Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Magnetic Fields

  1. #1

    Default Magnetic Fields

    Will magnetic field from speakers or tv do any harm to the DSLR camera and memory card?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by lekir68 View Post
    Will magnetic field from speakers or tv do any harm to the DSLR camera and memory card?
    yes... they'll wipe out your data, cause banding in your sensor and worse, create sparks in the electronics...

    thats if, there is a very strong magnetic wave leaking from the tv set... but before that, i guess the tv would burst into flames 1st...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    They are all shielded these days...

    I dun think you can find those unshielded ones easily these days
    Last edited by zac08; 22nd November 2006 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by lekir68 View Post
    Will magnetic field from speakers or tv do any harm to the DSLR camera and memory card?
    memory cards and MD will be affected if the magnetic field is strong. Apart from that static charges can also kill yr cards and MD. I have small ESD shield bags for my cards.

    Better be safe than sorry.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Wot about those airport x-ray scanners ? Save for memory cards, right ?
    Actually, I always put inside my pocket, just in case.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Wot about those airport x-ray scanners ? Save for memory cards, right ?
    Actually, I always put inside my pocket, just in case.
    so far so good... only notice after xray seem abit over expose on my pc than on the p2000, (ya i blame customs for my crappy photo... cannot issit?)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    so far so good... only notice after xray seem abit over expose on my pc than on the p2000, (ya i blame customs for my crappy photo... cannot issit?)
    Wah, wu ngiah boh ?
    The scanner so clever ah, can manipulate jpeg/raw (can tell difference between brands some more).

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    memory cards and MD will be affected if the magnetic field is strong. Apart from that static charges can also kill yr cards and MD. I have small ESD shield bags for my cards.

    Better be safe than sorry.
    IIRC, Solid State Memory Card will not affected by magnetic field. MD or Micro Drive (in form of CF card), which is actually small version of hardisk is affected by magnetic field since they record and read data/memory on magnetic surface disk.

    Static charges can kill Solid State Memory Card and MD. Solid State Memory Card may have higher chance to damaged by static charges/electricity.

    You can also killed by static charges. Powerful static charge I mean ==> thunderbolt.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    Wot about those airport x-ray scanners ? Save for memory cards, right ?
    Actually, I always put inside my pocket, just in case.
    Depend on how powerful is the X-ray, it can affect your film (used or new one). But it is safe for memory cards, solid state or MD.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    So if i hold a memory card and run on a rubber carpet, changes that the memory card get killed is higher? static charge build up?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Gentlemen, better to go back to old trusty manual film camera, no meter, mechanical shutter ... those bugger last forever
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  12. #12

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    But light causes more damage to my films than magnetic does to my Flash cards.

    .

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Theoretically, DSLRs and memory cards are made of electronic circuit, which is actually electrons, which is affected by magnetic fields, but you would need a very powerful magnetic force to affect the tiny electrons, example the powerful magnetic force created by a nuclear bomb.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Flash cards and films below ASA 800 are safe with airport X-ray scanners.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Thanks for all the info. I will shift my dry cabi to safer place. Better be safe.
    So far nothing has happen.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by lekir68 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I will shift my dry cabi to safer place. Better be safe.
    So far nothing has happen.
    if you find it a fuss to shift the cabi, you can always buy a few lead wallings to protect your cabi.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Theoretically, DSLRs and memory cards are made of electronic circuit, which is actually electrons, which is affected by magnetic fields, but you would need a very powerful magnetic force to affect the tiny electrons, example the powerful magnetic force created by a nuclear bomb.
    Nuclear bomb . Not only electrons affected by nuclear bomb. Me too .

    Regards,
    Arto.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Tanjong Katong
    Posts
    3,710

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    Gentlemen, better to go back to old trusty manual film camera, no meter, mechanical shutter ... those bugger last forever
    Agree with you.

    But, until they developt self processing film (like those polaroid camera), I think convenient is still on digital camera.

    Regards,
    Arto.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    So if i hold a memory card and run on a rubber carpet, changes that the memory card get killed is higher? static charge build up?
    You can always try it out yourself. The charge up may not kill it but the moment it DISCHARES

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Nee Soon
    Posts
    457

    Default Re: Magnetic Fields

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    if you find it a fuss to shift the cabi, you can always buy a few lead wallings to protect your cabi.
    Thot lead only protect against radiation ? To shield from EMI, you need a grounded metal casing to surround the whole cabi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •