Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

Blog Entries

Default Re: The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

haha i remember getting this really good deal
    i bought 16MB of RAM for around $700-$800

4 x 4MB, that time my 486 PC was a speed demon
    Now i am using a 5-6 years old Mac

Bandwidth means more to me now.

last time did Cobol and Turbo C programming....ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by match80 View Post
    I still remember playing with the 10" floppy disk.
    10" floppy?

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    10" floppy?
    maybe 10" floppy disk is times before the 5 3/4" disk era?

Quote Originally Posted by match80 View Post
    And also the game SanGuo Zi. Comes in 3 5 1/2" Floppy. The most porpular DOS game sld be PACMAN!!!
    I still remember playing with the 10" floppy disk.

Correct me if i m wrong, 286 isnt using DOS 6.22, instead it sld be DOS 3. As my 386 is running DOS 4. Slowly changed to 486 running Windows 3.1 with DOS 5. DOS 6.22 oni came out when there's Windows 3.1a running on Pentium 100Mb.
    10"?! U sure?
    I'd read, studied and used 8", 5.25" & 3.5". Never 10".

Those were the days of nostalgia, of 286, 386 systems. Put in the floopy and 'close the door'....

Gotten my 1st 486DX 33MHz PC with 170MB HDD, 4MB RAM running off MS DOS 5 and playing AlleyCat. Subsequently it died after 6yrs and the MMX technology came onboard with the introduction of the Slot1 Connectors for Pentium II processors (like 1 big box. I still got it). My Dad got the Pentium 166MHz MMX when the old 486 wheezed and died and it lasted another 6yrs. Wing Commander was 'The Game' that time.

Remembered learning COBOL when I was like... 12? My dad told me to take computer lessons when I was 11. Everyday play computer & do programming until dunno how to study....

BTW, who remembers Cyrix processors?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    10"?! U sure?
    I'd read, studied and used 8", 5.25" & 3.5". Never 10".

Those were the days of nostalgia, of 286, 386 systems. Put in the floopy and 'close the door'....

Gotten my 1st 486DX 33MHz PC with 170MB HDD, 4MB RAM running off MS DOS 5 and playing AlleyCat. Subsequently it died after 6yrs and the MMX technology came onboard with the introduction of the Slot1 Connectors for Pentium II processors (like 1 big box. I still got it). My Dad got the Pentium 166MHz MMX when the old 486 wheezed and died and it lasted another 6yrs. Wing Commander was 'The Game' that time.

Remembered learning COBOL when I was like... 12? My dad told me to take computer lessons when I was 11. Everyday play computer & do programming until dunno how to study....

BTW, who remembers Cyrix processors?

yes remmebered Cyrix processor . ha ha. but didn't use before.....

u learning coding so young huh! when i was kid, i only learnt things like dBASE, WordPerfect, Lotus 123, Print Master, ha ha........

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    10" floppy?

yup yup. was even b4 they shrink the size to the 8" floppy.
    400D | 17-85mm f4.0-5.6 | 50mm f1.8 | 55-200mm f4.5-5.6 | 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 | 430EXII |
    My Pics

Ahhhh..

My 1st PC was the 8088. Think was 4MHz? Can't remember.
    Had two 5 1/4" drive, no HDD.
    Had to put in 1 floppy with DOS to boot up, then another with game.

Hah.. anyway, my journey was: 8088 --> 486 --> Athlon 500MHz --> AXP 1800+. And the last 1 is still surviving now...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post

u learning coding so young huh! when i was kid, i only learnt things like dBASE, WordPerfect, Lotus 123, Print Master, ha ha........
    Cyrix kinda die off the consumer market after 486 era, AMD was almost killed of as well by intel.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post

I juz had a change of computer teachers that time. I still remembered the guy's name, Johnson. Quite a nice guy and paitent (considering how bad I was with the number conversions from Dec to Bin to Octal to Hexa).

Started off at Integrated Computer School. Anyone learnt computer there?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Cyrix kinda die off the consumer market after 486 era, AMD was almost killed of as well by intel.
    MMX almost killed AMD there and then and wiped Cyrix out from the map completely.

AMD returned fire with their K6 and K7 chips and they somehow slowed down a little. But they really picked up speed when the MHz Myth came and AMD went all ahead with the numbers game against Intel.

I'm not sure if u guys heard of it before, but it was once said that AMD & Cyrix processors MHz rating and Intels are slightly different. Even though all 3 can be marked at 66MHz, AMD & Cyrix are at least 40% faster than the marked speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    MMX almost killed AMD there and then and wiped Cyrix out from the map completely.

AMD returned fire with their K6 and K7 chips and they somehow slowed down a little. But they really picked up speed when the MHz Myth came and AMD went all ahead with the numbers game against Intel.

I'm not sure if u guys heard of it before, but it was once said that AMD & Cyrix processors MHz rating and Intels are slightly different. Even though all 3 can be marked at 66MHz, AMD & Cyrix are at least 40% faster than the marked speed.
    never heard of that b4... but i know they like to use SX, DX simi X tat time... simi also X...

last time nearly cried when i was doing installation of office via disk installation...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

last time RAM is made of criscrossing wires and a coil magnet at each junction. and the hard disk must be spun up in sequence otherwise your power supply will blow.

on the other hand we only boot the computer like once in years.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    last time RAM is made of criscrossing wires and a coil magnet at each junction. and the hard disk must be spun up in sequence otherwise your power supply will blow.

tat 1 sound really damn old... how old are u?

sinclair ZX80 anyone? uses tape recorder as 'floppy' input and your television as a monitor.. meaning i had a 15" monitor back in the 80s!!!!!
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

i also boot once in years. ha ha. i let my mac notebook sleep ..zzzzz
    (only reboot when there is patch updates)

haha..like compare how old we are...i was in the disk drive industry with micropolis in 1988, the high end drive we have at that time as industry leader ..... 20MB.

Wah, old timer Lau qian bei
    that must be the core memory you are talking about. From the 60s ? The term "core dump" still surviving today.
    The hard disk, is it those huge removable disk paks that they put in housings as big as your washing machines ?
    Yep, we don't ever reboot the big iron either.

i remember that time.. everyone will go "WAH! Very rich lei!! 20MB leh!!!!" but times are different, people type in plain text files which didn't exceed 20kb at max and graphic files were a luxury (restricted mainly to ascii art) if your system can display CGA colours.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

I can vaguely recall the spinning magnetic disks in the 80s. But dat time can't afford a computer (PCs are damn ex that time) so basically see magazines that my dad brought home.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast