Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 105

Thread: Are there any psychologists here?

  1. #41

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    I had my foundation in Psychology. After 3 years of practising photography, I had turned into a psychophotographer. Hence, I didn't become a psychologist eventually. But psycho will always remain in the blood in whatever we do.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by cityofangels View Post
    What the!!

    On the side note, I seriously do not think you need to study Psy. in order to have the view that any human life is precious.
    True. But I'm pretty bad at handling human beings, even worse with words & indescribable where spoken conversation is concerned.

    Human life's precious, one doesn't need a Psy Degree to know it. Unfortunately, I get idiots around me telling me "How I shld behave befitting one holding a Psy Degree" (that I shld be understanding, infinite paitence, infinite sympathy & empathy, etc) that I simply heck 'em all and choose to fart on that instead.

    I'm a human not a Saint, Angel or God.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    What the.... I hope you are just kidding else that's a very disappointing comment to note, especially from someone who is studying Psych.
    That's kidding. But seriously, I'm a human as well.

    Try telling a lawyer who's got a law degree that he ought to be dressed up to the nines all day befitting his 'status' as a lawyer or one with a license to the Bar. He'll die of exhaustion from carrying himself so professionally 24/7.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  4. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    BAD CS!! I typed a fairly long reply to cityofangel and feryl's comments but when I tried to send it, I was prompted to type in my name and password again. Then it's back to a blank screen!! Arghh...

    Anyway it's getting late. Just want to thank both of you for the insightful sharing. Will see if I have the energy to retype another day. Time for bed soon.
    That's where copy function comes in handy...
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    u 1 2 switch course?
    Nope.

    I don't mind someone writing my reports for me. All that's left are my Business Majors to complete before I get my degree anyway.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    looks like 1 needs lots of $$ & time 2 go into tis field locally. i got no $ & not tt much time mayb i'd get my PHD abt 40 -50yrs old?

    1 of my dream profession till reality kicks in...
    Honestly, where Psy is concerned in Singapore, like someone had mentioned - Superstitious is still pretty much prevalent here where old folks like to consult a Spirit Medium for their mental problems. Schizopheria & other mental illnesses that can be put under control thru family emotional support & medication are being ignored and ppl would rely on quack doctors & spirit mediums for advice. If one mentions "Psychologist" or "Psychiatrist" ppl will immediately think that those who are referred to such Professionals are "Siao". If u say u're in the Psy field, most ppl would look onto u with tinted specs either u're "like those cool people in the movie where they read minds" or "u're working with crackpots".

    As for time & $$, it merely takes ur time to study (and writing danged reports to be handed in every month!). U're working now right? Basically its roughly the same price as taking a part-time degree leading to a BSc or a BA.

    If u've got the heart, no need to wait till u're 50yrs old. Just do it.
    Last edited by jsbn; 22nd November 2006 at 10:02 AM.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  7. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    True. But I'm pretty bad at handling human beings, even worse with words & indescribable where spoken conversation is concerned.

    Human life's precious, one doesn't need a Psy Degree to know it. Unfortunately, I get idiots around me telling me "How I shld behave befitting one holding a Psy Degree" (that I shld be understanding, infinite paitence, infinite sympathy & empathy, etc) that I simply heck 'em all and choose to fart on that instead.

    I'm a human not a Saint, Angel or God.
    Nope, I don't think the response that you recieve is due to you not having infinite patience, sympathy, empathy...

    It is due to you seemingly NOT having any at all...

    Sheesh... What do you expect when you "Tell people to go ahead and die"..

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    Nope, I don't think the response that you recieve is due to you not having infinite patience, sympathy, empathy...

    It is due to you seemingly NOT having any at all...

    Sheesh... What do you expect when you "Tell people to go ahead and die"..
    What do I expect when I "Tell ppl to go ahead and die"?

    Hmm.... Death by rail, death by high building leaping, death by poisoning, death by drowning.

    I can imagine.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    What do I expect when I "Tell ppl to go ahead and die"?

    Hmm.... Death by rail, death by high building leaping, death by poisoning, death by drowning.

    I can imagine.
    LOL... Expect people to hammer you for being psycho?

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    LOL... Expect people to hammer you for being psycho?
    Half of it.

    All humans have this potential to be a psycho. We are all have our Tigers & Lions caged up. Its only a matter of coming to terms of their existence within urself.

    I had. Have u?
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Half of it.

    All humans have this potential to be a psycho. We are all have our Tigers & Lions caged up. Its only a matter of coming to terms of their existence within urself.

    I had. Have u?
    Nope... You want to help me release my Tigers and Lions??

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Its coming to terms of their existence.

    If u wanna release them, go ahead. I wun be responsible for any happenings thereafter.
    "Wonders of the Human Mind. Unfathomable to the highest degree."

  13. #53

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Wow jsbn, u sound like a difficult man who has been thru some trauma?

    Anyway, I dun think it really takes much effort for anyone to be conscious about giving sensible advice to others... certainly not like how you described about lawyers having to wear suits all day.

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Priscilia View Post
    Wow jsbn, u sound like a difficult man who has been thru some trauma?

    Anyway, I dun think it really takes much effort for anyone to be conscious about giving sensible advice to others... certainly not like how you described about lawyers having to wear suits all day.
    I don't think it is trauma... Just unconciously released some of his caged Tigers and Lions in his earlier posting...

    On a serious note:
    we need to learn how to let our Tigers and Lions go in a once in a while (under control)... Coming to terms may not be healthy as it is just acknowledging their existence within us... Our Tigers and Lions may grow too big without us being aware of it until it is too late...

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Half of it.

    All humans have this potential to be a psycho. We are all have our Tigers & Lions caged up. Its only a matter of coming to terms of their existence within urself.

    I had. Have u?
    haha... Unleash your animal... Mine is a Pikachu... no no... maybe digimon...

    Anyway, to ask someone to die is Psychology, but when a group tells you off for doing that is sociology... just that jsbn have problem fitting with the society... need a sociologist... hehe... and i thought its good to release one's anxiety... now u guys are asking jsbn to conform to the norms... which would most likely give him a traumatic mid lifehood...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    I don't think it is trauma... Just unconciously released some of his caged Tigers and Lions in his earlier posting...

    On a serious note:
    we need to learn how to let our Tigers and Lions go in a once in a while (under control)... Coming to terms may not be healthy as it is just acknowledging their existence within us... Our Tigers and Lions may grow too big without us being aware of it until it is too late...
    coming to terms with problems is different from repression. if you can manage and rationalise your problems internally, you may not even need to vent them. On the other hand, what you're pointing out is probably the problem with 'repression', denying a problem exists or insisting that it is not a problem - that is definitely maladaptive in the long run.

    One doesn't have to 'release' the 'tigers or lions' in order to deal with them, most therapies in fact deal more with changing the way you rationalise or perceive fears and emotions, as oppose to letting ppl run wild in order to vent and reduce their frustration.

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wowee View Post
    I don't think it is trauma... Just unconciously released some of his caged Tigers and Lions in his earlier posting...

    On a serious note:
    we need to learn how to let our Tigers and Lions go in a once in a while (under control)... Coming to terms may not be healthy as it is just acknowledging their existence within us... Our Tigers and Lions may grow too big without us being aware of it until it is too late...
    was about to do tis ya know...

    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #58

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    haha... Unleash your animal... Mine is a Pikachu... no no... maybe digimon...

    Anyway, to ask someone to die is Psychology, but when a group tells you off for doing that is sociology... just that jsbn have problem fitting with the society... need a sociologist... hehe... and i thought its good to release one's anxiety... now u guys are asking jsbn to conform to the norms... which would most likely give him a traumatic mid lifehood...
    actually jbsn may have a point in what he says. there is seriously no way anyone can stop a person if they really intend to die. You can try to convince them or change their perception of hopelessness, but after all is said and done, it's not a clinical certainty that the suicidal tendencies will go away for sure. maybe what he did was to shortcut to the chase, if ppl wanna die then let them do it. i don't agree with him, but i also can see where he's coming from. Personally, i'm not a people's person either. I take psychology not because i'm interested to help individuals. Counselling is actually just one aspect of psychology - there're many more schools that look into different things.

    in fact i think of counselling as one of those 'i throw one starfish back into the sea, i save one starfish',

    whereas i'm more interested in 'why did the starfish end up on the beach, was it the ocean currents, or did the starfish crawl here? Was he pushed out by other sea creatures? Is there some deeper meaning as to why he chose this beach?'

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by feryl View Post
    coming to terms with problems is different from repression. if you can manage and rationalise your problems internally, you may not even need to vent them. On the other hand, what you're pointing out is probably the problem with 'repression', denying a problem exists or insisting that it is not a problem - that is definitely maladaptive in the long run.

    One doesn't have to 'release' the 'tigers or lions' in order to deal with them, most therapies in fact deal more with changing the way you rationalise or perceive fears and emotions, as oppose to letting ppl run wild in order to vent and reduce their frustration.


    Agree and dun agree...

    How about things like stress? I thought it is healthier to release it? Addictions cannot be cured simply by managing or rationalising the problem... You do need help in releasing the urge by using substitute ways... Like nicotine gum etc...

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    181

    Default Re: Are there any psychologists here?

    Quote Originally Posted by feryl View Post
    actually jbsn may have a point in what he says. there is seriously no way anyone can stop a person if they really intend to die. You can try to convince them or change their perception of hopelessness, but after all is said and done, it's not a clinical certainty that the suicidal tendencies will go away for sure. maybe what he did was to shortcut to the chase, if ppl wanna die then let them do it. i don't agree with him, but i also can see where he's coming from. Personally, i'm not a people's person either. I take psychology not because i'm interested to help individuals. Counselling is actually just one aspect of psychology - there're many more schools that look into different things.

    in fact i think of counselling as one of those 'i throw one starfish back into the sea, i save one starfish',

    whereas i'm more interested in 'why did the starfish end up on the beach, was it the ocean currents, or did the starfish crawl here? Was he pushed out by other sea creatures? Is there some deeper meaning as to why he chose this beach?'
    You are right to say no one can stop people from taking their life if they really want to die... But most of the time suicidal people who try to seek help or try to talk to somebody are people who do not really want to die... They realised they need help, pushing them aside callously could really tip the balance...

    You need not help or counsel if you feel you are not up to the task but no need to encourage or further instigate the suicidal person...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •