Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678

Thread: Warning: Immigration screening at Melbourne, Australia.

Default Re: Warning: Immigration screening at Melbourne, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    Agreed here....

No matter where you are in the world - there will be people who are racist and there will be people who aren't. There is a whole spectrum of different views and beliefs, so taking a random sample and applying what you observe in that one sample to the whole population is downright naive.

I've personally lived in Australia for over 20 years and have been fortunate enough not to experience any such racism that I remember (apart from some name calling back in school) - but maybe I'm not sensitive enough to it - I have heard about incidents from others.

To the posters who say that their bad experience in a certain country means they won't go back there again - well, it's up to you, and I have no business telling you otherwise, but if you take a step back and think about it, it's all a part of life, you'll get good and bad experiences no matter where you are. If you apply the behavior of a small sub section of a society onto to the whole society, then you are as guilty of the same crime as the small sub section.
    Yup... You are right... It is my choice and I do not wish to go back to Australia...

What I do not like is posters sweeping away my experience just because it does not coincide with theirs... Hey! I am able to acknowledge that Singaporeans can be rude especially to strangers... I don't slam people who criticized Singapore... I think they made a valid point base on their experience...

I would rather people come forward and assure people like me that majority of the Australian are not racist... Period...

I would go where I like and stay away where I MAY not like... No offence to anyone but I think it is within my personal right to choose?

Anyway, as I have mention earlier I am glad to here that my experience is exclusive... And from some of the posts, majority of the Ozzies seems to be alright...

Count it as my luck... Should have bought ToTo I guess...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    *trying to re-examine myself and see from what angle I look like a salesperson* naah... it was racism.

hope you can see how stupid the above statement I made sounds?

People here haven't been trying defend Westerners. They have been trying to show what it means to take a huge brush, dip it in a small bottle of paint, and paint the entire Western world uniformly (in this case Australia).

And that pride you speak of, is what is known as false pride. And that pride is what lead to wars during the past.

On the same topic, and keeping it related to photography, have a look at the works of Tseng Kwong Chi. http://www.munatseng.org/tsengkwongchi.htm.
    Well, it would seem like you are using the same hugh brush painting Singaporeans uniformly too in your earlier post too?

I don't think you are... So let's cool it...

Friends?

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    and I am still in Singapore four years hence? it should tell you something, no?

friends, sure. buy kopi-o as Singaporeans often say.
    Great!

I want Ga Dai (more sweet)...

Quote Originally Posted by slooow View Post
    start your sentence with a familiar accent/slang to them.... they will be happy and will love to talk to you

something like... "GOOD DYA MATE! HOW YOU DOING?? [BIG GRIN HELPS]"

if they keep a little shy/quiet... ask about the weather... it changes very fast, their mood changes faster hahahaha

"HOW IS THE WEATHER HERE? STILL COLD? READ IN THE PAPERS THAT SUN LOOKS BRIGHT AND LOVELY"

i never had problems entering brisbane sydney or melbourne cos i know they love "good days" and "good sunshine"

hehehe

hi sloow...
    good approach...
    once was at the immigration.. they must have had the latest immigration software , hardware and all that.
    but the sunlight was right into the screen and the poor immigration office had to tear out some cardboard as shade around the monitor.
    had a long flight, but still managed to point to the cardboard and said to him " very high tech", we both had a good luff.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Like breaking the traffic laws or pulling a Too Fast, Too Furious?

Yup. The thrill of driving alone, somewhere out there and the priceless photos which says, "I had done it." Its all abt doing something alone, going all the way out alone.

These overwhelm the 101 things I have to take note of, from speed limits and possible carjackers to the bounding wild kangaroo crashing headlong into my car, breakdowns, etc.
    Fatigue is what you would have to worry about..getting to that spot is LOOOOOONGGGGGGGGGGG>......

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3678