Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Magnetic Fields

  1. #21

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Thot lead only protect against radiation ? To shield from EMI, you need a grounded metal casing to surround the whole cabi
    aiyah, more the merrier. also can.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    So if i hold a memory card and run on a rubber carpet, changes that the memory card get killed is higher? static charge build up?
    Dont need to run on carpet, u just use a plastic comb to comb yr hair back and forth u will build up static charge already, then u hold all these static charge and point yr finger to someone nearby and surely u will "zap" him/her...

  3. #23

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Thot lead only protect against radiation ? To shield from EMI, you need a grounded metal casing to surround the whole cabi
    Not a bad idea to ground the dry cabi but not the lead wallings. The camera might survive the radiation but not the photographer.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Dont need to run on carpet, u just use a plastic comb to comb yr hair back and forth u will build up static charge already, then u hold all these static charge and point yr finger to someone nearby and surely u will "zap" him/her...
    Your MUA do tis to you often?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    Your MUA do tis to you often?
    No, as someone mentioned, we wrap ourselves in ESD bag, no static charge buildup...

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Dont need to run on carpet, u just use a plastic comb to comb yr hair back and forth u will build up static charge already, then u hold all these static charge and point yr finger to someone nearby and surely u will "zap" him/her...
    Only in air-cond room or low humidity environment I guess. BTW, Dry cab is low humidity inside .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Selangor D.E.
    Posts
    1,625

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Yikes!!! will static really kill a digi cam?? Was walking with my dotter the other day, somehow either it's her or me that built up a static charge...when we accidentally bumped into each other ZZZaaappp!!! So if it had been the camera between us, then will the cam get fried??

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U View Post
    Yikes!!! will static really kill a digi cam?? Was walking with my dotter the other day, somehow either it's her or me that built up a static charge...when we accidentally bumped into each other ZZZaaappp!!! So if it had been the camera between us, then will the cam get fried??
    While it can happen, it will not that easy. If that easy, you can imagine how lucky the electronic manufacturer like handphone, pda, notebook, camera, etc. Their service centre also easily blame it to static.

    IIRC, the electronics must passed the EMI/RFI (and static?) standard before enter market.

    I remember last time when I involved in designing windowsCE machine (something like PDA), our prototype sometimes hang when someone touch the USB connector. Finally we found it because static charge on USB connector screw up the data. It will not happen on final product when all the components/protectors are there.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Selangor D.E.
    Posts
    1,625

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    That's assuring. thanks.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    While it can happen, it will not that easy. If that easy, you can imagine how lucky the electronic manufacturer like handphone, pda, notebook, camera, etc. Their service centre also easily blame it to static.

    IIRC, the electronics must passed the EMI/RFI (and static?) standard before enter market.

    I remember last time when I involved in designing windowsCE machine (something like PDA), our prototype sometimes hang when someone touch the USB connector. Finally we found it because static charge on USB connector screw up the data. It will not happen on final product when all the components/protectors are there.

    Regards,
    Arto.
    That's ESD. All electronics should pass this test before it can go out in the market.

  11. #31

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by lekir68 View Post
    Will magnetic field from speakers or tv do any harm to the DSLR camera and memory card?
    Not unless it's a microdrive. Although it should be adquately shielded, you should still take some precautions. Solid state devices should not be a problem.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    That's ESD. All electronics should pass this test before it can go out in the market.
    Thanks! I forgot the name of it. ESD...., heh...., to long never touch electronics .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Artosoft View Post
    Thanks! I forgot the name of it. ESD...., heh...., to long never touch electronics .

    Regards,
    Arto.
    Hehehe.. I'm still in it so I need to know but don't need to know the details because my field is RF.. :P Usually it will cause latch up in microprocessors so the devices will hang if the ESD fail.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Hehehe.. I'm still in it so I need to know but don't need to know the details because my field is RF.. :P Usually it will cause latch up in microprocessors so the devices will hang if the ESD fail.
    ESD/RF/EMI or MI does not trigger latchups in uProcessors. New fabrication methods and proper usage of uPs has reduced occurance of latchups significantly. ESD will kill the uP right away, very unlikely to just cause a latchup. Latchups are usually due to poor semicon design.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu-By-U
    That's assuring. thanks.
    There are many mis-information all over the thread. EMPs and "most speakers are shielded" just read everything with a bowl of salt.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 27th November 2006 at 10:28 AM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  15. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    There are many mis-information all over the thread. EMPs and "most speakers are shielded" just read everything with a bowl of salt.
    So tell us the truth .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    It doesn't take an EMP to destroy data in a memory card using EM waves or magnetic waves.

    Most PC speakers are shielded but the majority of other speakers out there aren't. PC speakers make up only a small fraction of the market. Furthermore, with the increase use of LCD and plasma screens whose images are not affected by magnetic fields, manufacturers are removing shields in an effort to save costs.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  17. #37

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    ESD/RF/EMI or MI does not trigger latchups in uProcessors. New fabrication methods and proper usage of uPs has reduced occurance of latchups significantly. ESD will kill the uP right away, very unlikely to just cause a latchup. Latchups are usually due to poor semicon design.

    There are many mis-information all over the thread. EMPs and "most speakers are shielded" just read everything with a bowl of salt.
    Yes.. I have seen devices 'fry' with ESD too. But usually if that happens, it won't even be in any products yet. As for "most speakers are shielded", I think whoever made that remark better check again.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 27th November 2006 at 02:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •