Thread: How to take pictures in a dark place on a shiny reflective surface?

Default How to take pictures in a dark place on a shiny reflective surface?

Hi, does anybody have a clue?

I have to take pictures using my digicam in a relatively dark place, can't really use flash bcos of the reflective surface. ANy comments are appreciated.

use a tripod? and meter from the reflective surface not the obj you want to take..i think.

I'd think not using flash and use the ISO 400? wat other alternatives? Tx

Sin
    Guests

Default Re: How to take pictures in a dark place on a shiny reflective surface?

Originally posted by sapphire

I have to take pictures using my digicam in a relatively dark place, can't really use flash bcos of the reflective surface. ANy comments are appreciated.
    We'll probably be able to give better tips if we knew:
    what dark place it is.
    what position the reflective surface is relative to subject.
    What kind of subject. Is the subject the reflective item?
    The mood you're trying to achieve.
    Optionally, might let us know if there's other light sources that can be used to your advantage (for reflector, etc)
    Can you manipulate the place (i.e. bring light in)
    Can you even let the people inside know you're taking pics (whatever the reason)...

Else, standard answer is probably use higher speed film/setting.

no mood whatever. Just to take some information on a shiny metal plate instead of hand write. But the plate is in a dark place, covered from the light source. I have tried many times to take the pictures but nothing turned out. All efforts wasted.

The flash used on the subject which is a shiny plate with wordings on it will be reflected and the "best" of it, it's in a dark position.

Thanks for the feedback.

Try using an external/off-camera flash to illuminate it from an angel. Btw, are you doing some sort of industrial espionage? haha.
    Last edited by cyrilng; 2nd February 2003 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks..as for the spying tingy..quite close :

Thanks..as for the spying tingy..quite close :
    Don't get caught!

just take a torchlight or those portable flourecsnt tube kind, then reflect on it from away,

then high iso (400?)

and slightly longer shutter speed..

sure can make it

Default Re: How to take pictures in a dark place on a shiny reflective surface?

Method 1:
    Use external flash, and bounce it off ( the light, not the flash itself ! ) a ceiling or wall or reflector. Can handhold since the flash is the primary source of light. Bouncing makes the light reflect off the shiny surface at an angle, and so will not appear as a big fat white light in your photo.

Method 2:
    1. Use a tripod.
    2. Use any ISO you like since you are using a tripod. Just make sure the metered shutter speed is within the range of your camera.
    3. Use a external light source that can cast a even light. I presume you have no access to studio lights, so you have to be resourceful and improvise. This light need not be as strong as a real studio light, and can even be a torch light or portable camping light, so long as it is bright enough for the camera.
    4. Set the white balance if needed.
    5. Shoot.
    6. Make adjustments, goto 1.