Thread: pelican new recoil LED torch bright?

Default pelican new recoil LED torch bright?

hi,

am thinking of getting a good torch and saw the pelican recoil LED model. find it interesting as

: uses LED, 4 AA batteries can last 32 hours
    : UW to 500 feet
    : 32 lumens.

this model 2410 seems to be brighter ( by lumens comparison ) than xeon blub of similar class and battery lasts longer...also like the yellow color actually

did think about surefires but find that i dont need 60 lumens and fiond 1 hour for 2 cr123 too short ( practical reasons)

thanks

Default Re: pelican new recoil LED torch bright?

its an ok light but there's lots of competition.

wad kind of beam profile u looking 4?
    size, weight?
    batt life?

my personal favs r (not in ranking order)
    1) Inova X5
    2) Streamlight 4AA LED (7 bulb)
    3) Pelican M6 LED 2390

check here http://www.flashlightreviews.com/ for info on diff brands/models.

I'm totally happy with my Fenix L2T... amazingly bright and on 2xAA rechargeable batteries

Sore-Eyexz,

Don;t mind I ask a question since you seem knowledgeable in torchlights.

Most manufacturers spec their lights/bulbs at lumen.

How do I know what that means in real life, practical applications? Like how do I know a torch is bright enough for say, camping or outdoor night activities? How do i translate lumen to how far I can see an object clearly at what distance?

Sorry for the many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    its an ok light but there's lots of competition.

wad kind of beam profile u looking 4?
    size, weight?
    batt life?

my personal favs r (not in ranking order)
    1) Inova X5
    2) Streamlight 4AA LED (7 bulb)
    3) Pelican M6 LED 2390

check here http://www.flashlightreviews.com/ for info on diff brands/models.
    actually i am starting to like torch lights....wan to get nice ones ( like surefire) but find the burning hours too short.

seriously i have no answer to you qn cos i dunno even how to start

but i would like one that has a good throw and light enough to bring around. the 2410 recoil model is the biggest i will go.

how much is a pelican m6? i kinda like the industrial look of their torch

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau View Post
    Sore-Eyexz,

Don;t mind I ask a question since you seem knowledgeable in torchlights.

Most manufacturers spec their lights/bulbs at lumen.

How do I know what that means in real life, practical applications? Like how do I know a torch is bright enough for say, camping or outdoor night activities? How do i translate lumen to how far I can see an object clearly at what distance?

Sorry for the many questions.
    i think diff manufacturers derive its lumen value differently. a torch w/ a spot only beam can hav d same lumen value as another w/ a flood beam.

a torch w/ (eg) 40 lumens would seem brighter in a room w/ white walls den outdoors in foresty area w/ overhanging branches.

my M6 2390 LED effective distance is abt 20m+ in slightly foggy condition (tested in camp) at nite w/ no moon. it cant illuminate anything beyond 30m, all u c is d light trail tailing off. i tested w/ fresh batts of course.

in a tent, a torch w/ 15 lumens flood beam is sufficient, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    actually i am starting to like torch lights....wan to get nice ones ( like surefire) but find the burning hours too short.

seriously i have no answer to you qn cos i dunno even how to start

but i would like one that has a good throw and light enough to bring around. the 2410 recoil model is the biggest i will go.

how much is a pelican m6? i kinda like the industrial look of their torch
    jus den get hooked on it like me.

mayb u can go 4 Inova T2. review claims batts can last abt 5hrs+/-. unique tubular design.

depends on where u buy, got a shop at Beach Rd blk ?, jus beside d "army" market sells a comprehensive range of Pelican flashlights.

price of Pelican M6? Pelican got M6 2320 (incand), M6 2330 (1watt LED), M6 2390 (3watt LED). if i din spend so much i would hav considered d Pelican M1. price abt $120 - $200+.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 22nd November 2006 at 04:41 PM.

bought my first surefire....6p. got it from sheares....seem like m6 have got more accessories to play w. including a LED bulb assembly...tested it...quite bright but the head alone costs 136! (or 146?? cant remember exact price liao)

Sore-eyez, Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply and exp;lain to a torchlight newbie like me.

Man, I hope I don;t get caught up too - I recall a student who had this super duper bright LED torch which could do flood, concentrated spot and pulse etc etc etc and the light was BVLINDING in a fully lit, bright multi-purpose room! That small thing costed more than $400!

I think I'll just go for one of the 2 AA cell Pelicans that dive and sports shops sell for $20+

Quote Originally Posted by Feinwerkbau View Post
    Sore-eyez, Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply and exp;lain to a torchlight newbie like me.

Man, I hope I don;t get caught up too - I recall a student who had this super duper bright LED torch which could do flood, concentrated spot and pulse etc etc etc and the light was BVLINDING in a fully lit, bright multi-purpose room! That small thing costed more than $400!

I think I'll just go for one of the 2 AA cell Pelicans that dive and sports shops sell for $20+
    no prob bro. hope u r happy w/ ur purchase. flashlights r like cams, personal preferance is a major factor in determining wads gd.

Dormant

Why not get the new Fenix P1D-CE, using the new Cree XRE led. It's a new breakthrough in LED technology, even brighter than the luxeon led. Max brightness 135 lumens.

It's sold out the moment it was launch. Probably have to wait till Jan to get it. Price ~US$70 from Fenix store.

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    i think diff manufacturers derive its lumen value differently. a torch w/ a spot only beam can hav d same lumen value as another w/ a flood beam.

a torch w/ (eg) 40 lumens would seem brighter in a room w/ white walls den outdoors in foresty area w/ overhanging branches.

my M6 2390 LED effective distance is abt 20m+ in slightly foggy condition (tested in camp) at nite w/ no moon. it cant illuminate anything beyond 30m, all u c is d light trail tailing off. i tested w/ fresh batts of course.

in a tent, a torch w/ 15 lumens flood beam is sufficient, IMO.
    lumens and MCD are standard units of measure. However, the value is affected by the beam width. The narrower the beam width, the higher the lumen value. The wider the width, the lower the value.

from http://www.gizmology.net/LEDs.htm
    By way of comparison, a typical 100 watt incandescent bulb puts out around 1700 lumen - if that light is radiated equally in all directions, it will have a brightness of around 135,000 mcd. Focused into a 20° beam, it will have a brightness of around 18,000,000 mcd.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by flame2000 View Post
    Why not get the new Fenix P1D-CE, using the new Cree XRE led. It's a new breakthrough in LED technology, even brighter than the luxeon led. Max brightness 135 lumens.

It's sold out the moment it was launch. Probably have to wait till Jan to get it. Price ~US$70 from Fenix store.
    where to get fenix in singapore?

which 3 watt LED torch ( small) is worth getting?

thanks

where to get fenix in singapore?

which 3 watt LED torch ( small) is worth getting?

thanks
    fenix L2T...PM CatEYE
    eat. drink. shoot

bought my first surefire....6p. got it from sheares....seem like m6 have got more accessories to play w. including a LED bulb assembly...tested it...quite bright but the head alone costs 136! (or 146?? cant remember exact price liao)
    pelican M6 or surefire M6?
    eat. drink. shoot

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    fenix L2T...PM CatEYE
    Second that!

Quote Originally Posted by +evenstar View Post
    pelican M6 or surefire M6?
    its 6p. not M6. pelican M6 suppose to be direct competitor of 6P. about same output and price. but 6p got more accessories to play w .

thinking of getting a L4 too....anyone know how much it costs or own one? is it good?
    thanks

its 6p. not M6. pelican M6 suppose to be direct competitor of 6P. about same output and price. but 6p got more accessories to play w .
    you said M6 without stating brand above...tt's why i asked..
    eat. drink. shoot