Thread: Abt shoot raw??? total newbie

Default Abt shoot raw??? total newbie

i just my fz-50 for a few days, teated the basic function, but after reading the manual and did a search here, i still dun understand the advantages in shooting raw, can soneone enlighten me? tks

Default Re: Abt shoot raw??? total newbie

shooting raw allows the camera to store the raw image being captured by the sensor, instead of doing some processing and storing into jpeg.

this way, u can better adjust things like white balance and exposure.

if u dont really like to do processing, then you should shoot in jpeg instead. also its sometimes very time consuming to do post processing. imagine u shoot ur entire holiday in RAW, amounting to about a few hundreds of images. think u will process till u sianz.... :P though there is always scripting to help bulk processing....

also RAW images are bigger in size, hence they will fill up storage cards and camera buffer faster.

i shoot in RAW+L using the D70s. so i got both. then i will see how the jpeg turn out.
    D70s-er Since 2005

RAW means the picture is stored in the card as how it was taken.

Jpeg involves compression by the camera to it's settings and capabilities. Thus it may not give the best picture.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zcwnfx View Post
    shooting raw allows the camera to store the raw image being captured by the sensor, instead of doing some processing and storing into jpeg.

this way, u can better adjust things like white balance and exposure.

if u dont really like to do processing, then you should shoot in jpeg instead. also its sometimes very time consuming to do post processing. imagine u shoot ur entire holiday in RAW, amounting to about a few hundreds of images. think u will process till u sianz.... :P though there is always scripting to help bulk processing....

also RAW images are bigger in size, hence they will fill up storage cards and camera buffer faster.

i shoot in RAW+L using the D70s. so i got both. then i will see how the jpeg turn out.
    if like that say, then if there is a under exposed pix, then i take in raw format, i can change it when i get to a computer?

Quote Originally Posted by compro_1975 View Post
    if like that say, then if there is a under exposed pix, then i take in raw format, i can change it when i get to a computer?
    You can save it.. only if it's slightly under-exposed. I believe you can recover it by about 1 stop or so....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site