Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Dropping Camera

  1. #1

    Default Dropping Camera

    Er, today I dropped my camera by accident, was very silly, now very heart pain. =/

    Anyone has any idea what exactly to check for other than cosmetic scratches to see if camera has been screwed up?

    It came apart a little at the seams.. ie. the piece connection parts.. But I forced it back together, looks fine to me now. All operations seem ok.. Shake no sound, ie. no loose parts are inside at least.. Photos also came out fine, at least to me.

    But just in case - to ensure that everything is REALLY fine.. Is there anything else I should check? Thank you very much people! =)

  2. #2

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Er, today I dropped my camera by accident, was very silly, now very heart pain. =/

    Anyone has any idea what exactly to check for other than cosmetic scratches to see if camera has been screwed up?

    It came apart a little at the seams.. ie. the piece connection parts.. But I forced it back together, looks fine to me now. All operations seem ok.. Shake no sound, ie. no loose parts are inside at least.. Photos also came out fine, at least to me.

    But just in case - to ensure that everything is REALLY fine.. Is there anything else I should check? Thank you very much people! =)
    PnS or DSLR? What brand?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Just check the focusing array and the lens again to be sure. Make sure no cracks and that the focusing array does not make funny sounds like what my 18-55 kit did when I dropped it.
    5D MII w/16-35L,Sigma 28-70&Nikkors(35f2,85f1.4,105f2.5,180f2.8ED)

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Er, today I dropped my camera by accident, was very silly, now very heart pain. =/

    Anyone has any idea what exactly to check for other than cosmetic scratches to see if camera has been screwed up?

    It came apart a little at the seams.. ie. the piece connection parts.. But I forced it back together, looks fine to me now. All operations seem ok.. Shake no sound, ie. no loose parts are inside at least.. Photos also came out fine, at least to me.

    But just in case - to ensure that everything is REALLY fine.. Is there anything else I should check? Thank you very much people! =)
    The camera body is usually quite sturdy and generally does not screw up when dropped. What is fragile would be the lens, which is a precision instrument. Less severe knocks commonly mess up focusing accuracy. More severe knocks may bust up your lens AF motor. But in any case, if it's working well, that's fine. Just monitor it over the next few days to see if anything screws up.
    My Personal Folio (of random events and things)

  5. #5

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Canon A540, not expensive.. But it's got a special meaning to me.. =D

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshSiao View Post
    Just check the focusing array and the lens again to be sure. Make sure no cracks and that the focusing array does not make funny sounds like what my 18-55 kit did when I dropped it.
    Eh, not familiar with the jargon 'focusing array'..

    Applicable to DSLR only or?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoned View Post
    The camera body is usually quite sturdy and generally does not screw up when dropped. What is fragile would be the lens, which is a precision instrument. Less severe knocks commonly mess up focusing accuracy. More severe knocks may bust up your lens AF motor. But in any case, if it's working well, that's fine. Just monitor it over the next few days to see if anything screws up.
    Mmm, you mean problems might develop over time?

    Have tried long shots, short shots, medium range shots.. So far so good.. But still damn worried. =(

    Luckily still got warranty; even if nothing goes wrong I think I might just send it in after a while to make sure it's ok.. =(

  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Canon A540, not expensive.. But it's got a special meaning to me.. =D
    Was it on at the point in time? Was there any damage to the lens portion? If jammed, the lens asembly can be costly to repair or replace. But if under warranty, they may close one eye and do it for free....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #9

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Usually for PnS cam, don't worry just continue shooting. I dropped my PnS twice last time and it was still ok after both drops. It still works 3 years after I dropped it!

    Since the mass of the PnS is smaller, the force on it won't be as huge as that on the DSLR. So if you drop a PnS and a DSLR, chances are the PnS will survive.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Was it on at the point in time? Was there any damage to the lens portion? If jammed, the lens asembly can be costly to repair or replace. But if under warranty, they may close one eye and do it for free....
    Yea, it was on, but no visible damage or point of contact on the lens proper; was extended at time of drop. But only the "lens cover" part got a little gravel on it.. But could be cleaned away, now that portion no problem! =D

    No jam too, hehe, I think hopefully I should have been very lucky.. next time I'd be sure to leave the sling on my hand.. If it was on my hand it won't have happened.

    /kicks self again

  11. #11

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by panzerpunk View Post
    Usually for PnS cam, don't worry just continue shooting. I dropped my PnS twice last time and it was still ok after both drops. It still works 3 years after I dropped it!

    Since the mass of the PnS is smaller, the force on it won't be as huge as that on the DSLR. So if you drop a PnS and a DSLR, chances are the PnS will survive.
    Hehe, thanks bro for the consolation.. Hope so.. I really like this camera a lot.. =D Very easy and good to use!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NTU and Wdls
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Don't worry about PnS cameras. They're different from dSLRs... They're highly advanced, everything also packed onto PCB, which is in turn packed into a box/metal shell. The housing would take most of the problem.
    You should know the bit about no moving parts then you won't suffer much problem. Your only worry would be your lens, if the focusing mechanism is still working. If you dropped it while it's off, then you shouldn't have any worries at all.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    dover
    Posts
    1,070

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    i drop my N70 before
    the cam work fines hahaha

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    @ AMK
    Posts
    2,616

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by htthach View Post
    i drop my N70 before
    the cam work fines hahaha

  15. #15

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    Er, today I dropped my camera by accident, was very silly, now very heart pain. =/

    Anyone has any idea what exactly to check for other than cosmetic scratches to see if camera has been screwed up?

    It came apart a little at the seams.. ie. the piece connection parts.. But I forced it back together, looks fine to me now. All operations seem ok.. Shake no sound, ie. no loose parts are inside at least.. Photos also came out fine, at least to me.

    But just in case - to ensure that everything is REALLY fine.. Is there anything else I should check? Thank you very much people! =)
    just remind me there a compact digi cam(olympus) that shockproof(5ft) waterproof(10ft) its weather proof too. ...well u can choose this model for ur next compact cam.

    just wondering... which brand of the DSLR will first come out wit shockproof & waterproof? ......

  16. #16
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Dropping Camera

    Quote Originally Posted by ioriroger View Post
    just remind me there a compact digi cam(olympus) that shockproof(5ft) waterproof(10ft) its weather proof too. ...well u can choose this model for ur next compact cam.

    just wondering... which brand of the DSLR will first come out wit shockproof & waterproof? ......
    Gonna be huge and expensive...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •