Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567

Thread: Which Canon DSLR and lens should an amateur pick? Please recommend!

Default Re: Which Canon DSLR and lens should an amateur pick? Please recommend!

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    Hm well... all in all, I don't feel that Liveview is essential. Neither should the 3 inch LCD be a very big deal. These are things that are good to have if you got the cash.

Why I disagree with the 450D is mainly because a 40D is not too far away. If you wanna get a 450D, why not just go straight to 40D, it will last you much longer, especially for amateurs, it can probably last you 7+ years if you learn to regulate your spending habits.

All in all, Lens priority =) I'd rather buy 135L + 350D than 450D + Kit =) Of course, different people have different choice lens.
    I agree.. with the current price of a 40D, it is temping to choose it over the 450D. However the weight (what it lack) can sometime be an advantage to the 450D. Of course, it all come down to what you shoot and how much you have in your pocket...

I don't think a dslr (unless you are talking about the 1Ds or D3) can last 7 years. Given the current life span of the electronic now, I would be very happy if my dslr can last 5 years.

Default Re: Which Canon DSLR and lens should an amateur pick? Please recommend!

Quote Originally Posted by Anson View Post
    I agree.. with the current price of a 40D, it is temping to choose it over the 450D. However the weight (what it lack) can sometime be an advantage to the 450D. Of course, it all come down to what you shoot and how much you have in your pocket...

I don't think a dslr (unless you are talking about the 1Ds or D3) can last 7 years. Given the current life span of the electronic now, I would be very happy if my dslr can last 5 years.
    It will out-date in 2-3 years, even 1 year, that is for sure. But we don't have to be chasing top-notch equipment to be shooting do we? =)

I think if unabused, the 40D should last 5-7 years, perhaps only the shutter will die before 5 years, I think the sensor and electronics should last. I mean, there are so many people still using 350D (me included), its roughly 4 years now, I've heard testimonies of people's 350D lasting them 6 whole years without a shutter change.

So yea, I'm frankly speaking about durability and not 'up-to-date'-ness.

Weight... well its a preference issue. I've been using a gripped 350D for only 2 weeks, now the camera feels funny without the grip on. I think its easy to adapt. 300g may feel like a lot, but for an average healthy individual, its should be an insignificant amount. It improves stability too anyway, especially with heavier lenses, bringing the CG closer to you.

I'm looking to upgrade straight to 40D maybe 1 year later when it drops somemore and stop there for at least 3-5 years... haha. Anyone has any idea or good guess when 40D will be discontinued?

Also, for me, it makes no sense to up my 350D to 450D, very marginal benefits the way I see it. On the other hand, 400D 2nd hand is coming to $500 already, should be a good enough starter cam until they need the AF and high ISO.

Aren't you still using your FZ50 anyway? Still serving you well isn't it?
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2567