Thread: Brand new body with second hand lens? Or secondhand body with brand new lense!

Talking Brand new body with second hand lens? Or secondhand body with brand new lense!

okaye! hello hello!

so its another question that's bothering me! so let's say if you have got a bdget of <1.4k
    , shld you consider a brand new body with second hand lens or second hand body with brand new lens!

my good people of clubsnap
    tell me what's your take on that kaye!

Default Re: brand new body with second hand lens? or secondhand body with brand new lense!

I'll take brand new body with 2nd hand lens. There is a shutter count for DSLRs, so, I would like to have a body whose shutter would not start to fail.

Lenses, you can still tell how good or bad the condition is, can test for sharpness and buy a good and sharp copy.

Unless you can find a good 2nd hand body which is only few mths old and the shutter count is low. Then can get 2nd hand body with 2nd hand lens
    Last edited by midicity; 19th November 2006 at 07:56 AM.

Default Re: brand new body with second hand lens? or secondhand body with brand new lense!

2nd hand body and 2nd hand lens lah... get the most value for your $$$

Lightbulb Re: brand new body with second hand lens? or secondhand body with brand new lense!

New body more important, lens less problematic...
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3

Quote Originally Posted by imaginary_number View Post
    2nd hand body and 2nd hand lens lah... get the most value for your $$$
    i agree. just make sure the shutter count isnt too high on the body.. if its a canon body, the 350d and 400d has a shutter life of 40K i think.. and thats being modest since canon woudnt want people to sue their pants off.

i guess anything under 10K shutter count should last you for a good few years.. and by then, maybe a new system has been launched and you might consider upgrading or you may feel that maybe photg isnt for you? then not so heart pain..

Quote Originally Posted by midicity View Post
    I'll take brand new body with 2nd hand lens. There is a shutter count for DSLRs, so, I would like to have a body whose shutter would not start to fail.

Lenses, you can still tell how good or bad the condition is, can test for sharpness and buy a good and sharp copy.

Unless you can find a good 2nd hand body which is only few mths old and the shutter count is low. Then can get 2nd hand body with 2nd hand lens
    Best answer. If you trust the seller, 2nd hand body with 2nd hand lens!

Quote Originally Posted by with_brokenwings View Post
    i agree. just make sure the shutter count isnt too high on the body.. if its a canon body, the 350d and 400d has a shutter life of 40K i think.. and thats being modest since canon woudnt want people to sue their pants off.

i guess anything under 10K shutter count should last you for a good few years.. and by then, maybe a new system has been launched and you might consider upgrading or you may feel that maybe photg isnt for you? then not so heart pain..
    If shutter count too high, just bargain for a lower price. Changing the shutter costs $200-$300+ (? can't remember), and you're good to go for a long way more. I trust the rest of the mechanisms and electronics to be relatively reliable - ppl are still using D30s and D60s!

Quote Originally Posted by Caspere View Post
    Best answer. If you trust the seller, 2nd hand body with 2nd hand lens!
    Supplementary information for TS : if you don't trust the seller, or don't have enough knowledge, make more frens in CS. Go to the Photo Galleries, say "nice pic!", make them happy. Then you'll see how nice CS'ers can be - they'll might go meet up with you with the seller and even help you to beat him up if he attempts to pull a fast one on you.

Ok, I'm kidding. But I'm serious about the part on making friends.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by with_brokenwings View Post

you can't sue canon just because your shutter fail before the MTBF...

They are fully covered...

I go for 2nd hand len then a 2nd hand cam body. Life span and how the previous use. Depending on how the previous owner use. If its mint, why not. Just a matter of time to check out at the market sell/buy thread. U might get a great deal

Quote Originally Posted by westwest1 View Post
    you can't sue canon just because your shutter fail before the MTBF...

They are fully covered...
    May i know what is MTBF? how can i check my shuttercount?

Quote Originally Posted by oneheart View Post
    May i know what is MTBF? how can i check my shuttercount?
    Mean Time Before Failure

shutter count can be checked with Opanda iexif reader or other Exif readers
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Mean Time Before Failure

This one works with the Nikons, not with the Canons.

brand new body with 2nd hand lens any day
    a700 | dynax7
    sigma12-24/minolta28-135/sony70-300g/sig400/lensbaby2.0

Quote Originally Posted by dr34mc4st3r View Post
    brand new body with 2nd hand lens any day
    brand new body with brand new lens everyday... (in my dreams)
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Sorry Bro, can you please enlighten me how to view the shutter count? I have Opanda iexif reader, but I can't see the shutter count. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    Sorry Bro, can you please enlighten me how to view the shutter count? I have Opanda iexif reader, but I can't see the shutter count. Thanks.
    As mentioned by Bro Caspere, it may not work with Canon cameras
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    brand new body with brand new lens everyday... (in my dreams)
    lol u never fail to crack me up

but seriously, i would take a new body with 2nd hand lens.
    in fact, thats what im thinking of getting, once i save enough moolah. then its time to BBB!
    Photo Album - Photo Album

You should get a brand new body with a second hand lens..

Camera body is impt.. aft all its electronic stuff... got possibiility u get a lemon...
    But if its mint condition with warranty... You should consider.

Lens usually will not die out tt easily.
    Just watch out for fungas, haze.

Hope this helps.

As mentioned by Bro Caspere, it may not work with Canon cameras
    Thanks Bro.