Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: the LUST for lens

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default the LUST for lens

    I think many *90%* of us here fall into the lust for lens category.Causing sleepless nights of web searching, price comparing, asking people here and there.worrying about the weight, the cost, the quality.......*other endless reasons*, the countless IF type of questions.

    why are we torturing ourselves.


    by the way , anyone selling their Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS or non IS versions?????

  2. #2
    ClubSNAP Idol Adam Goi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    5,682

    Default Re: the LUST for lens

    Originally posted by eadwine
    I think many *90%* of us here fall into the lust for lens category.Causing sleepless nights of web searching, price comparing, asking people here and there.worrying about the weight, the cost, the quality.......*other endless reasons*, the countless IF type of questions.

    why are we torturing ourselves.


    For me, I try to constantly remind myself there's life beyond photography...it's not easy but it works!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default Re: Re: the LUST for lens

    Originally posted by AdamGoi


    For me, I try to constantly remind myself there's life beyond photography...it's not easy but it works!

    adam, its realllly reallllllly not going to be easy.
    RESIST TEMPTATION bery hard

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Well, there is always another way of doing it.

    Like what AG has mentioned... remind oneself that we have a life beyond making pictures, and at the same time, lust for other items.

    It helps.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  5. #5
    Member Knighthunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pigeon Hole in Mandalay
    Posts
    958

    Default

    It's normal....just like adrenalin rush, the craving of having new lenses....
    TCW has 2 set 70-200 f2.8L for sale
    W204FL

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Originally posted by Knighthunter
    It's normal....just like adrenalin rush, the craving of having new lenses....
    TCW has 2 set 70-200 f2.8L for sale
    oh gosh , i hate to ask this but!! HOW MUCH!!!

  7. #7

    Default

    Been there; done that . All I can say is "Go take more pics!"

    1) It helps you take your mind off the BUY BUY BUY Syndrome

    2) It'll help you discover what you really NEED and hence you won't fret too much doing senseless research on what you WANT.

    3) Obsessing about making great pictures is waaay cheaper than obsessing about getting better lens.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by BraveHart
    Been there; done that . All I can say is "Go take more pics!"

    1) It helps you take your mind off the BUY BUY BUY Syndrome

    2) It'll help you discover what you really NEED and hence you won't fret too much doing senseless research on what you WANT.

    3) Obsessing about making great pictures is waaay cheaper than obsessing about getting better lens.
    Sound advice mate!

    But now.... where have you been and show us yer shots!
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by eadwine


    oh gosh , i hate to ask this but!! HOW MUCH!!!
    Don't ask. Don't care. Just go down and BUY BUY BUY!
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    Haha it's blokes retail therapy!

    These days I don't agonise or trawl through the web looking for a lens to buy... I got a long list to go through that as soon as I get the money I buy one by one!

    In all seriousness, I know exactly what you all mean. I'm looking at getting a new computer and new(er) car, and it's the endless trawling for reviews, weighing the pros and cons, figuring how much I have to spend, etc etc...

    In some ways, it's like being a kid in a candy store...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Originally posted by Jed

    In some ways, it's like being a kid in a candy store...
    And its going to be one hell of a BIG candy

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by eadwine


    And its going to be one hell of a BIG candy
    Ead.. we all know how you feel lah...
    Heck, now i'm agonising over which PDA to buy and as it is,
    it's quite stressful already.. hehe.

    But seriously, it really helps when you know what you need to get and what it is meant for...
    Last edited by Wolfgang; 3rd February 2003 at 09:29 AM.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  13. #13
    Pricess Leia
    Guests

    Default

    Oh You boys,

    Lenses are like phalic symbols......men always wanting something bigger, longer and better

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Riddle Realms
    Posts
    5,688

    Default

    Originally posted by Pricess Leia
    Oh You boys,

    Lenses are like phalic symbols......men always wanting something bigger, longer and better
    Tsk tsk tsk... so incendiary...
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    east side
    Posts
    1,937

    Default

    Originally posted by Wolfgang


    Tsk tsk tsk... so incendiary...
    ya lor
    it should be slimmer, chio-er, rounder, bigger!!!

  16. #16

    Default

    Originally posted by Pricess Leia
    Oh You boys,

    Lenses are like phalic symbols......men always wanting something bigger, longer and better
    how about those who crave for super wides? shorter and wider.... not very appropriate right?

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    Originally posted by eadwine


    ya lor
    it should be slimmer, chio-er, rounder, bigger!!!
    Heh. Methinks Princess Leia is quite chio. But can also think of a few photographers who would rather sleep with Princess Leica in bed...

  18. #18

    Default

    I kept tellin' ya - getting the D60 is only the beginning.

    I've largely completed my lens collection, so the lust has abated somewhat. Got a few duds - lenses I hardly use. Keeping these for emergencies rather than selling them off. They tend to be the lenses with apertures smaller than f2.8. Now there's a pointer.

    Now just waiting for an excuse to get more "exotic" lenses like the 200 f1.8.

    I do think, however, that the 70-200 f2.8 is indispensable. If you can afford it, get the IS version. It will be worth every cent and will hold its resale value pretty well. Me, I'm waiting for Sigma to come out with an OS version.

  19. #19

    Default

    Originally posted by Wolfgang


    Sound advice mate!

    But now.... where have you been and show us yer shots!
    Aiyar...been dammed bz at work man I'll be back in business once this peak season is over. Dammed...my 1.5 rolls per week average has dropped to 13 shots in 2 months

    Originally posted by desmondwong


    how about those who crave for super wides? shorter and wider.... not very appropriate right?
    eh...its not the size that matters...but how u use it May the Force be with you

  20. #20
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    the easiest way to skip all the Lust for Lens, is to get a compact camera

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •