Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

Default Re: The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    sinclair ZX80 anyone? uses tape recorder as 'floppy' input and your television as a monitor.. meaning i had a 15" monitor back in the 80s!!!!!
    Yup, remember those. Monitor is monochrome some more. Even before CGA or EGA.

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Yup, remember those. Monitor is monochrome some more. Even before CGA or EGA.
    green color 1... hahaha...

i remember my 1st was a CGA with 'color switch' which is damn useless... mai siao siao... CGA = CMYK ok...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    green color 1... hahaha...

i remember my 1st was a CGA with 'color switch' which is damn useless... mai siao siao... CGA = CMYK ok...
    actually, i remember can choose green or brown colour still monochrome, though.

actually, i remember can choose green or brown colour still monochrome, though.
    peng you, i color blind wor.. can know its monochrome is good enuff liao... i guess green cos someone told me...

gimme apples, ask me color, i die infront of ya...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

sinclair ZX80 anyone? uses tape recorder as 'floppy' input and your television as a monitor.. meaning i had a 15" monitor back in the 80s!!!!!
    That was my very first computer!!! Well,... my bro's! I think we still have that at home... anyone knows what's that is worth today???
    Last edited by KLCHUA; 23rd November 2006 at 05:44 PM.

My 128MB memory stick (the blue type) costs $119 3 years ago.
    Eugene

we are all talking about those old equipment.... wondering if CS will still be here 10 years down the road and we all come back and say

- "last time we have 2GB thumbdrive"
    - "last time 30-inch LCD monitor is the king"
    - "my largest disk is 500GB"
    - "we have quad core CPU"

maybe that time it will be

- "now we have 20TB hair-drive"
    - "now we have omnimax screen"
    - "now we have 5000TB hard disk"
    - "we have 30-core CPU"

peng you, i color blind wor.. can know its monochrome is good enuff liao... i guess green cos someone told me...

gimme apples, ask me color, i die infront of ya...
    Wu ngiah boh, I thot you driving ? Better ask TP to revoke your lisen man !

Wu ngiah boh, I thot you driving ? Better ask TP to revoke your lisen man !
    shhhh... u know i know can liao... the rest invisible...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    we are all talking about those old equipment.... wondering if CS will still be here 10 years down the road and we all come back and say

- "last time we have 2GB thumbdrive"
    - "last time 30-inch LCD monitor is the king"
    - "my largest disk is 500GB"
    - "we have quad core CPU"

maybe that time it will be

- "now we have 20TB hair-drive"
    - "now we have omnimax screen"
    - "now we have 5000TB hard disk"
    - "we have 30-core CPU"
    And 1TB of RAM still not enuff for my Windows ZZ.

Blog Entries

since we are walking memory lane..

wing commander used to come in 16 floppy discs. my frens and i used to buy those 'stapler' kind of device from beauty world to cut a notch at the side of the floppy disc so dat we can use both sides.

when wing commander III came out in 1 CD (the first of it's kind in the world, IIRC), it was like... suddenly everyone wanted a 1x CDROM, which costs like $500++?
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    since we are walking memory lane..

wing commander used to come in 16 floppy discs. my frens and i used to buy those 'stapler' kind of device from beauty world to cut a notch at the side of the floppy disc so dat we can use both sides.

when wing commander III came out in 1 CD (the first of it's kind in the world, IIRC), it was like... suddenly everyone wanted a 1x CDROM, which costs like $500++?
    1 CD meh?

Aiyo.. y u all bring back all these memories.

My virgin computer as a knock-off Apple II, called Lingo. Cannot remember the ram already. That time most hip thing was using this Apple Logo software for Vector graphics programming beside Basic. I remember programming using Hex, and dabbled some Binary. KNNBCCB. Those were the times. Vivitar 110 and Kodak 35 Instamatic. Primary School

2nd computer was a $3000 8088XT 64mb ram Lingo (again..sic) Beige/brown sh*tty color; separate CPU, keyboard, 14" green CRT. I swear it must have cost my father some major budget problems. He really love me ...sic.. Olympus Pen half-frame.

Next was a NEC computer 128ram with Color RGB CRT, a ROM OS, totally different from Apple and the 8088. On NEC BASIC, using LPRINT instead of PRINT to send codes to printers. Though, it was much easier to do vector graphics.Chinon CE5 SLR with 50mm1.8 and OSAWA 70-210mm. Secondary School

Next upgrade was an AT, Orange Brand!! No sh*t... They actually have a Pineapple model too.

Then a 486.. Wah lao, time flies....

My uni days were the best..
    I own a Macbook 1600 with MSOffice (16 x 3.5" diskettes still with me now), did 72+hrs rendering on PowerPCs 6800s, dabble digital imaging, Afga slide maker with a Nikon body attached, drum scanners, Fuji CSW-690 for MF, Speed Graphic for LF, Zone systems, and my first EOS Rebel X with a shitty Sigma lens.

Now, I have 4 computers at home; Compaq AMD 3000 XP Socket A 512mb ram DDR, DIY AMD 3000 Sempron 754 2x512mb DDR, DIY AMD 2600 Sempron 939 512mb DDR2, and my latest DIY Intel E6300 Allendale on DS3 overclocked 2.94 2x1gb DDR2! 2 of them on UPS and 24/7.

Electronics like computer and ram will always drop value/cost over time.. But this trip brings back memories sia...
    Last edited by Caspere; 23rd November 2006 at 06:26 PM.

Reading all the posts sure brings back fond memories of my first too;

- My first computer was, cant remember the brand, but its data was stored on normal cassette tapes and I had to remember strings of command syntax I think to do basic programming. Goodness, today all such commands are interfaced and simply by use of F keys etc.
    - Next I had my Apply, the all-in-one very cool looking computer then whie my office uses the green coloured monitor that uses the 10 inches disk drive. Top of the range back then especially when preparing ROPs, doesnt need to type over 7 pages and omg, when it came to corrections, I can rem how teruk then :P
    - In fact I think I still kept the pieces of 10 inches diskettes in my office that contains the famous "Photoshops" of that period, must take some pictures of this diskette and post them here to share wif the younger CSnapians.
    - I also remember the deep regret felt when I was instructed that I had to power down the computer after use bcso I was used to just turning the mains off in earlier versions
    - My 1.2 g sony cam, P1 if I am not wrong was already very good then and I remember that I was told that at that period, the commercially used digital camera at about 4 g I think were goging for 14k! A lot of money for that period.

Yup, time changes everything and agree that its difficult to imagine the change 10 years from here. I dun think its linear. Just comparing vibrating pagers and how it evolves to 3G phones in such a short time.

Keep your experiences coming. ...

Blog Entries

1 CD meh?
    1 right? i think it was those early generation 640MB CD.....
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    1 right? i think it was those early generation 640MB CD.....
    i remember got more than 1 leh... even rebel assault also 2 cd liao iirc...

Wah, old timer Lau qian bei
    that must be the core memory you are talking about. From the 60s ? The term "core dump" still surviving today.
    The hard disk, is it those huge removable disk paks that they put in housings as big as your washing machines ?
    Yep, we don't ever reboot the big iron either.
    me not that old, but I used to work where there are some old gear especially those in my customer place they don't dare to replace the running systems, some of which are as old as I am (mid 40s).

the hard disk depending on which vendor, they call them different names. IBMers call them DASD, the DECcies call them Disk Drive. You spin them either by console command or by pressing the run button on the front, and yah they're like your washing machines. its very fun to spin them up one by one because they sound like jet engines accelerating (only 3600 rpm) which takes 15-20 seconds to spin up (because the platters are so heavy) and as you spin more and more drives its like a bloody jet fleet waiting to take off

some are fixed and some are removable, I used to have stacks of 60MB disk packs under my desk as footrest, these are 14-inch diameter disks.

oh and if you don't level them properly they can vibrate themselves and move, because the head assembly is huge and heavy, and sooner or later will cause a head crash. You can hear every head access and it is actually possible to tell what operating system is being booted by listening to the system disk noise.

yah the good old days of the big iron.

I think i used to have one of this also. Couldn't remember the name but i remembered having to "load" 8 to 12 cassette tapes just to load a game... and the monitor was those monochrome "green" monitor. And usually left with last or 2nd last cassette then prompt you load fail and start all over again...

My next pc was followed by 286. I think they were running on "dosshell", no windows during that time.

Used to have a "dot matrix" printer for my school project report, no ink jet then.

My first pentium 133 pc used to run on only 2MB graphic card. I remember upgrading to a "8MB" graphic card for about $200+... Now can get at least 256MB graphic card for below $200.

Looks like I'm an old fart compared to you all
    My first personal computer (not IBM PC) was a clone Apple II Plus bought in People's Park Centre (yes, in those days, there was no SLS, and PPC was the "in" place for electronics and computer stuff). Last time where got hard disk If you got TWO 360kb floppy drives, you are quite pro already, because most people got one only.
    That time computer spoil can still repair by buying those 74LS chips from Sim Lim Tower
    I also remember one time, many years ago, if you walk around SLS, you cannot find RAM to buy even when you got money, all selling motherboards with empty sockets only, no RAM (is that the Sumitomo fire someone mentioned above ?). I think it was either in the late 80's or early 90's. I think it was XT or 286 days.
    My colleague and I did our very first overclock on those 486DX-33, change the system bus speed to 40MHz and got a nice 20% boost. Later, we thot why not do better, change the 486DX2-66 to 80MHz in the same way. Nowadays overclocking no fun anymore.
    I remember there was one time, in the Pentium or 486 days, I was selling 2nd-hand 1MB RAM SIMMS for $100 a piece (2nd-hand, not new).
    I played Snake Byte on Apple II, love this game... can easily get hooked on it.

../azul123

I started with DOS 3.2. Then came DOS 5 and finally 6. When there was a memory shortage as mentioned in this thread earlier, I made huge profits selling RAM. Ahhhh those were the good old days. Sure brings back memories.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast