Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

Default Re: The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

to all..... NPNT ...
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    to all..... NPNT ...
    you mean
    Last edited by hwchoy; 23rd November 2006 at 10:04 PM.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Lmodel View Post
    I got my first PC (286) in 1989 and I bought a 40MB HDD for $400. Back then, the most popular game is RTK3 and comes with 3 floppy. Boot up is via a Dos 6.22 diskette.
    DOS 6.22 (MS) wasn't released until at least three years later.

Quote Originally Posted by match80 View Post
    P1 was 100Mhz, dats was my first own PC, way back in 1990 like dat.
    Odd. According to memory, my 486DX4-100 came in about 1994. Where you created a 100MHz chip BEFORE all the rest...

I think even later than 94, the DEC HiNote laptop (the sexiest laptop ever, I still say) had a 486 at 75MHz and that should be in 95.

Only the Alpha and the other RISC processors were running in the hundreds of MHz in those days.

a:> copy con autoexec.bat

dir/w
    echo This disk will automatically load the classic Donkey game.
    echo Are you ready?
    pause
    cls
    basica donkey.bas
    ^z

a:>

If I remember correctly, did this quite a bit.

a:> format c: /s

../azul123

dir/w/p/a is my fave command...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma View Post
    I started with DOS 3.2. Then came DOS 5 and finally 6. When there was a memory shortage as mentioned in this thread earlier, I made huge profits selling RAM. Ahhhh those were the good old days. Sure brings back memories.
    Those were the days, nw u try selling DDR1-RAM, they tell u each oni $30 for 512MB, take it or leave it. I still remember selling off those EDO RAM 16MB, 32MB and 64MB, still can gt $100+ back. Really, those were the good old days.
    400D | 17-85mm f4.0-5.6 | 50mm f1.8 | 55-200mm f4.5-5.6 | 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 | 430EXII |
    My Pics

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    me not that old, but I used to work where there are some old gear especially those in my customer place they don't dare to replace the running systems, some of which are as old as I am (mid 40s).

the hard disk depending on which vendor, they call them different names. IBMers call them DASD, the DECcies call them Disk Drive. You spin them either by console command or by pressing the run button on the front, and yah they're like your washing machines. its very fun to spin them up one by one because they sound like jet engines accelerating (only 3600 rpm) which takes 15-20 seconds to spin up (because the platters are so heavy) and as you spin more and more drives its like a bloody jet fleet waiting to take off

some are fixed and some are removable, I used to have stacks of 60MB disk packs under my desk as footrest, these are 14-inch diameter disks.

oh and if you don't level them properly they can vibrate themselves and move, because the head assembly is huge and heavy, and sooner or later will cause a head crash. You can hear every head access and it is actually possible to tell what operating system is being booted by listening to the system disk noise.

yah the good old days of the big iron.

Thanks for the memories.
    Don't forget those Kennedy tape drives too -- as big as your refrigerator. I *lurve* watching the auto-loading ones work, using just air and sensors to thread the tape leader into the take up spool.

Software Protection thru the ages

In the Apple II days, they actually intentionally created bad sectors in the floppies to prevent disk to disk piracy. The pirates actually came out with special software (Locksmith, etc) to copy these type of floppies.

Later in the PC days, when you bought those copy games, together with the diskette(s), there is a manual or a cardboard diagram or wheel. When you start the game, it will ask you to look in the manual, a certain page, which paragraph and type in a certain word. LOL Sometimes, it will ask you to check the cardboard diagram or turn the wheel for a certain colour or code.

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post

In the Apple II days, they actually intentionally created bad sectors in the floppies to prevent disk to disk piracy. The pirates actually came out with special software (Locksmith, etc) to copy these type of floppies.

Later in the PC days, when you bought those copy games, together with the diskette(s), there is a manual or a cardboard diagram or wheel. When you start the game, it will ask you to look in the manual, a certain page, which paragraph and type in a certain word. LOL Sometimes, it will ask you to check the cardboard diagram or turn the wheel for a certain colour or code.

I can remember there was a game i had called magic pocket for DOS, after every level they would show you 4 symbols and you had to match it with a 4 digit code found in the manual if not cannot continue . There was another game called Spear of Destiny, based off the classic FPS Wolfenstien 3D(does any one remember this game? its the ansector of doom!), that had this thing where before you start the game they ask you trivia questions on based on the game manual also hehe..
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    I can remember there was a game i had called magic pocket for DOS, after every level they would show you 4 symbols and you had to match it with a 4 digit code found in the manual if not cannot continue . There was another game called Spear of Destiny, based off the classic FPS Wolfenstien 3D(does any one remember this game? its the ansector of doom!), that had this thing where before you start the game they ask you trivia questions on based on the game manual also hehe..
    Magic Pocket by the Bitmap Bros (also made Gods, Chaos Engine (my fav)) ?
    I think I used the cracked version

Wolfenstein 3D !!! haha, every morning, I get to work early just to play this game on the office 386 (speed demon). One day the manager came in and saw me playing, oh oh, nice game, he said, make a copy for me !!

Oh i remember Gods.. played damn far in that one but the temple stage puzzles Damn jia lat one.. the dragon at that level got to find some special orb to distract him so you wont get injured and can just whack.....

The least dungeon stage also damn hard but it was fun... IIRC wolfenstien 3D this function called Boss key where if you press f10 or sth it would simulate a DOS prompt so it wouldn't look like you were gaming....
    Furry Photos - Photography for the Modern Pet

Magic Pocket by the Bitmap Bros (also made Gods, Chaos Engine (my fav)) ?
    I think I used the cracked version

Wolfenstein 3D !!! haha, every morning, I get to work early just to play this game on the office 386 (speed demon). One day the manager came in and saw me playing, oh oh, nice game, he said, make a copy for me !!

u sound so old... i was still in shorts when i was playing it...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

anyone remember Nibbles and Gorrilla that comes with QuickBasic in DOS?

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    since we are walking memory lane..

wing commander used to come in 16 floppy discs. my frens and i used to buy those 'stapler' kind of device from beauty world to cut a notch at the side of the floppy disc so dat we can use both sides.

when wing commander III came out in 1 CD (the first of it's kind in the world, IIRC), it was like... suddenly everyone wanted a 1x CDROM, which costs like $500++?
    The very 1st CD-ROM.... 1x and 2x. Getting so exciting when singing karaoke, listening to CDs on computer was a reality.

Who still remember the following?
    - Sound Blaster
    - Sound Blaster Pro
    - Sound Blaster 16

I remember I bought the 'Game Blaster' package that came with a 2x CD-ROM. Its not those motorised tray, rather its a eject-and-pull-tray type. Playing Rebel Assault, its madness.

How was WCIII? Cos that time WCIII required Pentium to run and I was hitting the limit on WCII already.

I vaguely remember the Hornet, Schimiter (yucks), Raptor (woo hoo!), Rapier, Broadsword (tropedo slow poke), Saber, MorningStar (nukes galore!) and flying the saucer-plate like Kilrathi fighter (starts with a 'D' forgot name liaoz) on the Secret Missions II.

Who remembered that the 1st CD-R writer to hit the market costs $1000?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

The original Lemmings disk that came in a single 3.5" floppy (or was it 2?) had the same type of protection as well.

In the end, a simple diskcopy command solved everything.

I remember dabbling in electronic Bulletin Board Systems (BBS), the precursor to the internet in the early 90s. You had to dial directly to a standalone server to check your email/forum postings, on 1200/2400 bps modems.

This thread is becoming a "Thanks for the memories" nostalgia galore.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    dir/w/p/a is my fave command...
    try this:

C:\>dir/a/w/p/s

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    u sound so old... i was still in shorts when i was playing it...
    XDD, I said I'm old fart, wat Call me uncle

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast