Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Uniquely Singaporean!

Default Re: Uniquely Singaporean!

One thing I can't stand is those youngsters (youngsters are the main culprits, although I've seen some not so young ones) just sit down on the MRT floor with legs stretched out, in a group some more, during rush peak hours, depriving people of standing space.
    Sometimes I feel like I want to "accidentally" step on them.

Quote Originally Posted by arpinkor View Post
    One thing I can't stand is those youngsters (youngsters are the main culprits, although I've seen some not so young ones) just sit down on the MRT floor with legs stretched out, in a group some more, during rush peak hours, depriving people of standing space.
    once u start, u just can't stop... u ask a few colleagues to join u... boost your courage...

/me continue psycho arpinkor to STEP IT, STEP IT...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

A lot of people criticising those Shenton Way lunchtime people choping seats with tissue paper, umbrella, sanitary napkin, handkerchief, wallet, handphone, etc.
    Tissue paper? That sounds lovely for guys who forget tissues.
    Umbrella? Great for the raining day.
    Sanitary Napkins? For u guys with girlfriends or wives and maybe that very pretty OL in ur office who looks like she's in a very foul mood today seeing red.
    Handkerchief? The auntie cleaning the table needs a new cloth
    Wallet? Lets see how much's left.
    Handphone? *checks my handphone* I need a new phone.

Have you thought about what YOU would do in their situation ? I don't work there but I had to spend a couple of weeks on course there. Lunchtime hours are regulated strictly by some companies (cannot go early come back late), long queues at the foodstalls (have to compete with those takeaway customers as well), by the time you get your food then look for table to sit, time's up liao, have to go back office oredi.
    Well, den do a takeaway then.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    LOL...

I think all over the world we do have such incidents... It's just that we happen to encounter it everyday and it felt like it only happen in S'pore...

I was in Thailand for a trip and I went into a jap restuarant with a friend... The waitress brought us to the remaining table... We were halfway through our meal when a couple walked over and sat at our table coz there are no other table liao... It was a real uncomfortable experience, eating with strangers staring at every spoonful of food you put into your mouth...
    I was at MOS burger a few years ago, all tables were occupied, and the whole restaurant was full, I was alone, and there was this table (for 4 persons) occupied by a girl who was waiting for another person. I asked her politely if I could join her table, then she said 'NO!', I joined another table next to her, and after her friend arrived with their food, I realised that they the only needed 2 seats.......

People here tend to think that they have the 'right' to occupy whole tables whereas these table are designed for more persons.... just no logic, and no compassion
    Those were young people......sad......

Hong Sien

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    I was at MOS burger a few years ago, all tables were occupied, and the whole restaurant was full, I was alone, and there was this table (for 4 persons) occupied by a girl who was waiting for another person. I asked her politely if I could join her table, then she said 'NO!', I joined another table next to her, and after her friend arrived with their food, I realised that they the only needed 2 seats.......

People here tend to think that they have the 'right' to occupy whole tables whereas these table are designed for more persons.... just no logic, and no compassion

Hong Sien
    tat girl got big butt like jennifer lopez? oooh i love it...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

There was one incident at Buona Vista station, where a group of youngsters were sitting on the floor blocking the entrance to the overhead bridge!!!

HS

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    once u start, u just can't stop... u ask a few colleagues to join u... boost your courage...

/me continue psycho arpinkor to STEP IT, STEP IT...
    Maybe I "accidentally" give a kick to the b@lls, then say, oops, sorry ah, didn't see you leh, paiseh ah Then quickly rush out the door.

There was one incident at Buona Vista station, where a group of youngsters were sitting on the floor blocking the entrance to the overhead bridge!!!

HS
    Stradle over them, and to add a great smell to the insult, give a loud fart as u're straddling over them.

*PIAK~~~~~*

And see it vibrate~~~~~

Got this thing for stuff that wobbles.

Don't just see big butt, then chiong, see whether got big waist, big shoulder also first.
    If water barrel figure, let you go first lah, I insist.

Hong Sien

Got same experience twice one of them at a food court went over to a lady n her friend sitting at a table for 4, they were only drinking and chatting, ask her is anyone occupying the seat, guess wat she say? Can u go and find aonther place?
    I was thinking if i can find another then will not need to ask u in the first place n need to be so secretive then go home and talk lah... stay here n talk n occupying the space! N I m not the one looking for places to seat after dat foound a place n sit a few other ppl were also being chase away!

Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    We're a first world country with first class citizens who thinks everyone else is 3rd world
    What I wrote struck a nerve did it?
    Do you condone the bad habits mentioned or are you yourself guilty of them?
    Last edited by Tetrode; 22nd November 2006 at 04:30 PM.

the "reserving" of tables with packet of tissue papers is only unique in Shenton way/Raffles place area. Its a "unique culture" of that area. I only know abt it when I start working in that area 2yrs back. very interesting and strange. lolz.

but as the saying goes...when in Rome, do as the Romans. guess its true lah. hahaha. cos now I oso do that...but only in those areas. at other place, just automatically won't do it. strange hor?

Quote Originally Posted by JaPhotos View Post
    the "reserving" of tables with packet of tissue papers is only unique in Shenton way/Raffles place area. Its a "unique culture" of that area. I only know abt it when I start working in that area 2yrs back. very interesting and strange. lolz.

but as the saying goes...when in Rome, do as the Romans. guess its true lah. hahaha. cos now I oso do that...but only in those areas. at other place, just automatically won't do it. strange hor?
    Well, I don't think it is unique only in Shenton Way/Rafflesplace area.

I see them in food courts everywhere. Once I got so fed up, I just took up the table that was being 'reserved' by a new pack of tissues, and started using it. A couple came back and asked me what the hell I was doing, I told them that I thought it was a service provided by the foodcourt, giving out free tissues as gifts!

For me, I won't do the same, it is just not right!

Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by lovells19 View Post
    We're a first world country with first class citizens who thinks everyone else is 3rd world
    Heard somewhere (cant remember):" We're a first world country with first class citizens being paid third world wages!"

Another of Uniquely Singaporean Quote:

" Singaporeans can afford to die but cant afford to fall sick."

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Heard somewhere (cant remember):" We're a first world country with first class citizens being paid third world wages!"
    Last time, maybe, now no more. Last time, we compete with Ang Moh, we win wat, now we compete with India, China, Vietnam, sure lose lah

I find those ppls who "chop" seats with their tissues are brainless! Totally no brain at all! How can a packet of tissue paper "chop" a seat when theres no even simple form of indication that the tissue papers are theirs?

And its even common in Shenton Way somemore!

So Shenton Way actually houses majority of such brainless freaks? Brainless freaks working in CBD area! Haha... what a joke!

Hmmm interesting reaction altho the same act is often duplicated in the fast food restaurants here. Often in the MacDonalds/ or the rare food courts in JP, I would see packets of tissue around indicating that it is taken. The people respect that and either wait or look elsewhere. Sure beats leaving your handbag there and getting it stolen. Reserving the table with packets of tissue is a logical idea, you get the table first, then you get your food. Nothing wrong.

Seems the only thing wrong here is the phobia about sharing extra seats/places with strangers.

Personally got played out once by a family. I got my table after a long wait and a family asked if they could share, being alone and at a big table, sure no problem. After I got my food, there was no seats left for me, the family became family+ friends + maids. WTF, I asked them for a reason, and the husband had the nerve to tell me to scoot off somewhere and not disturb them. Being nice does not pay, especially so in SG.
    Last edited by TMC; 25th November 2006 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    Well, I don't think it is unique only in Shenton Way/Rafflesplace area.

I see them in food courts everywhere. Once I got so fed up, I just took up the table that was being 'reserved' by a new pack of tissues, and started using it. A couple came back and asked me what the hell I was doing, I told them that I thought it was a service provided by the foodcourt, giving out free tissues as gifts!

For me, I won't do the same, it is just not right!

Kenny
    I noticed that this annoying way of reserving seats are commonly used by ladies......

My gang of lunch colleagues(mostly guys) also hate such behaviour, including me. Sometimes, they would help themselves to the "free" tissue.

I find that using items to “reserve” seats is relatively obnoxious. It’s like telling others that I own this area when I'm not around and you "got to" give way to me.

This behavior has got to stop. Kenny did a good job by demonstrating publicly that reserving seats this way don't always work.

Way to go Kenny

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234