. Not useful.

Is there any patch I missed?

are you using "chiong" one???

Quote Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
    are you using "chiong" one???
    No no no.....original

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN LEE View Post
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 1.5 GB of Ram

Info from Windows Task Manager

Top 5 Mem usage
    Photoshop.exe 70672K
    VersionCueCS2.exe 64464K
    swdoctor.exe 49948K
    explorer.exe 25948K
    svchost.exe 23296k

I have tried shut down internet and the swdoctor before running PS. Same problems appeared.

I have even reinstall the XP on a new hard disk before I install PS. Not useful.

Is there any patch I missed?
    Check you virtual memory size.

Another solution might be to allocate your "scratch" disk to another HD... Keep your "working space" on a HD other than the one with your OS installed.

Hope this helps.

I had an incident where my photoshop simply freezes for no reason, even after a couple of times restarting it. It turns out to be fine after i deleted a certain folder after googlin the error, then photoshop starts as normal. Didn't have anything to do with RAM...

If you're still able to operate your PC normally after you have terminated the non-responding Photoshop, go to Control panel ...performance and maintenance ........administrative tool .....event viewer .... and check on the system error log records to see what event has caused the error.

This may help in identifying the problem.

Strangely, I never had a problem with Photoshop, but my preview folders always hang in ImageReady.
    Last edited by Prismatic; 24th November 2006 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder View Post
    If you're still able to operate your PC normally after you have terminated the non-responding Photoshop, go to Control panel ...performance and maintenance ........administrative tool .....event viewer .... and check on the system error log records to see what event has caused the error.

This may help in identifying the problem.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I have check the log and can't identify any pattern during the last few error.

However, learn something new from this and I think is very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Goondoo View Post
    Check you virtual memory size.
    I have just change the virtual memory size to max and will test the program again. Thanks for suggesting that.

No luck..... still having the same problem. Even just adding one layer for adjustment.

I am concern why there are two photoshop task running at the same time?

Is this correct?

Just wondering what are your Photoshop settings for memory and image cache under your edit/preferences/memory and image cache?

Anyway, 2 suggestions :

1) reset your preferences to factory default
    To ensure that it's not a peculiar setting which causes the problem.
    However, I don't think this is the probable cause in your case. Goto suggestion 2 below.

4. Re-create the Photoshop preferences file.

Re-create the Photoshop preferences file to eliminate problems that a damaged preferences file might cause.

To re-create the Photoshop preferences file:
    1. Quit Photoshop.

2. Rename the Adobe Photoshop CS2 Prefs.psp file (for example, to Adobe Photoshop CS2 Prefs.old) in the Documents and Settings\ [username] \Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\9.0\Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings folder.

3. Start Photoshop. Photoshop creates a new preferences file.

If the problem continues, the preferences file isn't the cause. To restore custom settings, delete the new preferences file and restore the original name of the previous preferences file.
    2) Is your Pentium running Hyperthread? If yes, disable it in the BIOS.
    I was checking in the Adobe forum and someone claimed that there were some bugs in some earlier hyperthreading Pentium 4 chips which would cause this problem and her problem was solved by disabling Hyperthread in the BIOS.

(enable cookies to read Adobe Forum. If it doesn't get to the page on first attempt, try again with the same address. Her system and problem were similar) :
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc15277

Photoshop CS2 Freezes for no reason

Anne Nguyen - 06:27pm Aug 19, 2006 Pacific

I've posted this topic before a long time ago but never got a solution to this problem and this has become reallly frustrating!

I have Photoshop CS2 9.0.1 and it keeps freezing at random time for no apparent reasons; whether it's some heavy task such as filtering or as simple as drawing a line. PS would stop responding and when I click somewhere else on the screen, the background, tool/layer palette, and everything else turn white.
    Sometimes it returns to normal after 1-10 minutes or I have to End Task and start over again.
    I tried to turn off Hardware acceleration, Defrag, Disk cleanup, Reinstall, recreate Pref, and update display driver but same problem occurs over and over again

Please help me with this problem, I've had this problem since the day I installed Photoshop and its killing me! Thanks

System spec:
    Windows XP Pro. 2002, SP 2
    Intel Pentium 4
    3.00 GHz, 1GB of RAM
    Troubleshooting guide : http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/327946.html
    Last edited by Clockunder; 24th November 2006 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clockunder View Post
    2) Is your Pentium running Hyperthread? If yes, disable it in the BIOS.
    I was checking in the Adobe forum and someone claimed that there were some bugs in some earlier hyperthreading Pentium 4 chips which would cause this problem and her problem was solved by disabling Hyperthread in the BIOS.

(enable cookies to read Adobe Forum. If it doesn't get to the page on first attempt, try again with the same address. Her system and problem were similar) :
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc15277

Troubleshooting guide : http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/327946.html
    I disable the Hyperthread and tried some heavy adjustment of 2 photos. So far so good, not facing any problem like before. This solution works for me.

BIG THANKS to Clockunder!!!!