Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

Default Re: The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    i remember got more than 1 leh... even rebel assault also 2 cd liao iirc...
    The original Rebel Assault 1 came in just a single CD (trust me, cos I still have it).
    Rebel Assault 2 came in 2 CDs though.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

If u dunno DOS last time, basically u can't get games to run. I guess that's what motivated all to learn DOS, configuration of autoexec.bat, config.sys and going onto more complex batch file programming, echo command and so on.

I remembered the face everyone made when they turned on the PC and all that's in front of them is a black screen (assuming if 'cls' command is the last line in autoexec) and a C:\>_ prompt and ppl will go, "Har?!"

These days, everything's so laid out and ppl getting spoilt that learning CLI is a chore for most ppl when it was a necessity last time (dun learn, no games! )

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    Oh i remember Gods.. played damn far in that one but the temple stage puzzles Damn jia lat one.. the dragon at that level got to find some special orb to distract him so you wont get injured and can just whack.....

The least dungeon stage also damn hard but it was fun... IIRC wolfenstien 3D this function called Boss key where if you press f10 or sth it would simulate a DOS prompt so it wouldn't look like you were gaming....
    Oh GODS, one of my fav game, completed the game in 3 days. Lemmings is also a nice game, wonder where can we still dl all these old DOS base games.
    400D | 17-85mm f4.0-5.6 | 50mm f1.8 | 55-200mm f4.5-5.6 | 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 | 430EXII |
    My Pics

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    If u dunno DOS last time, basically u can't get games to run. I guess that's what motivated all to learn DOS, configuration of autoexec.bat, config.sys and going onto more complex batch file programming, echo command and so on.

I remembered the face everyone made when they turned on the PC and all that's in front of them is a black screen (assuming if 'cls' command is the last line in autoexec) and a C:\>_ prompt and ppl will go, "Har?!"

These days, everything's so laid out and ppl getting spoilt that learning CLI is a chore for most ppl when it was a necessity last time (dun learn, no games! )
    Truely agree. even now there's still the autoexec.bat, config.sys, boot.ini and IO.sys. Its jus that in windows, u can choose to view or hide all these system files.
    400D | 17-85mm f4.0-5.6 | 50mm f1.8 | 55-200mm f4.5-5.6 | 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 | 430EXII |
    My Pics

Ur worst fears cometh true....

C:\>A:
    Error Reading Disk Media
    Abort(A)? Retry(R)? Fail(F)?

How many here developed the ability to actually KNOW when the media's gonna fail simply by listening to the drive as the needle reads the platter on the floppy?

The very 1st CD-ROM.... 1x and 2x. Getting so exciting when singing karaoke, listening to CDs on computer was a reality.

Who still remember the following?
    - Sound Blaster
    - Sound Blaster Pro
    - Sound Blaster 16

I remember I bought the 'Game Blaster' package that came with a 2x CD-ROM. Its not those motorised tray, rather its a eject-and-pull-tray type. Playing Rebel Assault, its madness.

How was WCIII? Cos that time WCIII required Pentium to run and I was hitting the limit on WCII already.

I vaguely remember the Hornet, Schimiter (yucks), Raptor (woo hoo!), Rapier, Broadsword (tropedo slow poke), Saber, MorningStar (nukes galore!) and flying the saucer-plate like Kilrathi fighter (starts with a 'D' forgot name liaoz) on the Secret Missions II.

Who remembered that the 1st CD-R writer to hit the market costs $1000?
    I still have the Sound Blaster and Sound Blaster Pro sound card at home. All the game CDs that comes with the sound card is still kept in my drybox.
    My Pics

Ur worst fears cometh true....

C:\>A:
    Error Reading Disk Media
    Abort(A)? Retry(R)? Fail(F)?

How many here developed the ability to actually KNOW when the media's gonna fail simply by listening to the drive as the needle reads the platter on the floppy?
    This probally happened to most ppl. even till 2dae, when u hear a "kiak, kiak, kiak" from ur floppy drive(provided u have one at home). u can jus take the floopy disk n throw it into the dustbin.
    Last edited by match80; 24th November 2006 at 09:57 AM.
    My Pics

Bad command or file name

Quote Originally Posted by match80 View Post
    Oh GODS, one of my fav game, completed the game in 3 days. Lemmings is also a nice game, wonder where can we still dl all these old DOS base games.
    Gods, GoldenAxe (it came out on PC after the Sega Megadrive version), ROK, Wing Commander, Lemmings... How many keyboards u'd destroyed (esp the cursor keys)?

Anyway, if u guys wanna look for old, old games. Google using the following keyword "abandonware"

This probally happened to most ppl. even till 2dae, when u hear a "kiak, kiak, kiak" from ur floppy drive(provided u have one at home). u can jus take the floopy disk n throw it into the dustbin.
    And also the signature *whirr-whirr* pause *whirrrrr-whirrrrr-whirrrrrrrrrrrrr~~~~* stops dead

Disk write failure
    Abort(A), Retry(R), Fail(F)?

QEMM, anyone ? DOS/4GW ?
    Norton Commander (now morphed into Total Commander (not by Symantec), which I use )

Heard abt QEMM, but I only used the EMM386 manager instead. In fact config.sys took me the longest to learn & figure out since my computer teachers merely taught me basic functionality rather than things like Upper Memory Management stuff.

My favourite was PCTools and not forgetting the defragmentation program that came with it. It wasn't until DOS6 then it came with its own defrag function. I remember including it in the autoexec to defrag everytime I boot up. (the command: defrag c: /f)

Norton Disk Doctor. Its still around right?

Psst! Stacker & Joshi Virus anyone?

Wah... this thread brings back lotsa memories leh... PCTools, wonderful tool for hacking games so that you have 99 in all stats...

Yeah, you can really tell when the disk is going by the sound of it. Remember I used to clean fungus infested disk by using the cleaning fluid and tissue paper. It works you know.

The hex editor!!

Love it man.

The hex editor!!

Love it man.
    Yeah... 63 is an important number to remember... hehe

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbean View Post
    Yeah, you can really tell when the disk is going by the sound of it. Remember I used to clean fungus infested disk by using the cleaning fluid and tissue paper. It works you know.
    Hehehe.... Remembered playing with the disk cleaning liquid. It evaporates real quick on skin and gives that cool feeling.

The disk cleaner looks like a normal disk except it has a platter of white cleaning material instead of the black magnetic platter. U drop a few drops on the exposed area. Pop it into the drive and access it with A: or B: and let it spin until the error message comes out.

It worked a few times for me. Subsequently I think the drive failed cos no amount of cleaning would help in reading faulty disks.

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Thanks for the memories.
    Don't forget those Kennedy tape drives too -- as big as your refrigerator. I *lurve* watching the auto-loading ones work, using just air and sensors to thread the tape leader into the take up spool.
    I didn't know they were called Kennedy drives. yup its always fun to mess with the tapes especially the IBM ones.

Gods, GoldenAxe (it came out on PC after the Sega Megadrive version), ROK, Wing Commander, Lemmings... How many keyboards u'd destroyed (esp the cursor keys)?

Anyway, if u guys wanna look for old, old games. Google using the following keyword "abandonware"
    where can I buy Lemmings to play? I still love this cute game

I'm not sure if mine still works.

Anyway only like 3MB or so nia (and those days 4MB was like wah~~~ now give me store 1 lossless song oso cannot ). I'll see if the old diskette still works and....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast