Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: hdr with a single RAW file demo

  1. #1

    Default hdr with a single RAW file demo

    hi,

    I just want to demo that you are able to use the HDR function with a single raw file by saving it into a JPEG without any exif (using silkypix)

    -3 ev


    -1ev


    +1ev


    unedited HDR merge then local adaptation to 16bit tif



    Final output
    undited tif with levels to bring up contrast



    So does the picture look natural? The sky was a bit problematic as the color was a bit weird after the merge. I think some of the overexposed shots screwed up the color on the right hand side of the sky....
    Last edited by wind30; 21st November 2006 at 10:36 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    I suppose it's because the clouds moved, altering the colour signature.

  3. #3

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    silkypix?
    care 2 share more on that prog too?

  4. #4
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    if dun go into details its still looks ok...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    The sky part looks a bit unnatural because it's unusual to have perfectly blue skies when there are big clouds around. For clouds to form, there has to be moisture in the air which scatters light. I think it will be okay if the tone of the blue is tuned down a bit.

  6. #6

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    Quote Originally Posted by ilurbu View Post
    I suppose it's because the clouds moved, altering the colour signature.
    no. It is a single RAW file, one exposure. all the clouds are perfectly aligned. I am sure the painter would have moved more than the clouds

  7. #7

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    Quote Originally Posted by Prismatic View Post
    The sky part looks a bit unnatural because it's unusual to have perfectly blue skies when there are big clouds around. For clouds to form, there has to be moisture in the air which scatters light. I think it will be okay if the tone of the blue is tuned down a bit.
    you are right. I think the sky is too distracting. how about this

    1
    Last edited by wind30; 22nd November 2006 at 07:04 AM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    so ka... yeah looking back I was wondering why the painter's hand in perfect stillness.

  9. #9

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    hmm... this method is ok, at the expense of more noise compared to the traditional method. However, it seems like its the only HDR method to shoot moving objects.

  10. #10

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    no. It is a single RAW file, one exposure. all the clouds are perfectly aligned. I am sure the painter would have moved more than the clouds
    Thanks.

    The final picture is definitely very much better than any of those taken with different exposure in a high dynamic range scene.

    I previously even had problems doing a HDR with 3 or 4 pictures as the grass and flowers didn't match perfectly when they swayed a little with gentle wind.

    Next time, I will try doing HDR by just shooting a single RAW file when there are moving subjects.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    I did a try sometimes ago and I love it...I also think it makes sense becoz bracketing will give you shaky image at times Also doing 1 raw will definately reduce my shuttle count over the 3 jpgs

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    Just my opinion, doing this is like lying to yourself (even if you can lie to the computer by removing the EXIF)....if a single raw with diff exposure can get the details out (in different DR), then it means all the available details are there, which in turn means the sensor is good enough to capture all the details, so the DR is not outside the range of the sensor.

    For a pic like this, a simple Dodge and Burn will get what you want out of the pic, so, its not really HDR..... I think HDR is for a time when a single shot cannot capture all the DR in one single shot, which mean by Dodge and Burn, you cannot retrieve the details.....this is my opinion... What do you think?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Selangor D.E.
    Posts
    1,625

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    Which HDR program were you using? Notice the Photomatix have a slight problem when joining more than 3 pictures. It tends to have "purple fringing" It does not happen when it only 3 pictures.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    I tried the single RAW file HDR tone blending before and it doesnt really work for me. Even with the latest beta version of Photomatix, I can't stand the noise generated especially in the shadows area. I dont really fancy using noise removal program so shooting in brackets works for me a lot. BTW, not all images needs go through a HDR process e.g. for your shot above. A simple Highlights/Shadows enhancements would do the trick or you can use a ND grad filter next time. Sometimes, mucking around with HDR gets really boring when the lighting is terrible. HDR works best when there's good lights. Hope that helps.

    Oh btw, if you dont mind, here's what i did with your image:
    1. Before (the -1ev)



    And after processing, Curves + Dodging + Burning + slight USM.
    Last edited by hazmee; 23rd November 2006 at 10:48 AM.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    Hi Hazmee, U have demonstrated what I meant earlier....all the data are there in the single RAW, dun need to do HDR.....

    Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    I tried the single RAW file HDR tone blending before and it doesnt really work for me. Even with the latest beta version of Photomatix, I can't stand the noise generated especially in the shadows area. I dont really fancy using noise removal program so shooting in brackets works for me a lot. BTW, not all images needs go through a HDR process e.g. for your shot above. A simple Highlights/Shadows enhancements would do the trick or you can use a ND grad filter next time. Sometimes, mucking around with HDR gets really boring when the lighting is terrible. HDR works best when there's good lights. Hope that helps.

    Oh btw, if you dont mind, here's what i did with your image:
    1. Before (the -1ev)



    And after processing, Curves + Dodging + Burning + slight USM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    how the raw picture looks like.. i mean the picture u took with 'correct exposure'?

    so we got idea how the photo should look in a 'correct exposure' at that condition..

    actually i also find HDR = curve + dodge + burn.. but i usually do it by using different layer and layer mask..

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,131

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    This is really cool! Thanks!

  18. #18

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    Ok, I agree that you can accomplish the same effect by developing into a 16 bit tif and then dodge and burn. But this is tough as it requires manual masking and takes time. The adobe CS2 HDR function with local adaptation allows you to accomplish all the masking automatically with less effort and time. The transitions MAY be better than dodge and burn too.

    Perhaps it is not TRUE HDR as I don't think the s3pro capture enough range for 32 bits But there is quite a LOT of information in the 25meg raw file...

    One thing to note is on conventional DSLR, there isn't that much information in the raw file to begin with and you cannot develop -3eV without some serious banding at the highlights.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    I think ya statement is not true leh....HDRi means an image with very High Dynamic Range, which is beyond what your cam's sensor can capture, so you need to have multiple shots to cover the range then merged into one.....so HDR must have at least 2 pics to combine. One pic with curve + dodge + burn is not HDR.....

    Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    actually i also find HDR = curve + dodge + burn..

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Where the wind blows...
    Posts
    4,528

    Default Re: hdr with a single RAW file demo

    Most of the time +/- 2eV should be good enough for HDR.....but this is the limitation, no choice...

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    One thing to note is on conventional DSLR, there isn't that much information in the raw file to begin with and you cannot develop -3eV without some serious banding at the highlights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •