Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

Default Re: The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

How come no one said anything about sam and max hits the road? One of my all time favourite adventure game.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    since we are walking memory lane..

wing commander used to come in 16 floppy discs. my frens and i used to buy those 'stapler' kind of device from beauty world to cut a notch at the side of the floppy disc so dat we can use both sides.

when wing commander III came out in 1 CD (the first of it's kind in the world, IIRC), it was like... suddenly everyone wanted a 1x CDROM, which costs like $500++?
    wing commander III came out in a 4CD pack. in other games origin released it contained a piece of paper saying, "Is your system ready? (for WC3)"... WC4 -- 6CDS. back then it was more like 4X already.
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    The very 1st CD-ROM.... 1x and 2x. Getting so exciting when singing karaoke, listening to CDs on computer was a reality.

Who still remember the following?
    - Sound Blaster
    - Sound Blaster Pro
    - Sound Blaster 16

I remember I bought the 'Game Blaster' package that came with a 2x CD-ROM. Its not those motorised tray, rather its a eject-and-pull-tray type. Playing Rebel Assault, its madness.

How was WCIII? Cos that time WCIII required Pentium to run and I was hitting the limit on WCII already.

I vaguely remember the Hornet, Schimiter (yucks), Raptor (woo hoo!), Rapier, Broadsword (tropedo slow poke), Saber, MorningStar (nukes galore!) and flying the saucer-plate like Kilrathi fighter (starts with a 'D' forgot name liaoz) on the Secret Missions II.

Who remembered that the 1st CD-R writer to hit the market costs $1000?
    Dralthi bro!
    Canon 300D, 30D, 5D. 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L, 70-200 f2.8 L IS

Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    How come no one said anything about sam and max hits the road? One of my all time favourite adventure game.
    OMG, Sam & Max, one of favs too
    I got the diskette version from MPH long long ago (there was a CD version with full voice but I couldn't afford it at that time, but I have since managed to d/l the CD version )
    There's a new sequel out called Episode 1: Culture Shock.
    Please support them.

http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax

Deregistered

try this:

C:\>dir/a/w/p/s

i used to SET DIRCMD=/p/oen in my autoexec.bat to set environment parameters so i didn't need to key in all that

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    QEMM, anyone ? DOS/4GW ?
    Norton Commander (now morphed into Total Commander (not by Symantec), which I use )
    wolf3d was one of the few early DOS4GW programs that came out.

Heard abt QEMM, but I only used the EMM386 manager instead. In fact config.sys took me the longest to learn & figure out since my computer teachers merely taught me basic functionality rather than things like Upper Memory Management stuff.

My favourite was PCTools and not forgetting the defragmentation program that came with it. It wasn't until DOS6 then it came with its own defrag function. I remember including it in the autoexec to defrag everytime I boot up. (the command: defrag c: /f)
    those were the days too when norton defrag used to fit nicely into a bootable floppy disk.. and yes, qemm386 and its own MANIFEST... that was when i was in sec 1! i used to charge 2 bucks from my schoolmates to optimize their config.sys + autoexec so that they had 608K+ conventional memory free so they could play some games. i don't remember how i learnt it, but step by step until i mastered it, to 616K memory free. falcon 3.0 and 3.01 was the main reason why i did it, but i didn't know HOW to play because it was too complex for me....

Heard abt QEMM, but I only used the EMM386 manager instead. In fact config.sys took me the longest to learn & figure out since my computer teachers merely taught me basic functionality rather than things like Upper Memory Management stuff.

My favourite was PCTools and not forgetting the defragmentation program that came with it. It wasn't until DOS6 then it came with its own defrag function. I remember including it in the autoexec to defrag everytime I boot up. (the command: defrag c: /f)

Norton Disk Doctor. Its still around right?

Psst! Stacker & Joshi Virus anyone?
    Remember this catchline on bootup?

Your PC is Stoned
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Remember this catchline on bootup?

Your PC is Stoned
    oh man... i still had nightmares cos my frens and i ended up spending the sat morning cleaning up the PCs in our sch...

DCA - remember the Brain virus?

djork - u're right! man... so long ago liao... hehe... wonder who still have the original WCIII lying at the bottom of the cupboards.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Deregistered

Oh yes. I wonder how many people knew about the DEVICEHIGH= command for config.sys and LOADHIGH for autoexec...

Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    Dralthi bro!
    yahyahyahyah..... That's the one!!!

The 4 'aces' of the Kilrathi in WCI, anyone remembered? Except that bugger flying the Sarthi fighter, which is the leader that attacked the Transport freighter and will turn tail to lure u away if u hit enuff critical damage on him (his fighter flies really damn quick away so if u chase him, u'll be sending the tanker to its death if 3 of his fighters let loose).

The remaining 3 are pretty easy, 1 missile a few shots and they are goners.

The wingman's basically useless. I usually order them to Break and Attack and kill them first. I can't do it with WCII though as they will return fire.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    oh man... i still had nightmares cos my frens and i ended up spending the sat morning cleaning up the PCs in our sch...

DCA - remember the Brain virus?

djork - u're right! man... so long ago liao... hehe... wonder who still have the original WCIII lying at the bottom of the cupboards.
    Ping Pong!

P/S: I still have the original WCI & WCII on CD. But most modern system would be too fast. U'll simply get killed in 1 nanosecond.

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan View Post
    i used to SET DIRCMD=/p/oen in my autoexec.bat to set environment parameters so i didn't need to key in all that

wolf3d was one of the few early DOS4GW programs that came out.

those were the days too when norton defrag used to fit nicely into a bootable floppy disk.. and yes, qemm386 and its own MANIFEST... that was when i was in sec 1! i used to charge 2 bucks from my schoolmates to optimize their config.sys + autoexec so that they had 608K+ conventional memory free so they could play some games. i don't remember how i learnt it, but step by step until i mastered it, to 616K memory free. falcon 3.0 and 3.01 was the main reason why i did it, but i didn't know HOW to play because it was too complex for me....
    Falcon! I still have the instruction manual! It wasn't until games like USAF came out followed by USNF flight sims start to get really good with the wide selection of planes.

did you managed to play USAF on WinXP?

Deregistered

I still have Super Bomberman, Armor Alley, Sensible Soccer...
    Last edited by sehsuan; 24th November 2006 at 11:13 PM.

I still have the Bernoulli Disks from Iomega/Fuji, now sitting side by side to my Zip disks. Maybe if I keep them long enough, they will be worth something... I should have paid $10 for the drives when the uni got rid of them, now I cannot find any Bernoulli drives anymore.

Ha ha... I just noticed I did 888 posts!!
    Last edited by Caspere; 27th November 2006 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    did you managed to play USAF on WinXP?
    Haven't tried it ever since I got a Mac

Haven't tried it ever since I got a Mac
    sigh, I'meven thinking of putting aside a W98 partition just to run this game. but then it'll probably still not work as the new cards have no drivers for W98.

NPNT ,,,
    My first one was a toy com ... the Commodore 64 bought in 1982
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

Followed by a Atari (juz to play the space invader .... used to play after dinner right thru the early morning .... shooting stupid moving invaders ...haha)
    http://www.atarimuseum.com/mainmenu/mainmenu.html

Then the first serious pc i bought was a IBM compatible, the EAGLE, bought in 1983, costing me about $10k with a dot-matrix printer .... and used it like an expensive typewriter (something like word) as well as a dos program that works like a simple excel. I didnt get the IBM coz it would have costed me $13k!
    http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=529

Unfortunately threw away all these old computers when moving house!

This is the fourth pc i got .... used it as a personal com .... a 286.
    The 286 system is a single computer based on the 16 bit Intel 80286 microprocessor , with 512KB - 2MB on board RAM, speed 10 MHZ, mine was a 1MB RAM
    1.2MB floppyy Disk Drive
    Feb 1989 .. costing around $5,000!
    Luckily i found it in my storeroom .... wouldnt mind to donate to any school which wants to show their students how the old pc looks like ....

The manual and floppy disks ...
    always the Light, .... always.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456