Thread: Joe Vs The Waterfall

Default Joe Vs The Waterfall

Hi guys snapped this on a very sunny day on a recent trip to the zoo
    taken at 1/80,f10 with 350D&Kit Lens
    Ps done to crop and darken the highlights a bit

Please do help me improve

Default Re: Joe Vs The Waterfall

Would have looked nicer if you prolonged the exposure to abt 1s to capture the silky effect of the waterfall unless of course, your intention is not to do that.

Also, viewers eyes tend to run all over the picture as there is no main subject. Not very sure which do you want to be your main centre of focus... the waterfall or the monkey at the lower right corner or something else.

My 2 cents

1st thought:
    i'm actually looking for "joe" haha.. oh, its a monkey.
    well.. i too felt that its a bit messy... if u want to put "joe" into the pic, maybe u would like to try to make "joe" a bit bigger.. of course some people would like u to take only the waterfall to make it into the main subject, but then it would be boring.. waterfall pic are taken most of the time lor.
    its really up to u on how u want to "mix" the monkey together with the waterfall.. like to capture th waterfall in the eyeball reflection of the monkey..(wah.. ) or compose to make the monkey bigger in the photo and then the waterfall inhis front view... also nplay ard with dof.
    hmm.. not sure if u know what i mean..
    anyway.. keep shooting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Would have looked nicer if you prolonged the exposure to abt 1s to capture the silky effect of the waterfall unless of course, your intention is not to do that.

Also, viewers eyes tend to run all over the picture as there is no main subject. Not very sure which do you want to be your main centre of focus... the waterfall or the monkey at the lower right corner or something else.will definitely have to practice more..

My 2 cents
    point noted saphat,well i was kinda afraid if i was to shoot at slower shutter speed handshake would cause blurness,looking at the picture i have to agree that from a viewers point of view it is quite messy,a very good lesson i learnt...thank you

Quote Originally Posted by boen View Post
    1st thought:
    i'm actually looking for "joe" haha.. oh, its a monkey.
    well.. i too felt that its a bit messy... if u want to put "joe" into the pic, maybe u would like to try to make "joe" a bit bigger.. of course some people would like u to take only the waterfall to make it into the main subject, but then it would be boring.. waterfall pic are taken most of the time lor.
    its really up to u on how u want to "mix" the monkey together with the waterfall.. like to capture th waterfall in the eyeball reflection of the monkey..(wah.. ) or compose to make the monkey bigger in the photo and then the waterfall inhis front view... also nplay ard with dof.
    hmm.. not sure if u know what i mean..
    anyway.. keep shooting!!!
    looks like you are definitely correct,if i would have taken the shot from behind the monkey focusing on the waterfall..then it would have been a more realistic"Joe Vs The Waterfall"...hmmm....maybe i should start giving thought to how the viewer would relate to the shot rather than how i would relate to the shot and expecting the viewer to see my point of view...these are very beneficial critics to me...thanks

Anything on the exposure,colour balance...?

hey I see a bunch of joe's hiding behind the rocks

hmmm.... the use of slower shutter to get silky water will be a little "dangerous" ! Coz the monkey wouldn't be staying there for seconds totally not moving at all! Good attempt, just that the position of the monkey is too near the corner...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

The monkey very cute, one "ball" there hehe

Quote Originally Posted by attapji View Post
    hey I see a bunch of joe's hiding behind the rocks
    yar lor...wanted to remove them from the pic but still learning CS2 at the momment...maybe when i learn more,i'll clone them off....

Quote Originally Posted by Youhong View Post
    hmmm.... the use of slower shutter to get silky water will be a little "dangerous" ! Coz the monkey wouldn't be staying there for seconds totally not moving at all! Good attempt, just that the position of the monkey is too near the corner...
    that was the problem...the monkey just wouldn't keep still...maybe i will post a pic of a diff. crop...let me see...thanks for the comment

Quote Originally Posted by bladehamster View Post
    The monkey very cute, one "ball" there hehe
    got ball meh....your eye very powerful leh....let me scrutinize further