Thread: Tips for cold conditions

Default Tips for cold conditions

Hi guys, will be going Korea in Dec. Guess it will be freezing cold there, with weather conditions like -3 degrees. Will be bringing my camera there. Wonder if you guys have any tips for me to take note of under cold conditions. Example: Will the batt really run dry fast in cold conditions?? Do I have to bring any drying agent there? Sorry for all the newbie questions. Its my 1st time going to cold countries.

Default Re: Tips for cold conditions

Quote Originally Posted by Initude View Post
    Hi guys, will be going Korea in Dec. Guess it will be freezing cold there, with weather conditions like -3 degrees. Will be bringing my camera there. Wonder if you guys have any tips for me to take note of under cold conditions. Example: Will the batt really run dry fast in cold conditions?? Do I have to bring any drying agent there? Sorry for all the newbie questions. Its my 1st time going to cold countries.
    beware of fogging...

i'm thinking of making a mini heater to wrap round my lenses after my recent trip, i bring out the whole thing fog.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Blog Entries

when i have a cold, i stay at home and rest

and surf for information

http://pcworld.about.com/news/Dec282004id118862.htm

I just returned from a trip to Austria. It snowed on the second day of my visit in the town of Wels. Have had no problem with my equipment - no condensation on my lens even when I moved into the house from the cold outside. The only problem seems to be the battery life which seems to be shorter. Anyway, always kept the spare battery in the warm of my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    beware of fogging...

i'm thinking of making a mini heater to wrap round my lenses after my recent trip, i bring out the whole thing fog.
    Hmmm, ok will take note of it. Hopefully it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    I just returned from a trip to Austria. It snowed on the second day of my visit in the town of Wels. Have had no problem with my equipment - no condensation on my lens even when I moved into the house from the cold outside. The only problem seems to be the battery life which seems to be shorter. Anyway, always kept the spare battery in the warm of my pocket.
    Thanks. Will sure be bringing my charger and extra batt along. Wonder how many times i will be recharging over there to last the entire 8 days.

I am in exactly the same position as you. Going to S.Korea in Dec, first time in such cold climate. But from what I have heard from others here they say to keep the batts warm and just beware of fogging.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

Thanks. Will sure be bringing my charger and extra batt along. Wonder how many times i will be recharging over there to last the entire 8 days.
    When you have the extra battery, keep it in your jacket on the inside so that it remains warm. Once the first battery runs out of juice becuase of the temp, put it in your jacket and warm it up and you can reuse it again... rotate the battery and its ok.

0C is not that cold lah. You'll have a bigger problem when its below -10C with windchill. Don't forget to wear a pair of gloves that allows you to operate the buttons as well. What you dont want to do is to take off the gloves everytime you need to press a button. Its damn cold, especially if you have a metal bodied camera... I got my fingers stuck to an aluminium tripod once when I took off my gloves. bare skin to metal = no good!
    Leicanaut & Nikonaut @ http://nangka.org/events

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    When you have the extra battery, keep it in your jacket on the inside so that it remains warm. Once the first battery runs out of juice becuase of the temp, put it in your jacket and warm it up and you can reuse it again... rotate the battery and its ok.

0C is not that cold lah. You'll have a bigger problem when its below -10C with windchill. Don't forget to wear a pair of gloves that allows you to operate the buttons as well. What you dont want to do is to take off the gloves everytime you need to press a button. Its damn cold, especially if you have a metal bodied camera... I got my fingers stuck to an aluminium tripod once when I took off my gloves. bare skin to metal = no good!
    ouch...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

I went to korea in December last year. On the mountain ski resort it is REALLY cold especially if there is wind.

One thing is you might one to get a very good fitting and warm gloves so that you can take picture with gloves on.

I used an oly E1 and I did not have any problems with fogging. Fogging usually clears itself up within minutes as the air is very dry.

One thing was the place is really cold and you have have a thing that CAN STOP WIND. Basically your outer wear must be airtight cuz once cold air get into your jacket, it is basically useless. You will feel cold even with thermals. Cold air usually enter through the end of your sleves.... so your gloves must be able to go over the sleves....

A useful thing to have is a ski mask that cover your face so that you don't breath in the cold air and ear muffs to protect your ears

I spend winter in England b4 but the korea mountain top was like below -10 deg C in the morning I think....

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post

I only have a pair of wool gloves for easiler handling. I find that leather or ski gloves are simply too thick!! I tried them on and I had difficulties in bending my fingers. Hopefully, I'll get used to taking pics with gloves on.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    I went to korea in December last year. On the mountain ski resort it is REALLY cold especially if there is wind.

One thing is you might one to get a very good fitting and warm gloves so that you can take picture with gloves on.

I used an oly E1 and I did not have any problems with fogging. Fogging usually clears itself up within minutes as the air is very dry.

One thing was the place is really cold and you have have a thing that CAN STOP WIND. Basically your outer wear must be airtight cuz once cold air get into your jacket, it is basically useless. You will feel cold even with thermals. Cold air usually enter through the end of your sleves.... so your gloves must be able to go over the sleves....

A useful thing to have is a ski mask that cover your face so that you don't breath in the cold air and ear muffs to protect your ears

I spend winter in England b4 but the korea mountain top was like below -10 deg C in the morning I think....
    -10 deg C!! Ok. The worst weather conditions I have spent overseas was only like 10 deg.

Here are some photos I took in Boston this jan and my D70 survived at about -10c.....stay out from the falling snow unless your cam is water proof.....hide your cam inside your coat or jacket when not shooting if possible.....your body warm will helps Bring spare battery

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post

Just curious, did you shoot and keep you camera immediately after that? Or can it be exposed to the weather a little while? I'm going to the S. Korea's ski resort in December and still wondering how to pack my camera.

As above from someone. Just sling the camera around your neck inside your jacket/coat when not in use. Or make sure you jacket/coat have extra big pocket. It will definitely prevent any fogging.
    I had done it before for one whole month during winter without even fogging once.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by filofari View Post
    Just curious, did you shoot and keep you camera immediately after that? Or can it be exposed to the weather a little while? I'm going to the S. Korea's ski resort in December and still wondering how to pack my camera.
    Maybe we'll bump into 1 another there.

Maybe we'll bump into 1 another there.
    when will you be going? I'm going on the 20th.

Quote Originally Posted by filofari View Post
    when will you be going? I'm going on the 20th.
    Me going on the 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post
    As above from someone. Just sling the camera around your neck inside your jacket/coat when not in use. Or make sure you jacket/coat have extra big pocket. It will definitely prevent any fogging.
    I had done it before for one whole month during winter without even fogging once.
    get the lowepro chest harness, its very convenient for walk-abouts. and yes, do keep your batteries close to you, the cold tends to drain them rather quickly.
    Many are culled, few are chosen