Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise on Lens for D80

Default Re: Advise on Lens for D80

IMO, since this is ur first DSLR, its good to maximise the use of the given kitlens to learn as much as you can.

no point thinking of all the great lenses out there and forgo the theories.

Equipment is 30%. Knowledge and theory is 30% and talent is 40%

u have equipment and talent u pass. but hw much talent you have is one thing.

so.. play safe. Have good knowledge on the theories. have equipment and some talent. and u passed at least.

Quote Originally Posted by kzone View Post
    Let's say I get just the D80 body. With the money I saved vs getting a kit lens, are there better lens out there? especially those with bigger aperture? I dont mind sacrifising on the tele aspect
    Let's just put it this way... how much are you saving from that?? $300, 500??

the quality lenses are way above that price range, those trinity lenses which westwest1 was trying to push to you are at $2500 or so... So those would be much later when you're more sure of your interest and ability to use the equipment well.

But if you dun mind 3rd party lenses, there should be some from Tamron or Tokina which would be about 500 - 600 range. Do check them out if you're really limited in budget.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Tokina is good. in terms of bulit and optical quality.

Blog Entries

tokina 12-24 F4

or the upcoming tokina 16-50mm F2.8

Thanks guys. Valuable advise fm everyone... I guess I'm overly concerned on the aperture size of the lenses since I like to take photos without flashes (maybe cos I dunno how to use them) & this is usually the contraint when I'm shooting with the Nikon 8400

Most likely I'll stick to the kit lens & maybe get a prime AF 28mm f/2.8D or 35mm f/2D for low light shots...

Is there alot of difference between a 2.8f lens & a 3.5f one? Any pics anywhere I can see to see the diff between pics taken at 2.8f & 3.5f with other settings being constant?
    Last edited by kzone; 22nd November 2006 at 11:41 AM.

Blog Entries

D80 has got really good noise control at hi ISO speeds you know

Thanks guys. Valuable advise fm everyone... I guess I'm overly concerned on the aperture size of the lenses since I like to take photos without flashes (maybe cos I dunno how to use them) & this is usually the contraint when I'm shooting with the Nikon 8400

Most likely I'll stick to the kit lens & maybe get a prime AF 28mm f/2.8D or 35mm f/2D for low light shots...

Is there alot of difference between a 2.8f lens & a 3.5f one? Any pics anywhere I can see to see the diff between pics taken at 2.8f & 3.5f with other settings being constant?
    At f2.8, more light would be able to enter and reach the sensor. You also get a much brighter picture from the VF.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

yes i think you are overly concerned about apertures sizes on lenses.why dun u just use the kit lens first, use it, and then u can decide how big aperture ur next lens u need? for all u know, u might not even find the need for F2.8 lens?
    Photo Album - Photo Album

Since you don't like to use flash, and like to take landscape and can't afford the higher end lenses, let me introduce to you a great buddy.......

A good sturdy tripod

If you can fork out an extra 200-400, a good tripod is an useful addition to help you take sharp photos at any time of the day or night, indoor or outdoor, even with the kit lens.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

I tink u worry too much already..

Maybe u should borrow a D80 with kit lens and try it (Rent, beg, borrow, steal?)?
    I tink it should be able to satisfy daylight shoots needs. Indoor shots without flash.. Just slightly challenging??

Maybe tt will help u make a better decision.

Deregistered

Actually I'm hoping that the price of D80 will have a similar drop.. Will only get the cam in Jan/Feb so still got time to wait...

Yeah, these wud be really good but too ex ah. will prob reach 8K for these. Hmmm... good things are never cheap... sigh...
    thats life...cheap things are nv good...

Kit lens and a cheap 50mm f1.8 to learn more about the various aperature . Cheap stuff is always good !!!
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    Who says cheap stuff are never good ...
    Every Photo Speaks for its Photographer. 开心就好。
    I wanna be the no.1 GWC !!!

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    Well... it all depends... Some may not be good. But some are really good for their price. (i.e. the nikkor 50mm f1.8)
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I personally own the D80 kit lens, and i find it very good. To own the trinity lens, of cos is a dream, i think many of my frens dreamt of every night. but as a student myself, i cant see myself affording those. even for my frens that are working, they find it a big pinch in the pocket to buy those.

my feelings is that dont need to chiong those power lens now. as good as they are, i personally think i still dont have the skills to fully utilise them yet, hence will jus be a waste for me.

unless u are willing to spurge tons of money on those, i think the kit lens is generally ok already. perhaps instead of thinking that u dunno how to use flash, so u dont want to use it, why not learn how to use it instead? sometimes, flash can be use to have a better effect on the picture. methods like fill flash are useful indoor and also outdoors to give the picture a even better effect.

have shooting!
    D70s-er Since 2005

very true... thanks.

One question, can the D80 kit lens take nice portraits with shallow dof? How far away do u need to be to get a nice bokeh?

Btw, what does bokeh stands for? I know what its is but just wondering where exactly dat word comes from. Did a search, cant find it.

very true... thanks.

One question, can the D80 kit lens take nice portraits with shallow dof? How far away do u need to be to get a nice bokeh?

Btw, what does bokeh stands for? I know what its is but just wondering where exactly dat word comes from. Did a search, cant find it.
    shallow dof: possibly, but you need to zoom as much as you can, and preferably have a background which is far away. Not great though.

bokeh is japanese for blur, the word refers to the quality of the OOF areas.

(See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh)

Anyone know why the AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 is cheaper than the AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D?

Anyone know why the AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 is cheaper than the AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D?
    the 17-55 is a DX lens. This could be one consideration.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

I see... so DX more economical for 1.5x crop users..

Guys, need ur opinion on which is a better setup :

D80 + Kit lens (18-135mm, f/3.5-5.6 DX) + Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
    or
    D80 + 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G DX VR

Both would add up to abt the same price...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast