Thread: No. of pictures taken

Default No. of pictures taken

Eversince using a dSLR, a thought came into my mind. Do you guys keep taking pictures for the sake of taking them(snapping hundreds of them) and filter out when get back to your desktop.

The dilemma is

1)should i keep pressing the shutters to capture all the moments and filter off the pictures in the computer

or

2)should I wait and look for the right moment. Taking less pictures and may miss out 'the right moment'.

I went to an event and came home with probably a thousand+ pictures snapped in 1 day. I was advised to shoot freely so as to capture the right atmosphere at the right time. Because my photography instinct has yet to be well honed, I snapped pictures without putting much effort in thinking of the composition and framing. I kept tell myself that i can always delete them off and do PS later.

However, snapping the shutter button at almost any moments kinda make me a 'cheap' photographer. I see. I shoot. I didnt think. I'm exploting the advantage of digital format.

I know something is amiss.

any guidance?

Default Re: No. of pictures taken

As you are just beginning, I think it's okay to shoot more and review later. But as you progress, hopefully you learn from your good and bad shots regarding composition and timing. Don't forget that you may still miss 'moments' between shots if you shoot aimlessly.

It's up to individuals.

I prefer to compose the shots and then try bracketing them to see if the effect is what I wanteed. Changing ev, wb and angle on the spot would give me a higher chance of bagging some good shots. I usually filter first on the spot, if the shot cannot make it, then delete. Try again for a better effect.

But on the other hand, if you just shoot without composition and without checking the results, then you may end up with only a very small percentage of keeper shots (mebbe less than 10%). Digital is a GREAT advantage for us as it allows us to review on the spot, but you need to know what you want in the first place.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

last time i used to have 1k over photos a day. and filter. in the end. i am left with like 10%

now... i take usually 50-80 pictures a day. and i keep 30-45 of them. post process them, and dump inside server.

and wait lor... one day i will print a book for myself. hahaa

unless u all wan to buy my collection.... lol.

all the shots that entered my computer eventually are all keepable shots. ie. technical aspects all correct. some just don't get the correct moment the photog wants to capture.

sometimes i shoot 3-4 shots of the same thing, esp for grp shots, you never know who will blink or what. these will amount to more shots in your workflow finally.
    random equipment.
    where are my primes?

Quote Originally Posted by ryuggen View Post
    However, snapping the shutter button at almost any moments kinda make me a 'cheap' photographer. I see. I shoot. I didnt think. I'm exploting the advantage of digital format.

any guidance?
    Looks like u already have the answer, soon u will learn to start with the "thinking" process before pressing the shutter...

Eversince using a dSLR, a thought came into my mind. Do you guys keep taking pictures for the sake of taking them(snapping hundreds of them) and filter out when get back to your desktop.

The dilemma is

1)should i keep pressing the shutters to capture all the moments and filter off the pictures in the computer

or

2)should I wait and look for the right moment. Taking less pictures and may miss out 'the right moment'.

I went to an event and came home with probably a thousand+ pictures snapped in 1 day. I was advised to shoot freely so as to capture the right atmosphere at the right time. Because my photography instinct has yet to be well honed, I snapped pictures without putting much effort in thinking of the composition and framing. I kept tell myself that i can always delete them off and do PS later.

any guidance?

Having been in the area of events coverage, I'll recommend NOT snapping all the time as the amount of picture to work with can be very ovewhelming.

Here's a brief guide should you cover an event:

1) ASK for a programme outline/itinery - This will help you plan your shoot in a way, anticipate important shots, and most importantly IN THE RIGHT PLACE, AT THE RIGHT TIME (You won't want to be caught not having a particular shot just because you were in another place shooting something that is less important)

2) DON'T SNAP the same pose/framing/angle with different people (unless it's required). Be artistic and see with your creative eye. Frame ultra-wide or super-tight to enhance picture aesthetics and appeal.

3) LIGHTS are your best friends in an event. Amticipate the change of lighting (should there be any) so that your pictures will be more colourful and exciting. Shoot in aperture-mode to minimise under- or over-exposure due to sudden lighting change. Use Manual only if you have fast fingers.

4) BE SHARP and always lookout for those "moments" shots. A smile, exchange of handshakes, tears, etc.

5) NEVER INDULGE in reviewing pictures. Speaking from experience, I have missed quite a lot of good shots because I was busy reviewing. Do a quick review after each shot and delete there and then should there be a need. Otherwise, trust yourself and do the review and filter when you have a break or after the event.

I hope this small little guide helps. With the above guide, I have managed to have approx. 75% "catch" everytime I cover an event.

Just remember your quality of pictures is not determined by the number of pictures you captured at the end of the day. You may have 150+ pictures for a 5-hour event and at another 300+ for a 2-hour event. It's the final delivery of pictures that counts.

Cheers.

Looks like its okay to take more pictures.
    The advices really helped alot, thanks!

But its such a chore to look at hundreds of them in the desktop. grr.

But its such a chore to look at hundreds of them in the desktop. grr.
    That will motivate you to improve your shutter discipline.

haha if u use film, the cost of film might also improve ur shutter discipline...
    also will not lose shots as cannot review...