Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: PDA for Photos

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by SniperD

If you are a CITIbank ready credit owner, go for the IPAQ5450... which I tjink I will be getting for my gf.
    As I've mentioned before, if you wanna take advantage of the offer you'll have to be prepared to go extremely early and rush to queue up. Imagine when people wanted to get the Hello Kitty thing, the queues were already so long. This offers much better savings, and possibly even earn you some extra spending cash! But I suppose the good thing about this is that you'll know almost immeadiately whether or not you'll be successful or not.

cyke
    Guests

Originally posted by imaginary_number

As for PPCs, they usually last abt 2 hrs + only (playing mp3s with LCD off).
    Just curious - where did you get this figure? My iPAQ 3870 plays 10 hrs with the LCD off! And with the higher capacity batteries in the later iPAQ models, I'm sure the battery life is even better.

When you compare battery life across models, you must ensure the conditions are equivalent: screen brightness and colour. From my checks with Sony Clie owners (those with colour), their PDAs usually last a few hours before running out of juice and is comparable to those of Pocket PCs.

Anyway, back to the thread, make sure you check the screen quality before buying. The backlight screens for both older Pocket PC and Palm-based models were rather milky with poor colour reproduction. The new ones, like the iPAQ 39xx and 54xx series, the iPAQ 1910, the Sony Clies and the Tungsten, are good models.

Check out www.PPCSG.com for the local Pocket PC users' group site.

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by cyke

The new ones, like the iPAQ 39xx and 54xx series, the iPAQ 1910, the Sony Clies and the Tungsten, are good models.
    Yeah, 3970+CF Plus Sleeve = MP3 Playback Power! = Brick
    But that suits me just fine since my PDA is always in my slingbag anyway no matter how big or small.

Just curious - where did you get this figure? My iPAQ 3870 plays 10 hrs with the LCD off! And with the higher capacity batteries in the later iPAQ models, I'm sure the battery life is even better.

Check out www.PPCSG.com for the local Pocket PC users' group site.
    I used to own a 3760; it lasted only abt 1 hr+ playing mp3s. I'm aware that the 3800 series have got better battery life but I also read from ppcsg that playing mp3s on the 3800 series lasts only abt 2-3 hrs.

So you're saying yours can last 10 hrs?? Is that with CF+ or just running on it's own batt?
    Last edited by imaginary_number; 3rd February 2003 at 12:22 PM.

Btw, here's where I read it from:
    http://www.ppcsg.com/forums/viewtopi...er=asc&start=0

cyke
    Guests

Yup, it's running on its own battery off the SD card. I did this battery test when I first got the 3870.

2 hrs is very bad especially if the backlight is off. I will probably get better batt life than that on the 3870 if I leave the backlight on (lowest setting above zero backlight) and playing mp3s consecutively!

With backlight on with lowest setting above zero setting, I get 1% drop in battery life per 3 minutes, a 1% drop in battery life per 5 minutes if backlight is off and LCD on, and a 1% drop in battery life per 7 minutes if LCD is totally off.

Now that you have mentioned storage, there are other factors too, e.g. if you're running on a Microdrive, etc. The battery life of the earlier iPAQ models also deprove after a year or two's worth of use (I am not sure about the later models from the 38xx onwards).

If size is a factor and you have to run off the CF card, then maybe the iPAQ series isn't what you want.

P.S. thanks for the link, I think [Wizard] might have gotten a lemon. His battery life is too low.
    Last edited by cyke; 3rd February 2003 at 12:24 PM.

Originally posted by Wolfgang

1. Ipaq 3970
    2. Sony Clie T665C
    3. Tungsten T
    4. Viewsonic V35
    T665 review:
    http://www.spug.net/reviews/rt665.htm

Viewsonic V35 specs:
    http://www.viewsonic.com/products/po...ocketpcv35.htm

Default PDAs...

Hey WG I'm using a Sony Clie T615 close bro of the T665... Not bad in fact the plus point is that I also owned a Sony Cybershot DigiCam so after shooting using the DigiCam, I can use the Sony clie to process and view the shots straight away. In fact I believe the Clie has the best display in its class.

If you are interested, do let me know, I can give you a short demo on what the Clie can do during the next Seed mtg.

I have been using PDA for around 12 years already and have tried a number of them, Casio, Sharp, Palm, PSION, PPC, etc and I still find the palm based is the most friendly in terms of a personal PDA. PPC handhelds is only suitable for one that wants to bring a windows apps/PC with him, ie for compatibility of a PC on the road, but in terms of using it as a PDA it may not be as easy and friendly as compared to a Palm OS.

So if you wants us to help you, perhaps you identify your actual needs first, then it would be easier for you to decide.

PM me if you would like to arrange a informal mtg, off hand I can only show you the Clie as currently I am holding onto one.

Yup, it's running on its own battery off the SD card. I did this battery test when I first got the 3870.
    Btw, was it a continuous playback test?

The battery life of the earlier iPAQ models also deprove after a year or two's worth of use (I am not sure about the later models from the 38xx onwards).
    Hmm... so the battery life deteriorates over time. In that case, how's the battery life for ur 3870 now? Can it still play 10 hrs of mp3s?

Would like to know more as I'm considering jumping back onto the PPC bandwagon
    Last edited by imaginary_number; 3rd February 2003 at 12:49 PM.

cyke
    Guests

I don't think I can hit 10 hrs now. More likely to be 7-8 hours or so, but the drop is not as drastic as those who had 36xx/37xx. This is guesswork because I don't really listen to mp3s anymore.

By the way, if you have a good pair of earphones, the 38xx/39xx sound quality simply ROCKS! Hear it to believe!

hi Wolfgang,

If you don't mind Pocket PC and if weight is a very important criteria to you, then there are several models with form factor almost the size of pam OS machines.
    Asus (can't remember model), Toshiba 330e, Viewsonic v35, NEC mobilepro 300e, MiTAC Mio 528. Most of these weight in less than 150g and are very slim.

do let us know which pda you buy in the end!

cheerios

Advertiser

Looks like it's the Tungstun for me then.

Anyone wants to buy my creative MP3 player? Cheap Cheap, selling it off @ SGD$130.

And since it's the festive season, the price of the MP3 player (RP $169) is still negotiable.
    You might wanna know that a newer model, Tungsten W (W for wireless) is releasing soon, that's why they are having the promotion right now.
    EastGear Pte Ltd
    65 Ubi Crescent, Singapore 408559, Tel: +65 68371582 Fax: +65 68371583

Tungsten W is one of the reasons but not the main. Both Tungsten T and W cater to different crowds and audiences. One possible reason for the recent drop in price and promo (its a regional promo) is Sony may be coming out with a new PalmOS device soon.

Advertiser

Wah... so many suggestions and comments...

Meanwhile, choice has been narrowed down to;

1. Ipaq 3970
    2. Sony Clie T665C
    3. Tungsten T
    4. Viewsonic V35

Oh yes, another question just came up... Does either of the PDA have a hardcase? Like the silver metal one that the Palm Vx has? I most definately need it...

On the other hand, the IPAQ has the CF thingy (and CF is definately cheaper!) but the problem is it's slightly too bulky for having it in my shirt pocket and i am not too keen on bringing it around on my belt with leather case.

Yes Ipaq 3970 (did I mentioned that it has built in bluetooth?)comes with a hard case with a transparent hard plastic front cover. The Ipaqs are definitely the PocketPC best looker!

If you don't attach the PC card expansion sleeve to the Ipaq, the PDA is only slightly bigger than the PalmIII.

Seriously, if you intend to buy any PDA for photo viewing purpose, I suggest you ask for an Ipaq to have a side by side comparision. Trust me, I was about to take out money to buy the toshiba e740 until I saw the Ipaq. The rest is history.
    EastGear Pte Ltd
    65 Ubi Crescent, Singapore 408559, Tel: +65 68371582 Fax: +65 68371583

In terms of budget and size, i have narrowed it down to these 2 models;

1. Sony Clie T665C
    2. Tungsten T

Now, i only wonder if either models have hard cases as accessories? I need my PDA to be robust and durable, like
    my current Vx due to me running about, and also to accompany me on my jogs etc etc...

Anyone?

Thanks!
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

In terms of budget and size, i have narrowed it down to these 2 models;

1. Sony Clie T665C
    2. Tungsten T

Now, i only wonder if either models have hard cases as accessories? I need my PDA to be robust and durable, like
    my current Vx due to me running about, and also to accompany me on my jogs etc etc...

Anyone?

Thanks!
    Either InnoPocket Deluxe Metal case or Palm Tungsten T Aluminium Hard Case .

Originally posted by Jason Ho

Either InnoPocket Deluxe Metal case or Palm Tungsten T Aluminium Hard Case .
    Thanks again mate!
    --

Just a note about the innopocket, its very hard to open, and the latch can cut off the thumb if you're not careful..

Ok ok, next question.. hehe.. i know, i'm becoming such a pain!

How is the sound quality like for the Tungstun T?
    And can anyone confirm if they can listen to their MP3s without ripping it into *.ogg format?
    --

Originally posted by Jason Ho
    Just a note about the innopocket, its very hard to open, and the latch can cut off the thumb if you're not careful..
    Man.. and i was about to comment what a sweet looking case it was. Had my mind set on it.. hehe.. better to stick to the first one eh?
    --

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast